The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nigeria Introduces Radio "Dandal Kura" on 9940khz  (Read 8908 times)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »

http://www.albawaba.com/editorchoice/nigeria%E2%80%99s-freedom-radio-takes-battle-boko-haram-air-waves-701212

One hour daily program on 9940khz set to expand to 3 hours with hopes for full time schedule.

"Boko Haram controls people by inducing fear. Without alternatives, people are very much under the influence of Boko Haram's propaganda," says Wada. "Through Dandal Kura ["Big Hall"], we try to work against the propaganda by giving listeners objective information."

Dandal Kura, which means "the big hall" in Kanuri, was initially set up in January as a three-month pilot project funded by United States development agency USAID. Since April, the programme is managed and run by Freedom Radio, a private broadcaster based in Kano.

Note comments that shortwave radios are commonly available in local markets for the equivalent of US $3.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:56:59 AM by KB4QAA » Logged

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »

NEW shortwave radios? Or used ones? I figure that used radios are all over the place in the third world. If new radios, then that is impressive. I've heard that new Tecsuns sell in China for around $20, but they've had bad inflation in China since that estimate was published, so it may be more like $30-40. Anyway, I will try to log this one in the evenings California time when Africa is audible.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:14:55 PM by KJ6ZOL » Logged
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »

NEW shortwave radios? Or used ones? I figure that used radios are all over the place in the third world. If new radios, then that is impressive. I've heard that new Tecsuns sell in China for around $20, but they've had bad inflation in China since that estimate was published, so it may be more like $30-40. Anyway, I will try to log this one in the evenings California time when Africa is audible.

You can buy a new "Pocket Radio Compact Kaide KK-9 TV FM AM SW1-7 Receiver" on eBay for $2.75 (plus $4.89 for shipping to the U.S. from Hong Kong). I have no doubt that a Nigerian importer could obtain a large number in a single lot, thereby reducing the unit shipping price to the point where he could come close to selling these radios for around $3.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »

You can buy a new "Pocket Radio Compact Kaide KK-9 TV FM AM SW1-7 Receiver" on eBay for $2.75 (plus $4.89 for shipping to the U.S. from Hong Kong). I have no doubt that a Nigerian importer could obtain a large number in a single lot, thereby reducing the unit shipping price to the point where he could come close to selling these radios for around $3.

Hm. I haven't checked Ebay for SW radios recently, obviously. Such a radio wouldn't be much of a performer to Westerners, but it would be sufficient to pick up a signal specifically sent to Nigeria from Ascension Island, which the article says is where the tx is located. I believe that Ascension is a BBC facility, and is still used to send signals to Africa. Another interesting note is that FM is usually used for Nigerian domestic broadcasts. I suspect that widespread use of FM is the reason for the sharp decline in tropical band SW stn's. A majority of the world's population now lives in cities, which makes FM more practical. It also makes these stn's more vulnerable to expropriation or destruction by terrorists or armies-the article notes that any non-Boko Haram FM stn's in Nigeria usually end up wrecked by the terrorists.

For anybody who's curious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-Radio-Compact-Kaide-KK-9-TV-FM-AM-SW1-7-Receiver-/140540678066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8e08fb2

I believe this is the listing you saw. As I thought, really cheap construction and analog dial, but a godsend in Africa, where hundreds of millions live on less than $2/day. This puppy would be only a couple day's wages, well within the reach of the average African.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »

Amazing radio for the price.  I'm sure they are prized possessions for a poor African.

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:08 AM »

In areas where there is no internet, reliable mains or car battery power, cheap battery and solar portables are a direct connection to the news and outreach for many people.
 http://makezine.com/2010/09/30/maker-challenge-fm-radio-kit-for-th/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: