The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Exploring World Below 530 Kcs With a K3 (or the new K3S)  (Read 7753 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »

Exploring the World Below 530 Kcs With a K3 or the new K3S

"As a 16 yr old high school senior in 1956/57, I worked part-time at a coastal marine station as a relief operator.
500 Kcs [600 m] was the “Holy Frequency,”1 … in addition to being the International Maritime Distress frequency,
it was a calling frequency and basically the world's party line, and it was very busy, especially at night.
Graduation and off to college and that was essentially my last contact with the Holy Frequency, until the KSYN3A
arrived a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as I had it installed, and all the “wireless” behind the radio rack connected again, I noticed a real
improvement in the sound of my QSK CW, both in the headphones and on the air in a second receiver. But,
while promises of improved QSK and lower phase noise were an attraction, the big one for me was the fact that
my K3 would now tune down as low as 100 KHz. I've had a Palomar LF/MF up-converter for a number of years
with an IF in 80 meters, however the 80 meter bleed through was so high and it was so insensitive that since
LORAN-C shut down2 I had only heard two NDB's3 over near the San Francisco Bay area. So, I began a quest
to see what I could hear below 530 KHz.... [much more]"  by K6DGW

[note that new K3S model is supposed to have upgraded LF performance, including some very limited transmitting capability down there] http://www.elecraft.com/manual/Below%20AM%20Broadcast.pdf

K3S Spec sheet
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K3S%20Data%20Sheet%20rev%20A1.pdf
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:54 AM »

Exploring the World Below 530 Kcs With a K3 or the new K3S

"As a 16 yr old high school senior in 1956/57, I worked part-time at a coastal marine station as a relief operator.
500 Kcs [600 m] was the “Holy Frequency,”1 … in addition to being the International Maritime Distress frequency,
it was a calling frequency and basically the world's party line, and it was very busy, especially at night.
Graduation and off to college and that was essentially my last contact with the Holy Frequency, until the KSYN3A
arrived a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as I had it installed, and all the “wireless” behind the radio rack connected again, I noticed a real
improvement in the sound of my QSK CW, both in the headphones and on the air in a second receiver. But,
while promises of improved QSK and lower phase noise were an attraction, the big one for me was the fact that
my K3 would now tune down as low as 100 KHz. I've had a Palomar LF/MF up-converter for a number of years
with an IF in 80 meters, however the 80 meter bleed through was so high and it was so insensitive that since
LORAN-C shut down2 I had only heard two NDB's3 over near the San Francisco Bay area. So, I began a quest
to see what I could hear below 530 KHz.... [much more]"  by K6DGW

[note that new K3S model is supposed to have upgraded LF performance, including some very limited transmitting capability down there] http://www.elecraft.com/manual/Below%20AM%20Broadcast.pdf

K3S Spec sheet
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K3S%20Data%20Sheet%20rev%20A1.pdf

Way too expensive for a SWL receiver.  The "plasticy" sounding audio does not help either.
N1NQC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:20 AM »

Hey  'OD,

In the past I have done extensive work down below  530 Kc. Not sure how many beacons are left down there, this mode of navigation seems to be on the wane-fast.

Also long wave broadcasts seem to be going away fast as well.I just do propagation "gauging" by listening to the really low stuff below 100 Kc .I also do natural radio/lightning work at around 7 Kc.

Maybe check out the Longwave Club of America - LWCA.

K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: