The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boat anchors in Hollywood  (Read 24488 times)
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:14 AM »

Until SpaceX and Virgin get the bugs sorted out.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »

Until SpaceX and Virgin get the bugs sorted out.

I seriously do not know why people get themselves wound up about this kind of thing.
NASA is in down time now while they finish off the next generation of space craft.
The new SLS rocket is nearing completion and is 20% more powerful than a Saturn 5.
The Orion capsule and service module will be able to carry double the crew of any Apollo era craft and be able to go much faster and further.  NASA is not standing still they are just retooling new craft.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »

I read somewhere that there was an early episode of "Gilligan's Island" that featured a Hallicrafters S40-B receiver that was being passed off as a transmitter (which, of course, Gilligan proceeded to destroy...)
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »

I read somewhere that there was an early episode of "Gilligan's Island" that featured a Hallicrafters S40-B receiver that was being passed off as a transmitter (which, of course, Gilligan proceeded to destroy...)
A well-deserved fate.
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »

A well-deserved fate.
So what's wrong with the S40-B? Granted it wasn't top-of-the-line in its time; more like a mid-level receiver, for 1950. Not nearly as bad as the S-38 series, though!
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 07:30:05 PM »

I recalled them as just an S-38 with a pretty face, but I now see that they did have an RF stage. No xtal filter though.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »

I remember that episode. I had an S-40B and it was a pretty good radio for general SWL.
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »

I always liked the Eico 720 in the sherriff's office in Andy Griffith :-)

Even better, Ron Howard has the Apollo 11 LEM. "Me and my brothers, we hid up in the rafters, we saw the whole thing!". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OQwZDTPoU
There's another episode of Andy Griffith where some gypsies are supposed rain makers and Andy finds a Hallicrafters SX 110 that the gypsies are using to get weather reports.  Andy stands there holding the receiver which has neither a speaker nor antenna nor power cord hooked up yet is operational.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »

The S-40B was also transformer powered, not a hot chassis AC/DC radio.  That added a bit to the cost.

Pete
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »

I'll bet that the professor was able to reverse-wire the S-40B receiver and make it into a transmitter.  Grin

Early hams with just a receiver and little money used turn the audio output tube/stage of the receiver into a switchable QRP transmitter and then listen in on the 1st audio tube with headphones.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

As I recall there was at least one AC/DC S-38 variant that used the 50L6 audio stage as a crystal controlled transmitter stage.  I am pretty sure it existed, but I can't find a reference to the model number. Perhaps someone else may be able to fill in the gaps. The radio wasn't that popular, but it still commands serious collector value when it shows on eBay.

Pete
KT4AE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

Again, not a movie but there was an episode on "Bones" where they had an SB-610 sitting on an office desk being used as a scanner.  I don't remember what they were scanning for, cell phones or what but they got a blip and ran out the door.
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »

I dunno guys... turning the audio stage into an RF power oscillator (and then turning it back on receive) sounds very impractical. If you can find references please post. Maybe in Hollywood in WWII POW camp films!

What I do recall about early hams is that they would pinch the output tube(s) from the family broadcast receiver and fire them up in their homebrew transmitter when nobody was using the Crossley. A pair of 45's made a pretty nice pushpull oscillator.

Steve in Okinawa
(I visited Hollywood last month and it was crazy but I didn't see any boat anchors.)
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:31 PM »

Nice KMW2  + 30S1 in the General's trailer in Apocalypse Now.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »

There was a German war time adaptor to plug into the AF output socket of BC radio to use it as a tx. There's a picture of it in one of the RSGB collections of Technical topics. I seem to remember it was an Abwehr thing.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: