The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 updates to be automatic and mandatory for Home users  (Read 18904 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »

This should be interesting:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-updates-to-be-automatic-and-mandatory-for-home-users/

Rick KK4GGL
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »

Stuff that for a game of soldiers.
I got laughed at for suggesting that Windows 10 would go into an update when you're in the middle of something important

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »

Stuff that for a game of soldiers.
I got laughed at for suggesting that Windows 10 would go into an update when you're in the middle of something important

Windows 8.1 already forces a reboot after repeatedly putting it off until later.  It reaches a point where the reboot happens no matter what you are doing.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:50:46 PM »

Terrible.  Another Microsoft bungle.  I frequently run my station remotely from a laptop, connected sometimes to rather slow internet or cellular.  One time I was giving a demo of remote operation and Windows started updating.  Horrible, horrible response.  Demo went down the tube.  As soon as I could, I switched to the manual update option. I can just imagine trying to work in a contest or some rare DX when Microsoft does its auto thing.  I will stay with Win7, and maybe by time Microsoft forces me to update to 10, I'll switch to Linux. 
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »

I have been reading this at Slashdot where it is a very hot topic with 600 comments so far.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/17/1226229/windows-10-home-updates-to-be-automatic-and-mandatory

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:15:21 AM »

maybe a change:

"When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates".

Btw, if you find this utililty intriguing It would be recommend one additional Windows 10 tweak. By default, System Restore is turned off. If you re-enable this feature, Windows resumes the practice of automatically creating a restore point before installing each new batch of patches from Windows Update, making it easier to roll back an entire batch of updates while you investigate which one is troublesome.
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »

I have been a previewer (beta tester) since last October - for whatever that is worth. The methods of update and restart has burned me several times - with interruptions and lost work. Hence, I have reverted back to Windows 7 - which is so much easier to work with anyway.

There are so many reasons not to want Win 10, that I will make that a different post. Suffice to say - I can see no reason to move away from Win 7.

My thinking now is to run a Win 7 machine as long as I can for tasks that are only available on Windows (TurboTax, HRD, Elecraft, and way too much anti-virus stuff). For email, browsing, spread sheets, word processing, HTML, drawing, etc. - I am using Linux Mint 17.

I believe I can fix the Elecraft problem with their version of firmware designed to run under Linux. I can do my taxes online, avoiding the problem of TurboTax's in availability in Linux. That leaves HRD - of which I use an old free version and can leave it on a task designated computer (HRD will never appear for Linux, as the current sellers have their hands full just keeping it running under Windows - I hate to think what Win 10 will do to them).

This overall approach works for well me, as I have used a dual monitor system for several years.

Bill W2BLC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:45:47 AM »

Terrible.  Another Microsoft bungle.  I frequently run my station remotely from a laptop, connected sometimes to rather slow internet or cellular. 

If you have the proper hardware it will be transparent. I have had a Win RT tablet for 2 years that auto updates and it has never been a issue with it. It tells you you have to reboot to finish update in a few days so it just does not auto reboot. Many panic when things change a bit. The are used to old slow systems with slow hard drives and slow update installs and figure a new WIN 10 system will be the same. Also long as you do not do something stupid like install Win 10 on a old system (3 years old or older) with limited resources you will be fine. (hardware has changed a LOT in last 3 years) It is those that install a new OS on a old PC and expect new like performance that are sadly mistaken and wind up doing the most bitching that its MS's fault when it is their own. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:56:07 AM »

In the beta program the updates have been forced but...
The updates are staged until the ether power off or reboot.
The only time I see home users not having a choice is when the occasional (very rare in Win-7) bad update comes down from MS that brakes something. I am expecting to be able to delay by a few days updates in Win-10 Pro, but we shall see...

In terms of forcing updates...
MS is only doing what your phone or tablet maker has been doing for a decade now.
Buying the low tier version of the operating system one can expect fewer features and choices.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:31:27 AM »

Another reason I'm sticking with W7. MS will give me no clue how big or how long the update will take and since I'm on satellite ISP, that's intolerable.

That said, I wonder if one couldn't block it through the "Access Restrictions" in the router and only allow it during my night hours when I have more data usage available. Of course that would probably lock up W10.

No thank you.
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »

Another reason I'm sticking with W7. MS will give me no clue how big or how long the update will take and since I'm on satellite ISP, that's intolerable.

That said, I wonder if one couldn't block it through the "Access Restrictions" in the router and only allow it during my night hours when I have more data usage available. Of course that would probably lock up W10.

No thank you.

That might work, and I doubt loss of access to the update server for a time would cause Win-10 to lock up.

There has been a lot of speculation on how MS will handle the distribution of Win-10.
The way it worked with the beta version is you downloaded an executable file that checked your system for compatability then it downloaded the ISO in the background. Once the ISO was downloaded the program would prompt for a reboot and would manage the installation after reboot.

We shall see what happens on Wednesday.

Anybody installing Win-10 remember to back up your data..
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »

Some make a mountain out of a molehill. Windows is always controlled by registry and you can tweak it to turn off auto update if you want. Below is for tech preview but I doubt it will change in released version.

Using Registry Editor (regedit).

1. Press "WIN+R" keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

3-  Right-click "AUOptions" from the right pane and then select "Modify" from the context menu.
Change the value to "0" and then click "OK".

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows to take effect. It'll completely turn off Auto Updates in windows 10 Technical Preview.

If you want to restore the Updates in future, just  follow same steps and set "AUOptions" value to "4".

or here is a better one yet

Click Here

It never fails to amaze the amount of computer "experts" that know nothing about tweaking registry setting in Windows. Been doing it for nearly 20 years now. Even the default boot to Metro shell on Win 8 was easily fixed in less than a minute with a registry tweak yet many panicked and freaked out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:56:47 AM by W8JX » Logged

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »

Some make a mountain out of a molehill. Windows is always controlled by registry and you can tweak it to turn off auto update if you want. Below is for tech preview but I doubt it will change in released version.

Using Registry Editor (regedit).

1. Press "WIN+R" keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

3-  Right-click "AUOptions" from the right pane and then select "Modify" from the context menu.
Change the value to "0" and then click "OK".

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows to take effect. It'll completely turn off Auto Updates in windows 10 Technical Preview.

If you want to restore the Updates in future, just  follow same steps and set "AUOptions" value to "4".

or here is a better one yet

Click Here

There are may people who are not even technically to do that simple tweak! So they are just out of luck because MS deems it so?
I am a MS user, but only because there are so many mainstream applications written for it.
The Microsoft OS is so "ego centric" that it wants to take over OUR computers and do whatever it pleases without the user having a say? NO GOOD, say I! What about our broken apps?  They ought to compensate people for the problems they cause!
There is less need to use MS now that I understand they are phasing out those crappy active-X sites I had to use. My go-to backup systems were always and still are Linux based. Rather than be slapped around by the marginal programming staff at MS in the future, I am going to look to migrating to Linux as the primary system.
The support termination clock is ticking on win 7...

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »

There are may people who are not even technically to do that simple tweak! So they are just out of luck because MS deems it so?

It is indeed because the mass of illiterate users that they need auto update today to keep OS secure and tweaked as needed as it is far more complex Win XP/7 era operating systems. Some would disable and never check for updates and install them and then complain when things go bad.

Many will find out the hard way what a bad idea it is to reinvest in 7 and use it on life support for 4+ years while technology advances greatly in that same time. Win 7 was developed in 2007-2008 (based on Vista) and is very dated today.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:24:56 AM by W8JX » Logged

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »

It is indeed because the mass of illiterate users that they need auto update today to keep OS secure and tweaked as needed as it is far more complex Win XP/7 era operating systems. Some would disable and never check for updates and install them and then complain when things go bad.

Many will find out the hard way what a bad idea it is to reinvest in 7 and use it on life support for 4+ years while technology advances greatly in that same time. Win 7 was developed in 2007-2008 (based on Vista) and is very dated today.

It's sort of like taking my car to the mechanic to fix a basic problem, then getting it back with a blower and hydraulics installed because he "thought I should have it".
There is so much on the MS OS that I don't use and don't care about already! It's just bloat.
Don't get me started about things such as the "automatic" features in MS word that are counter productive in the REAL WORLD.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: