The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RKR Designs LLC / Ten-Tec / Alpha Amplifiers  (Read 296524 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 04:37:36 AM »

Guys I hate to say it but JX is exactly right.  Who would buy a Ten Tec radio or an Alpha Amp at even those discounted prices if they said they were about to close the doors?  This is exactly what happens when companies are bought out. The new parent company sells off the inventory and liquidate the acquired companies assets. This Business model was perfected in the 1980's during the Reagan era.

Well if TenTec is using that so-called model perfected during the Reagan era, then I guess TenTec will be experiencing some unprecedented growth since that is what happened to business and jobs in the 1980s when the economy exploded with growth. Looking forward to seeing this happen with TenTec.

Reagan era job growth was at the expense of a lot of jobs in other areas. Reaganomics increased national debt over 30 fold in 8 years and laid ground work for future debt increases. (it was the begining of borrowing and spending money at a rate faster than nation could afford normally and let future politicians worry about how to pay it back and blame them for debt you their predecessors created) Social Security will go broke soon if not fixed because its surplus's, that were invested in past, Reagan used on the debt to mask effect of tax cuts and size of debt. No thought or concern was given to future impact on SS. The rich got richer and average person got by until bubble burst many years later. With TenTec the owners "tax cut" is selling of assets for quick profit and living with a unsustainable profit margin. They can get more money quietly liquidating than announcing it is closing its doors and having a fire sale. You will see more and more item disappear for tentec until there are defunct.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »

Guys I hate to say it but JX is exactly right.  Who would buy a Ten Tec radio or an Alpha Amp at even those discounted prices if they said they were about to close the doors?  This is exactly what happens when companies are bought out. The new parent company sells off the inventory and liquidate the acquired companies assets. This Business model was perfected in the 1980's during the Reagan era.

Well if TenTec is using that so-called model perfected during the Reagan era, then I guess TenTec will be experiencing some unprecedented growth since that is what happened to business and jobs in the 1980s when the economy exploded with growth. Looking forward to seeing this happen with TenTec.

Reagan era job growth was at the expense of a lot of jobs in other areas. Reaganomics increased national debt over 30 fold in 8 years and laid ground work for future debt increases. (it was the begining of borrowing and spending money at a rate faster than nation could afford normally and let future politicians worry about how to pay it back and blame them for debt you their predecessors created) Social Security will go broke soon if not fixed because its surplus's, that were invested in past, Reagan used on the debt to mask effect of tax cuts and size of debt. No thought or concern was given to future impact on SS. The rich got richer and average person got by until bubble burst many years later. With TenTec the owners "tax cut" is selling of assets for quick profit and living with a unsustainable profit margin. They can get more money quietly liquidating than announcing it is closing its doors and having a fire sale. You will see more and more item disappear for tentec until there are defunct.

I will add to that, the jobs that were created from the Regan era and since are service based jobs (think nail salons and tattoo parlors) while the good paying jobs in manufacturing started fleeing the country.  The difference between the two types of jobs are one pays well and typically either provides benefits or pays well enough the workers can afford them. The other one pays minimum wages with no benefits.  I think we all know which is which.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:32 AM »

I will add to that, the jobs that were created from the Regan era and since are service based jobs (think nail salons and tattoo parlors) while the good paying jobs in manufacturing started fleeing the country.  The difference between the two types of jobs are one pays well and typically either provides benefits or pays well enough the workers can afford them. The other one pays minimum wages with no benefits.  I think we all know which is which.

We saw the birth of "trickle down economics" or also known as Voodo Economics under Reagan (that later caused big recession). The philosophy here is that give massive breaks to wealthy and and hope they invest it to create low paying jobs in US and allow them to export jobs and get a tax break for it too. There are those that never want to see debt go away as they are making hundreds of billions of dollars off interest on it. The scary part is debt was a mere 160 billion when Reagan took office during which he increased to nearly 4 trillion (before using SS surplus) If debt had been paid down then and taxes not cut so money was not needed to borrow to run government we would have saved several trillion today in interest that could have gone to inter-structure. Until congress and get serious and raise taxes and cuts spending in some area well will only get in deeper. It is not possible to cut our way out of this debt but there are those that believe another tax cut for wealthy will fix everything. You know during the bubble burst and when market was flooded with houses in foreclosure available for bargain prices the GOP suggested that the wealthy should be allowed to buy them up (and at bargain prices to get them off market) AND pay no taxes on gains from it. It did not get far fortunately.

WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 06:44:10 AM »

One thing has been proven over and over again is that tax cuts boost the economy and tax income then goes up more to offset the cuts. That's what happened and why we had unprecedented economic growth under Reagan. However, when Congress sees greater income, they always want to spend it and hence why the debt mostly increased. The other thing causing spending increases is when politicians see a way to buy votes through various welfare programs. The more people on the government handout list, the more votes for people giving the handouts. Hence why spending skyrocketed during this administration and has now put the U.S. on the same course as Greece.

In spite of the comments, the reality is that trickle down economics works and works very well. We have never had that much growth in the economy since WWII ended. What we have now under the current regime is stagnation. The only way unemployment went down is that millions just gave up trying to find a job and thus the government no longer counts them as unemployed. Incomes are flat, house ownership is now at the lowest rate since the 60's, labor participation rate is the lowest since the 60's, debt has more than doubled with is unprecedented in history, healthcare insurance has doubled in cost, deductibles are way up, yet 30 million are still uninsured, and the majority of people in this country when surveyed say the country is on the wrong track. Most people know the truth. When things are that bad, you are not going to see real economic growth. I think even the stock market at this point is around zero growth for the year and that usually is a leading economic indicator that the economy might start tanking again. Proof once again that the Keynesian economics used by the current regime just don't work over the long term.

That being said, the possible fading away of TenTec has more to do with competition than tax selling by the new owners. The reality is that over the last ten years, TenTec has been slow to bring out new products and its domestic competitor Elecraft has been kicking their butts. Elecraft has become more nimble and fast at bringing products to market, while TenTec slowed to a crawl. In this day and age, technology is moving too fast and for companies who cannot keep up and change, they die and fade away. We might be seeing that with TenTec now.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »

One thing has been proven over and over again is that tax cuts boost the economy and tax income then goes up more to offset the cuts. That's what happened and why we had unprecedented economic growth under Reagan. However, when Congress sees greater income, they always want to spend it and hence why the debt mostly increased. The other thing causing spending increases is when politicians see a way to buy votes through various welfare programs. The more people on the government handout list, the more votes for people giving the handouts. Hence why spending skyrocketed during this administration and has now put the U.S. on the same course as Greece.

In spite of the comments, the reality is that trickle down economics works and works very well. We have never had that much growth in the economy since WWII ended. What we have now under the current regime is stagnation. The only way unemployment went down is that millions just gave up trying to find a job and thus the government no longer counts them as unemployed. Incomes are flat, house ownership is now at the lowest rate since the 60's, labor participation rate is the lowest since the 60's, debt has more than doubled with is unprecedented in history, healthcare insurance has doubled in cost, deductibles are way up, yet 30 million are still uninsured, and the majority of people in this country when surveyed say the country is on the wrong track. Most people know the truth. When things are that bad, you are not going to see real economic growth. I think even the stock market at this point is around zero growth for the year and that usually is a leading economic indicator that the economy might start tanking again. Proof once again that the Keynesian economics used by the current regime just don't work over the long term.

That being said, the possible fading away of TenTec has more to do with competition than tax selling by the new owners. The reality is that over the last ten years, TenTec has been slow to bring out new products and its domestic competitor Elecraft has been kicking their butts. Elecraft has become more nimble and fast at bringing products to market, while TenTec slowed to a crawl. In this day and age, technology is moving too fast and for companies who cannot keep up and change, they die and fade away. We might be seeing that with TenTec now.

If you really believe "Trickled on Economics" worked, explain why the GDP shows the opposite.  You Google any site you wish to verify this, but here's one http://www.multpl.com/us-gdp-growth-rate/table/by-year  GDP during his first four years was near what it was the four years previous, and then dropped off the next four years.  People claim Reaganomics worked because they liked Ron and wanted it to work, but the truth is it did not.  The jobs created, as I stated earlier, were lower paying service jobs which can not compete in either wages or benefits with manufacturing jobs, hence the drop in GDP.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:00:34 AM by WI8P » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

This editorial message is brought  to you by...
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

I will be happy to explain. If you will recall, we went through four punishing years of Jimmy Carter when inflation skyrockets. So as you know, GDP is the value of all goods produced as measured in dollars. If inflation is causing prices to skyrocket, then it will appear as if the GDP is larger than reality. For simplicity. If my company sells widgets at $1.00 each this year and we sell one million units, we will have added $1 million to the GDP. Now the next year, if inflation has increased 20% and forced us to increase our prices 20%, then next year all things being equal, we will sell another 1 million units and have sales of $1.2 million or a 20% increase to the GDP. The reality is that there was no real increase in what we produced and sold. And to keep it simple, if everyone's business stagnated, but all had to increase their prices by 20%, the GDP would increase by 20%. Wow that looks good doesn't it. But no jobs were added.

So we had the punishing interest rates, as I recall mortgage rates in some cases got up around 18%, which slowed the economy, so the fact that Reagan did what he did with high interest rates at the beginning of his term, is remarkable. Ultimately the real unemployment rate was below 5%. Today we have a REAL unemployment rate around 10%. But the government is reporting 5.3% - reason is they stop counting the unemployed when they become hopeless and give up looking for work. They still need a job, they just cannot find one and therefore the government says, well OK then, we're not counting you.

Those of us who lived through the Reagan years and before that the Carter years, know the difference. Looking at raw numbers or statistics without all the background information is useless. This is why our schools need to teach economics and how capitalism works because today so many have no idea how the economy works and how it works best and are therefore easily duped by the politicians.

I get a kick out of people who say how good it is that Obama's budget deficit is shrinking. They think that means the country's entire debt. They don't even understand the difference between debt and budget deficit.

So frankly, this is all so off topic. Time to end it. Back to the TenTec discussion where I still hold that TenTec's woes are self inflicted and have nothing to do with tax selling of current inventory.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:18:31 PM by WB8NUT » Logged
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »

Let's see - was this topic about Ten-Tec?Huh
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 06:19:15 AM »

good question! looks like the left and rights wings can't work together and crashed the proverbial plane into the ground (once again).
i am hoping RKR will release some new Ten-Tec xcvr's in the next year or two despite the eulogy JX has already given them Smiley
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 07:01:13 AM »

good question! looks like the left and rights wings can't work together and crashed the proverbial plane into the ground (once again).
i am hoping RKR will release some new Ten-Tec xcvr's in the next year or two despite the eulogy JX has already given them Smiley

That's the issue I raised. If it takes them a year or two to bring out new models of transceivers, that's just not going to cut it. Their competitors are just moving faster. TenTec has to introduce new radios much more quickly. You cannot announce radios such as the Patriot, then take another year to deliver it. Just too slow. I hope this inventory reduction means that something is going to be introduced in the next few months. If that is the case, it may show new leadership and direction for TenTec.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »

Hi,

The three biggest lies:
1. The check is in the mail.
2. I will respect you in the morning.
3. There will be no changes after the acquisition.

John W5JON
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:44:09 AM by W5JON » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »

I will be happy to explain. If you will recall, we went through four punishing years of Jimmy Carter when inflation skyrockets. So as you know, GDP is the value of all goods produced as measured in dollars. If inflation is causing prices to skyrocket, then it will appear as if the GDP is larger than reality. For simplicity. If my company sells widgets at $1.00 each this year and we sell one million units, we will have added $1 million to the GDP. Now the next year, if inflation has increased 20% and forced us to increase our prices 20%, then next year all things being equal, we will sell another 1 million units and have sales of $1.2 million or a 20% increase to the GDP. The reality is that there was no real increase in what we produced and sold. And to keep it simple, if everyone's business stagnated, but all had to increase their prices by 20%, the GDP would increase by 20%. Wow that looks good doesn't it. But no jobs were added.

So we had the punishing interest rates, as I recall mortgage rates in some cases got up around 18%, which slowed the economy, so the fact that Reagan did what he did with high interest rates at the beginning of his term, is remarkable. Ultimately the real unemployment rate was below 5%. Today we have a REAL unemployment rate around 10%. But the government is reporting 5.3% - reason is they stop counting the unemployed when they become hopeless and give up looking for work. They still need a job, they just cannot find one and therefore the government says, well OK then, we're not counting you.

Those of us who lived through the Reagan years and before that the Carter years, know the difference. Looking at raw numbers or statistics without all the background information is useless. This is why our schools need to teach economics and how capitalism works because today so many have no idea how the economy works and how it works best and are therefore easily duped by the politicians.

I get a kick out of people who say how good it is that Obama's budget deficit is shrinking. They think that means the country's entire debt. They don't even understand the difference between debt and budget deficit.

So frankly, this is all so off topic. Time to end it. Back to the TenTec discussion where I still hold that TenTec's woes are self inflicted and have nothing to do with tax selling of current inventory.

I always love it when someone says "Time to end it" after they've had their say.  So be it.   Roll Eyes
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »

Why tax sales?  It could be a means of generating some fast cash, to cover expenses.

The Orion II was a great radio, too bad the parts were becoming obsolete..  TenTec should have had a successor in line, but I think they knew that the sale was inevitable, and left it up to the new owners to expand and improve the line.

Elecraft stole a lot of sales. If TenTec could have kept up with the current trends, and came out with a larger panel radio with a simple menu, they could have done much better.

I own several TenTec rigs, mostly Paragon II, and a few Omni VI series.  So long as I can repair them, I'll probably keep them running, since they meet my needs and work quite well... providing the birdies on ten meters isn't a deal killer!

Pete
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »

Why tax sales?  It could be a means of generating some fast cash, to cover expenses.

The Orion II was a great radio, too bad the parts were becoming obsolete..  TenTec should have had a successor in line, but I think they knew that the sale was inevitable, and left it up to the new owners to expand and improve the line.

Elecraft stole a lot of sales. If TenTec could have kept up with the current trends, and came out with a larger panel radio with a simple menu, they could have done much better.

I own several TenTec rigs, mostly Paragon II, and a few Omni VI series.  So long as I can repair them, I'll probably keep them running, since they meet my needs and work quite well... providing the birdies on ten meters isn't a deal killer!

Pete

I do hope they get their act together. I have owned many TenTec radios. The Paragon II, Omni VI+, Jupiter, Argo V, Rebel and the Patriot. When TenTec came out with their recent Argonaut, that's what was a clear indicator they were falling behind. The radio had missing HF bands and no 6 Meter capability. In other words, it had fewer bands than its predecessor. In my mind they were going backwards instead of forward. When you bring out a new model, you usually improve and add capability, not provide less. Not to mention the time it took to bring it out. Lack of speed and innovation will quickly kill a company today. Elecraft has obviously figured out how to do it successfully (I do not own any Elecraft radios) and TenTec could learn a thing or two from them.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Do not hold you breath. Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu does not sell of old rigs when there is not a new one out or nearly out. By dumping rigs with no replacement they are losing market they will never get back. But if you are going out of business quietly, you do  not worry about lost future sales. I know many want to believe their not going away but writing is on the wall. They bought TenTec for some quick cash for assets. We have seen this many times with other mergers. You kill of old lines or low profit products and liquidate assets for cash. When Boeing mergered with McDonaldDouglas  They killed off highly successful MD8x/9x series aircraft that had a excellent track record and excellent engine out performance with near center line thrust vs 737 that replaced it. Jobs were lost and consumer have less choice in end so someone can make more profit.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: