The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Acom Amps 1200 and 2100  (Read 56049 times)
LZ1VB

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/140/8/8168.pdf
If you recalculate the the output it will be right at the 1100-1200 W long accepted as the safe and sane value. Im using 60% as AB1 efficiency on a good day.
Carl, would you show us how did you get to 1100-1200W please?
The data sheet maximum ratings lead me to 1500W at 60% efficiency. Where I am wrong?

Thanks,

Val
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »

As Reid stated IM class AB1 for this tube acceptable at only 1200 pep Pout.  I'm assuming Ep is limited to less that 2.5kv and all the rest of the column no. two specs (?) --is this the case?

Es at 325v, Eg at -60, Ip quiescent at 250 am, Ip one tone at 885 ma two tone at 650 ma, etc. for rest of column yielding PO at 1300 (if the full Loaded 2500v is on the anode.)

Does the Acom hold Ep to 2500 or less or are Ip loading recommendations less?

Rick, W3RSW
W6MTF

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »

Everyone has a medical condition, it is just a matter of time before we assume room temperature.

I did not start the belittling;

"AER you are giving me a real headache with your nonsense!
I suggest you take two aspirin! hold one aspirin between your left thumb and forefinger and do the same with the second aspirin. Then contemplate what I have to say here."

I  have a BSEE, with a Masters in Business and retired as Principal Engineer from Sprint.  I have 45 years of RF engineering and management experience. I have had my license for 57 years and I am currently doing consulting in the cell phone industry.

If you are going to call some one an Idiot at least get the sentence structure correct.

I have better things to do. Have fun!
Mike! you seem to be addicted to this forum, your 4278 posts to my 31 – a ratio of .00724638
I only came to eHam to post something about a lousy ham I encountered in order to warn others from doing business with him. I have read this forum maybe ten times in the last decade but in the process I find you throwing out nonsense so I wanted to set things straight but IMHO it appears you are intent on having the last word and you are compelled to say something. Isn’t that just to mislead others into thinking you some sort of expert? It certainly seems that way to me.
My career in electronics has been productive and I’ve never been discharged for any reason (I won’t include working in the restaurant me and my wife owned for 12 years).   I designed a VLF receiver for an Omega navigation system for EH Research, that was around 1970. In the early 70’s I worked with Bob Orban as we put the first Optimod processers on the market at Orban Associates, then I went to work at UC Lawrence Berkeley Lab as a principal in Cyclyotron Engineering.  From there I was recruited to be Supervisor of Electrical Test at The Cyclotron Corp in Berkeley until they went bankrupt after a kid they hired went and electrocuted himself on the HVPS for a 65 kW tube at MD Anderson hospital in TX.  Speaking of bankrupt - I’ve never had the need to declare bankruptcy but I understand you have. Was that after one of your career engineering contracts failed?   I probably know more about you than any of the Forum readers with the exception of some of the people you worked for in CO.   So why don’t you tell us some of your murky past? You have to realize that truth will always find a way!
After TCC failed in 1980 I began working for Varian Zylin division where they used RF to etch silicon in CVD processing equipment. From there I went to Eimac in 1983 and was there until 2013 when they eliminated the position of Applications Engineer in a cost reduction (one of many). 
Over the years I did some work for a couple broadcast stations doing proofs and maintenance, mostly for the thrill since the pay wasn’t very good.  I also operated Brandon Electronic Specialties supplying ferrite to circulator manufacturers until Ampex dropped out of the ferrite business.  And during the last 25 years I have been maintaining and building ham repeaters and I am presently in the process of rolling out the second of two 220MHz ACSB repeaters, the only ACSB ham repeaters in the US.
When at Eimac I helped people with questions about tubes for all manner of end uses, you name it and I’ve probably heard of it. There are so many unusual uses for high power rf it still amazes me when a new one comes along.  I’ve made nearly a hundred trips to various firms to assist in their needs for high power rf.  And it was hams with their amplifier questions that I had the most interest in, having been a ham since 1959 (that makes me a ham for going on 58 years), I built my own high level AM station in 1964. I’ve always loved working on QRO amplifiers.
Ironically, if you had called me with some tube related question while I was at Eimac I would have been obligated to help you and I would have been paid for that yet now I find myself doing such at no charge, while using my precious little spare time.
And with that realization comes my decision to divorce myself from this Forum with your incessant Trolling.   I suggest you find some other fool to fulfill your need to be an “expert” on, for whatever reason you seem to need to have the last word.
Reid Brandon W6MTF
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »

I made four F's and a D and daddy whipped me for concentrating too much in one subject.
VK5DWC

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2017, 03:08:55 AM »

I don't know about the US, but I received my A1200S last week in Australia, and hooked it up this morning. Only 5 watts (minimum setting on the FTDX3000) is needed for 400 watts out, which is my legal limit. Acom have obviously understated the sensitivity in the specs, but that is not a problem. I measured the output with a CRO, and it matched what power meter on the display said, exactly.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »

I  have a BSEE, with a Masters in Business and retired as Principal Engineer from Sprint.

SPRINT the company that destroys everything it touches.
Were you in KS City or a market?
Bill, AA2UK
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »

Im surprised that Sprint is still in business, what a Mickey Mouse outfit that I had to deal with at an antenna site I ran...they lasted a few years there.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

They are pretty much owned by a crazy Japanese guy Masayoshi Son. He is very wealthy and lives in the most expensive real estate transaction in US history (California). I think SoftBank entered the rabbit hole when they bought SPRINT.
When he tried to get some freqs in Japan he threatened to set himself on fire if the government wouldn't comply.
http://www.eurotechnology.com/2013/08/20/masayoshi-son-threatened-to-set-himself-on-fire-in-japans-postal-ministry/
He didn't get the freqs and well he's still alive.....
SPRINT well they are always bleeding cash all they have is cash flow and lots of debt via secured notes that are coming due.
https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-04-11/as-bad-as-sprint-s-debt-burden-looks-it-s-probably-worse
What Reid said...
Bill, AA2UK
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:02:26 PM by AA2UK » Logged
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »

After a bit of thread drift, OK, so I’ve owned the Acom 600S for a year.  It is an excellent  little amplifier.  I was happy to see that DX Engineering is supposed to have the 1200S in stock for $3450 soon. I was all set to order one when my attention came across the SPE Expert 1.3K-FA.  I had seen this amp before but was turned off by the $4400 price.  Then I found out one could be had for $3600 without a built in antenna tuner.  This put it in the price range of an Acom 1200S.  After conversing with Bob Hardie W5UQ, I found out that the 1.3K-FA will put out close to rated output fed with a stiff 120 volt line voltage.  I decided to order the Expert instead of the Acom.  I also got a set of serial cables from Dan Tassell KC5PCB to connect the amplifier to my IC-7300 & 7600. 

I have run the 7300 & 7600 with the 1.3K-FA feeding an MFJ-998 auto tuner into an OCFD for a couple of weeks now.  On 120 volts the amplifier puts out 1.2 KW effortlessly/quietly with 15-20 watts of drive and it follows both radios like a dog on a leash.  With the exception of low power tune for the MFJ-998 the setup is almost fully automatic.  We’re I used have two amplifiers and two tuners, I now only have one of each.  So far I’m really impressed with this literally little powerhouse.  At 1200 watts the amplifier appears to run a clean signal verified on SSB by operators close by.  I think I have a keeper here.

Bob Hardie and his team run a first rate distributorship.

Contrary to a previous post in this thread, the Acom 600S, 1200S, and the Expert 1.3K-FA all use LDMOS devices as far as I can tell, IE, MRFE6VP6300H, BLF188, and MRFE6VP61K25H respectively.  The Acom 600S running a pair, and the 1200S & 1.3K-FA running a single final.  If I’m mistaken, please correct me.

I love tube amplifiers but I think I’ll put my dependable AL-80A up for sale.  Heck, I may even sell the Acom 600S and get another Expert for my second QTH.

FWIW, 73
k0cwo
VE3EY

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2017, 04:04:04 AM »

Contrary to a previous post in this thread, the Acom 600S, 1200S, and the Expert 1.3K-FA all use LDMOS devices as far as I can tell, IE, MRFE6VP6300H, BLF188, and MRFE6VP61K25H respectively.  The Acom 600S running a pair, and the 1200S & 1.3K-FA running a single final.  If I’m mistaken, please correct me.

1.3K-FA actually now uses MRF1K50H.     

73 de VE3EY
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2017, 05:56:40 AM »

I stand pleasantly corrected!

73, k0cwo
N4DCD

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »

I'm not sure about the Acom 1200s (would love to have one) but the SPE 1.3k IMD is not that great.  I now have a Acom 1500 that is totally clean and I must say this Acom is the best amp I have ever had.  I have had many (check my QRZ) and its my hope the Acom 1200s will follow in the same specs as the acom 1500 IMD wise.  I have plans on pulling the trigger on a Acom 1200s after the end of the year.  So, we will see how it performs.  I would love to have a solid state amp that has low IMD or at least on par with any tube amp.  Not sure they exist.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »

I have had an ACOM 1000 for the last 2 years.  I use it for an hour in the AM and an hour in the PM 7 days a week.  It works as well today as when I bought it.  I recently bought an ACOM 2100 and placed it in service.  (Will sell the 1000 after the holidays).  I paid $3700 US for the 2100.  If anyone ever makes a quality solid state legal limit amp in this price range I will go for it.
Art
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »

DX Engineering has the new Adom 1200S solid-state amplifier in stock for $3499.
N4MIT

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »

Actually no, DX Engineering DOES NOT have the ACOM 1200s in stock.  I have had one on back-order since December 18 2016.  Each time I check the status the delivery date gets pushed back further and further.  When I placed my order I was told that I was #20 in line now the delivery date has been pushed back even further. DX Engineering is now saying maybe by the end of February.  I can't believe that it takes 3 months to build 20 amplifiers.

I looks to me that Acom can not fulfill their orders. I am having concerns about Acom's ability to ever fulfill this order and even more concerns should I ever need service on this expensive piece of equipment.   

The only 2 US distributors for the Acom 1200s are both hopelessly back-ordered. I ordered the 1200s and 04AT together.  the tuner is ready to ship but it is worthless without the amp, as there is no way to use the tuner or even power it up.  $4700 is a lot of money for something that Acom can not deliver. 

If you are considering ordering this amp, I would reconsider, unless you don't mind waiting endlessly for something that may never arrive.

Ken N4MIT Angry
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: