The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Membership Dues Increase  (Read 108465 times)
W2UIS

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »

This week the ARRL announced it will increase the annual membership dues by $10. Beginning 2016 a yearly membership will cost $49. Will this cause you to leave the ARRL?

"07/20/2015
Meeting over the weekend in Windsor, Connecticut, the ARRL Board of Directors has approved a $10 increase in the League’s annual dues rate, effective January 1, 2016. In doing so, the Board adopted a recommendation of the Administration & Finance Committee. ARRL basic dues have been held at $39 a year since 2001." (From arrl.org)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:32:48 PM by W2UIS » Logged
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »

For those so inclined, it sounds like a good time to consider life membership yet in 2015. Right now it is $975 / yr which means that will pay back in less than 20 years at next year's rate - and that's not even counting future increases.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »

Glen, that's a good point.

Those of us who may not last 20 years a 3 year renewal prior to the end of the year is a good option. The rate today is $111 for 3 years or $37 per year.

I wonder why they don't offer a digital QST membership level? That could reduce dues by $15 per year ($24).
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »

A $10 jump at one time seems a bit much. At $49 a year you know many will not renew. Maybe the League should consider cutting back on all the world travel they do. And how many staff do they send to Dayton every year? Times are tough for everyone especially for those of us who have to live on Social Security alone.

A life membership would have been a good choice back in 1968 when I first joined. But back then  a few hundred dollars to a teenager was a small fortune we just didn't have.

K2DFC 
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »

For those on a fixed income, dues increases like this are always tough. But here is an interesting sound byte from the ARRL regarding expenses:

“One of the most difficult decisions a membership organization faces is a dues increase,” Sumner said. “Over the past 14 years we have managed to hold the increase in expenses to just 19 percent, against a US inflation rate of 32 percent over the same period. We have implemented operating efficiencies that allowed reducing the staff by 15 percent while expanding the range of services to members and to Amateur Radio as a whole. We created a development program, offering to those members who have greater financial capacity an opportunity to support their national association at a higher level.”

That is an admirable job by the ARRL.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »

If you were wondering about the effect of the $10 annual dues increase relative to the price of a lifetime membership, it is now $975 and it will increase to $1225 in 2016. It appears that the ARRL formula for lifetime membership will remain 25x the annual dues rate.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »

I love the ARRL and am a big supporter. However as a business practice, holding dues steady for 14 years and then increasing them abruptly by 25 percent strikes me as counter-productive. Once upon a time I was involved in running a business that had a subscription model, and one of the things I changed was to make small increases in the subscription every year, instead of a big increases from time to time. (Admittedly this was back in the high-inflation era, but the principle is valid even in these low-inflation days I think.)

The same applies to pretty much any business if it needs to raise prices. If your market allows for small price increases every year, this is much better than big ones every few years. (Mind you, it is easier said than done!)

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:11:45 AM by KB1WSY » Logged
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 08:18:37 AM »

It is interesting to note the comments to the effect of "back then I couldn't afford life membership" in this thread and in another thread in this forum. But here they are 20-30 years later as a member of ARRL and still cannot afford it. There seems to be a lesson akin to rent vs buy buried in those messages...

- Glenn W9IQ
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:57:33 AM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »

A 25% increase all at once will have a negative effect. There are many who are members only for the magazine. Lets face it. How much longer can they afford to print and mail a magazine. They should just eliminate it now and save the expense. Make it an on-line magazine like many other have already done.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »

All digital publications are not a sure bet. TIME magazine went all digital and lost subscribers while watching their ad revenue drop by more than 12%. Not a great formula for success.

QST is the leading industry publication. Its ad revenue is impressive and that helps to offset membership dues and insure a quality publication. I would hate to see that messed up by knee jerk actions.

And we cannot forget that our membership dues are not simply paying for the magazine. If you only want a magazine subscription, consider CQ or similar.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »

Glenn,
I understand how the ARRL operates and what membership offers. I've been a member for about 45 years. All I'm trying to say is costs are going up in all facets of our lives. We have no choice but to pay the increases in food, fuel, and taxes. Membership in clubs and organizations is optional. We are not all blessed with having worked at a job that provides us with a pension check for the rest of our lives. We just try to do the best we can.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »

Hi Fred,

Congrats on the 45 years. You have me beat by two or three. I agree with what you are saying but this makes my point about life membership. Had you or I bought life membership 40 years ago, we would have been "money ahead". A good lesson for younger hams.

Meanwhile, I have submitted my life membership application  even in my advanced years. I don't foresee membership dues going down, but life expectancy is certainly going up.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

Glenn,
I sincerely hope it pays off for you. All the best for at least 25 more years.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »

The pay off is less than 20 years without taking into account future membership dues increases. And it will be an expense I never need to worry about in retirement. Younger hams take note...

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »

Great comments today.

I would like to see a membership level without QST.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: