The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB3, Chirp and win7pro  (Read 3538 times)
KA7ARA

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »

I cannot program either my UV-5R or my KG-UV3D on a new laptop running win7 pro and USB3.  Am using a prolific cord and have downloaded the required 3.2.0 driver.  Device manager verifies the driver is installed and operating correctly and said to use com 3.  Try as I might it will not read from either radio.  I tried other ports to no avail.  This same cord and radios work OK on USB2 from my Vista machine and also my old win7 home until the win7 machine died.  Has anyone ever used Chirp with USB3, win7 pro and made it work?  Oh yes, my old USB2 devices work OK on the newer system..

73, ka7ara  Jim
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:39:14 AM »

I cannot program either my UV-5R or my KG-UV3D on a new laptop running win7 pro and USB3.  Am using a prolific cord and have downloaded the required 3.2.0 driver.  Device manager verifies the driver is installed and operating correctly and said to use com 3.  Try as I might it will not read from either radio.  I tried other ports to no avail.  This same cord and radios work OK on USB2 from my Vista machine and also my old win7 home until the win7 machine died.  Has anyone ever used Chirp with USB3, win7 pro and made it work?  Oh yes, my old USB2 devices work OK on the newer system..

73, ka7ara  Jim

My laptop has USB 3 ports and I am able to program the UV-5R, UV-B5, and UV-82 radios I have with CHIRP with no problem.  Sounds like there is some problem with your laptop's USB ports.  There is nothing about the USB 3 port in general that would make it not work, because they also are backward compatible with USB 2.   When you use the programming cable it is using USB 2, not 3 anyhow.
KA7ARA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »

Wondering what chip your cable has in it.  The chip in my cable is a Prolific, perhaps if it had the FTDI chip it might work.  I hear they are the chip of choice.

Jim ka7ara
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

Wondering what chip your cable has in it.  The chip in my cable is a Prolific, perhaps if it had the FTDI chip it might work.  I hear they are the chip of choice.

Jim ka7ara

prolific clone
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 04:25:19 AM »

You might try an older driver run in compatibility mode.
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:24:36 AM »

I experienced the same problem on Win 7 Pro - it flat would not work and I wasted a couple of hours trying to get it to work.

Then I plugged the device into my 8.1 laptop and it immediately recognized it and was able to use CHIRP. I have no idea why this is so, but who am I to argue with success?

Hate to think what any of this stuff will do under Win 10!
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:56:03 AM »

I experienced the same problem on Win 7 Pro - it flat would not work and I wasted a couple of hours trying to get it to work.

Then I plugged the device into my 8.1 laptop and it immediately recognized it and was able to use CHIRP. I have no idea why this is so, but who am I to argue with success?

Hate to think what any of this stuff will do under Win 10!

My prolific clone works fine in preview Windows 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: