The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 updates to be automatic and mandatory for Home users  (Read 18901 times)
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 08:54:28 PM »

This is just my opinion but I think by now we all know that almost all Windows versions have reliability issues until they release the first service pack.  If your computer needs are minimal and you like toying with a new OS then go for it.  If you do mission critical work then it's always best to wait until service pack one comes out before upgrading.  I have no problems paying the $99 or whatever, so long as my applications continue to work.  If my current programs don't work and I am told I need to fork over several hundred dollars for new versions then I will be on Win7 for a long time to come.

73s
Rob
Win-2K did...
Win-XP I didn't have any reliability issues with it at all.
Win-Vista... So I am told.
Win-7 Nope... None that I saw.
Win-8 ummmmm... Never used it except during beta testing..Didn't like it..
Before 2K..
I think you have to go back to DOS 6.22 before you find another MS OS that was good out of the box.
DOS 5.0 was also good out of the box.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »

Win XP needed a few service packs, I think three, but the first one solved most of the problems.  Win8 needed one because users were complaining like hell about the first versions lack of flexibility.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »

XP was one of the worse releases, out of the gate, that Microsoft ever made. SP1 only barely made it work and most sound devices and usb controllers required special patches to make them work at all. It took SP2 before it resembled something usable. There were reasons why most oems provided both Win2000 and XP stickers on their products.

Win8, outside of a glaringly missing start menu, worked well from day one. I don't remember having any issues outside of my older scanner not being supported. Win8.1 improved performance and threatened the return of a start button. Still waiting. I don't remember anything about flexibility.

Win10 promised the return of the start menu.....I guess the guys are still on crack. The have done more work under the hood and it shows. It's a good platform and maybe the people at Microsoft will sober up and return the start menu to what it was supposed to be. It's really stupid when it's the only thing they got wrong.....again.

Peter
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:32 PM »

I must have been in the minority that had no trouble iwth XP. I bought XP the week after it was released. The only blue screen I ever saw was the day my flat bed scanner quit in the middle of a scan. Win-XP unlike Win-2K was wide open in terms of security, SP-1 fixed part of that, but the big change that came in SP-1 was support for drives larger than 120GB.  SP-2 had Windows Firewall in it amont other things.

Win-8 I put it on a machine that ran XP really well and that turned that machine into a dog. Two weeks later I had XP back on that machine. The same machine ran Win-7 well but it was time to retire that computer, it was twelve years old. (P-4 3.8GHZ, 2Giga ram overclocked and water cooled)     

So MS says Win-10 is the last Windows operating system, I wonder what they are thinking will be the OS in use ten years from now.
WA4BCS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

Grin Win 10 works great on my lap top. But then again I had no problems with 8.1.It worked great in the desktop version. Lots of people really resist change!!

Ben
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »

I put Win10 on three computers today with no issues. First was an XP laptop that I had upgraded to Win7. Second was a desktop that came with Win7. Third was a desktop that came with Win8.1.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

I put Win10 on three computers today with no issues. First was an XP laptop that I had upgraded to Win7. Second was a desktop that came with Win7. Third was a desktop that came with Win8.1.

Wow talk about leaping in with both feet Cheesy
Why not do one first and see if it's compatible with all your software?

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »

Win10 promised the return of the start menu.....I guess the guys are still on crack. The have done more work under the hood and it shows. It's a good platform and maybe the people at Microsoft will sober up and return the start menu to what it was supposed to be. It's really stupid when it's the only thing they got wrong.....again.

One of our techs told me yesterday that it does or can be configured to have an exact start menu like win7.  He seemed pretty pleased with it. BTW he hated win8 so I have a lot of faith in his assessment.

Check out these steps for a Win7 look and feel.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

Rob
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:56:46 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »

Wow talk about leaping in with both feet Cheesy
Why not do one first and see if it's compatible with all your software?

I did them one at a time for just that reason. The laptop was first and it had the oldest software including some radio programming software that worked with a USB-Serial converter. Everything worked 100%. Then went to the next critical that had Win7 and a bunch of ham programs including digital software. Everything 100% there except for an old Dell Local Backup program (I'll just use the Windows backup). Last was the wife's Win8.1 computer with some photo software and standard e-mail stuff. No issues there.

I was pleased that the Win7 desktops after Win10 looked just like they did before the upgrade. The only difference is in the stuff on the bottom bar. All the program icons are still as they were and the docking box with programs I don't use as often is still there and working correctly. Some of the windows settings are a bit difficult to find but I don't think that's going to be a problem after I have it for a little while. Overall, I'd say that Microsoft did a good job making a smooth, automatic installation that retained all of the programs and settings and didn't break anything.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »

And another problem from MS... it seem some of your software choices don't make the transition to W10, and resetting them is  not as easy ...

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/

Rick KK4GGL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »

And another problem from MS... it seem some of your software choices don't make the transition to W10, and resetting them is  not as easy ...

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/

"When we first saw the Windows 10 upgrade experience that strips users of their choice by effectively overriding existing user preferences for the Web browser and other apps, we reached out to your team to discuss this issue. Unfortunately, it didn’t result in any meaningful progress, hence this letter.

We appreciate that it’s still technically possible to preserve people’s previous settings and defaults, but the design of the whole upgrade experience and the default settings APIs have been changed to make this less obvious and more difficult. It now takes more than twice the number of mouse clicks, scrolling through content and some technical sophistication for people to reassert the choices they had previously made in earlier versions of Windows. It’s confusing, hard to navigate and easy to get lost."

So I can't make Firefox my preferred browser? And I might not be able to use Firefox applications and it's plug ins?

Screw that

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

"When we first saw the Windows 10 upgrade experience that strips users of their choice by effectively overriding existing user preferences for the Web browser and other apps, we reached out to your team to discuss this issue. Unfortunately, it didn’t result in any meaningful progress, hence this letter.

We appreciate that it’s still technically possible to preserve people’s previous settings and defaults, but the design of the whole upgrade experience and the default settings APIs have been changed to make this less obvious and more difficult. It now takes more than twice the number of mouse clicks, scrolling through content and some technical sophistication for people to reassert the choices they had previously made in earlier versions of Windows. It’s confusing, hard to navigate and easy to get lost."

So I can't make Firefox my preferred browser? And I might not be able to use Firefox applications and it's plug ins?

Screw that

Apparently you can keep  Firefox as your browser, but it apparently is much harder than in the past. I wonder if this migh prompt another ati-trust action by the EU?

Rick KK4GGL
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:24 PM »

I am not a fan of Win 10, and was a Preview tester since last October. That said, there is a lot of misinformation floating about - among that regards FireFox.

I had NO problem in running FireFox as my web browser. It was my default web browser when running Win 10. No problems were noted along the way.

Perhaps some of the reported difficulties involve how Win 10 was installed. The upgrade method is the "easy way out" and is popular among the less skilled computer users. It is not the preferred method, which is a clean install.

Sure, you have to do a little work, such as reinstalling your various software(s) - but you end up with a system carrying no baggage.

So far as your personal files, data, info, whatever - save it on a thumb drive before you start any changes. Then you can copy from that device to the computer running Win 10 - after you have it all set up and running.

If you do not understand what I have said - then I suggest you proceed with the upgrade method and take your chances. This is not meant as an insult - it is just a statement of fact.

Personally, if you are running Win 7 and are happy with it, I would delay installing Win 10 for at least 6 months - to allow for many of the bugs to get fixed. That is my plan at this time.

Of note, my primary everyday computer for Internet, email, spread sheets, etc. runs Linux Mint. I run HRD, TurboTax, etc. on my Windows machine - as none of the aforementioned have the ability to run on Linux.

Bill W2BLC

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »

And another problem from Microsoft...

"Who needs cloud when users can host downloads for you?"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_torrent_updates/

"It works by creating a local cache and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Windows sends parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:38:26 PM by KK4GGL » Logged

Rick KK4GGL
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »

When I upgraded to Win10 it kept Fire Fox but changed the default browser to Edge. Open Fire Fox and it will ask if you want to make it the default browser. Click yes and the setting is changed. It did the same with Explorer. I have since started using Edge as it has some nice features. Edge could import all the favorites from Explorer but not from Fire Fox.

I found the three upgrades I did to be pretty seamless and haven't run across any programs (ham radio or other) that won't run under Win10. If it ran under Win7 it should run under Win10.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: