The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Deluxe - Forget It  (Read 6599 times)
KG9SF

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »

I've wasted the last two days trying to find someone, anyone, at HRD who will give me customer support.

I briefly spoke with the owner yesterday.  He told me to call him anytime with questions.  Later in the day I did have another question, so I tried to reach him.  I talked to two different people in sales plus one person in tech support.  All told, I received, in my opinion, nearly every type and form of lie imaginable.  The person who kept telling me he was "head of support" actually told me that the owner is a "busy and important man" who didn't have time to answer "40,000 questions" from people like me.

Again, in my opinion, this company is full of expert liars. 

By the way. ---  they have three support people:  woman in Colorado, a man in Pennsylvania, and a person of indeterminate gender in Great Britain.

Beware dealing with this shabby outfit.
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »

I'm the OP.  I just got a call from the support person in Great Britain, the one I referred to as being of "indeterminate gender".  She has a name which could be either male or female, thus my "indeterminate gender" usage.

She turned out to be a capable and knowledgable woman who in a few short minutes explained to me what I've been trying two days to find out.

She phoned me at about 3AM her time.  Remarkable.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »

I would not spend the money for HRD... but the guys behind HRD seem to be stand up and reliable individuals.  A rant after only two days may have been a bit premature?  And I've seen they have been very generous in giving refunds to unhappy clients.  That speaks volumes as to their character and being a good member of the ham community.

Pete
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »

By the way. ---  they have three support people:  woman in Colorado, a man in Pennsylvania, and a person of indeterminate gender in Great Britain.

Well from your initial remarks I suspect the problem has more to do with you and your attitude than the HRD folks.  If what you post in a public forum resembles anything like your communications with a vendor (or anyone else for that matter) you shouldn't be surprised to find yourself at the bottom of the food chain.

And for what it's worth, the vast majority of ham radio vendors - especially software - are small businesses with staff and time limitations.  Anyone in this hobby who is not a mental arthritic understands that and has the patience to work with the vendor.

BTW, I've been using HRD for years. Yes it has quirks and issues as just about any other software product has. On occasion when I needed support I found both the HRD staff and user community responsive.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »

By the way. ---  they have three support people:  woman in Colorado, a man in Pennsylvania, and a person of indeterminate gender in Great Britain.

You sound pretty nasty to me with a chip on your shoulder. You get to use HRD FREE on a trial, no restrictions with support for 30 days. Shabby? I think not.

Do HRD a favor and move on to DXLABS..    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Well from your initial remarks I suspect the problem has more to do with you and your attitude than the HRD folks.

Exactly right.......

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:29:31 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »

Well from your initial remarks I suspect the problem has more to do with you and your attitude than the HRD folks.  If what you post in a public forum resembles anything like your communications with a vendor (or anyone else for that matter) you shouldn't be surprised to find yourself at the bottom of the food chain.

And for what it's worth, the vast majority of ham radio vendors - especially software - are small businesses with staff and time limitations.  Anyone in this hobby who is not a mental arthritic understands that and has the patience to work with the vendor.

BTW, I've been using HRD for years. Yes it has quirks and issues as just about any other software product has. On occasion when I needed support I found both the HRD staff and user community responsive.

I am not involved in any way with HRD (or this particular interaction), and much of the above advice is certainly worthwhile when dealing with a niche industry such as Ham Radio Software.  However, if there was any lying or intentional misleading on the part of the business, I must profess a bias toward the purchaser/consumer...especially if a pattern of similar corporate responses emerges.

When a business goes beyond an expected reaction to a problem in need of rectification, it produces goodwill - a reputation of good service, trustworthiness, and reliability.  This is a good reason why brands are protected by government through trademark law.  But the opposite is also true, and some companies are known for changing their names in order to put bad reputations behind them!
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:38:49 AM »

I love HRD. It is an excellent program and for the money offers incredible value. Other vendors offer less capable software that has to be licensed by the radio. With HRD you get all radios for one price.

Developers NEED to be paid for their work. It you want quality, enhancements and new radios supported, the authors need to be paid for their work. I think it is silly for some people to expect this stuff for free which has been the case of much of the ham software in the past. Problem is that many of the developers get tired of the demands for support and new enhancements and lose interest and the application ends up orphaned and unsupported.

It's time to start paying for the software we hams use so the authors stay interested and continue to develop and enhance their work.
K3PRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:19:17 AM »

Hi:

I have used Ham Radio Deluxe DM780 for about five years before purchasing the new version in June. HRD requires a leaning period before one is comfortable with the program. I called the help people three times and and all my questions and problems were handled extremely well. I never felt they wanted me off the line. Yes, as one fellow mentioned this is a small company and can not have hundreds of help people at everyone's beck and call for customers questions. I feel this is the best digital program on the market after testing many others. I think the HRD people do an excellent job for the $99 cost with program quality and support. I don't know what you expected but play with Microsoft 10 for a while!

Cheers,

Don K3PRN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: