The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks Like someone has finally come up with a Cheap and Proper SS AMP Kit  (Read 18833 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »

Take a good hard close look at the circuit card that one has to build...

It is all surface mounted components!

Good luck with that!!

Stan (W9FIB) thanks for the post, I could not have said it better. That was exactly what I was thinking.

AC0TX in all fairness he does say that surface mounted parts are already on the boards.  Although he does not state if ALL the surface mounted parts are on the board  Roll Eyes  Once again a lack of clear documentation. 

4X6HP I think that if he wants to keep relisting the amplifier endlessly on eBay or to stick to the Russian market then he can keep on doing what he is doing.  If he wants to break into the US market and make good money he needs to commit himself to the western market and present the kind of information that hams over here want to see.  Nobody is going to pay money for a product that has just a little bit of scattered forum info.

My suggestion to UT2FW is to get a complete kit (with all the parts) into the hands of someone technical who speaks and writes in English and not (chinglish or Rusklish) have him do an assembly video.  From unboxing, to showing the parts in the kit and what parts he received separately that do not come with the kit.
Then some snippet videos of him doing the assembly and finally a clear HD video of the Amp being tested.  Lastly a price breakdown on how much the fully assembled kit cost and how many hours it took to assemble.  If he does that Hams will be able to judge how expensive it really is and how much work is involved.  If the final price is good he will sell many amps.

73s
Rob
KD8MJR

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »

Take a good hard close look at the circuit card that one has to build...

It is all surface mounted components!

Good luck with that!!

That was the other unclear statement in the eBay listing. The seller claims that all of the surface mounted components are installed.
Or am I on the wrong track???
Fred
AC0TX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »

I stand corrected
A closer look does reveal that the surface mount components are indeed soldered onto the boards
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 07:30:57 AM »

I stand corrected
A closer look does reveal that the surface mount components are indeed soldered onto the boards

That's pretty good news. We still won't know until someone from this forum buys one of these from eBay. It may seem like gambling and wasting a good amount of money. Especially that $118 is for shipping.

There has been an update in RED that the final SD2933's ARE NOT included, by both sellers; one in Slovakia and another seller in Slovenia.
So our comments are being watched and translated. So without the finals it's not any better than buying a new and tested and certified unit from Ameritron, if they are the cheapest offered.
I got a nice deal from HRO on a used ALS 600 with 10M. Supposedly an export model, for $1120 with linear P.S.

Fred
KD5OEI

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2015, 07:38:08 PM »

It's pretty nice and yeah the "what you get" could be done better. If you get all but the four finals, OK. It didn't seem clear if the power supply was included but surely it must be?

Lots of comments about how much time it might take. Kits might have been to save a lot of $ at one time in the past but today they are as much for the pleasure.

It would take no more time to build this nice amp than to build a simple GG tube linear amp from junkbox parts, for example from a 3-500Z or ceramic tube or two.

This is a real nice looking amp, it is compact, and its certainly possible to include your own modifications.

I see little to no mention of 6 meters, not on the front panel, yet there is a LPF included for it. That is a plus.

OK heh go fund me or send me one for free and I'll donate the time and care to complete it properly, and document it all.
A local friend has the necessary calibrated test gear so the important lab measurements would be covered. 8-)
4X6HP

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 03:48:01 AM »

I will answer to some frequenly asked questions:
1. Is not possible to compare DN-600 with ALS-600. In ALS-600 4xMRF150. In DN-600 4xSD2933 or 4xSD4933. MRF150 – is 150W, SD2933 – is 300W.
2. On UT2FW's forum, many diferent DN-600 pictures. PA DN-600 was annonced in 2010 year. During 5 years, thsi amp pass few modifications. The final version is with SD4933. Post here some pictures from UT2FW forum.
3. On UT2FW forum, i see PA pics from VK4AMG. He have used some DN-600 parts to assamble his own amplifier.
4. To KD5OEI – i can ask UT2FW, about your offer to help with DN-600 documentation and assembly.

73! Yuli 4X6HP
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »

OK heh go fund me or send me one for free and I'll donate the time and care to complete it properly, and document it all.
A local friend has the necessary calibrated test gear so the important lab measurements would be covered. 8-)

Are you sure about that offer  Wink
I would build one for him, I would video tape the build in stages and I would video tape the final amp and run some tests and edit and upload the videos to YouTube, but no way on Earth would I be doing documentation!
I did software and hardware documentation at one point in my career and believe me it is a lot of work.  Your talking at least a 60+ page assembly, user manual, with dozens of photos and illustrations.  It will take you hundreds of hours to do it right.   When I wrote software I spent more time on the documentation than I did on the actual code.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: