The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worried about Windows Ten Snooping?  (Read 47720 times)
AF6LJ

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »

You might want to consider this
http://hothardware.com/news/heres-how-to-keep-microsofts-nose-out-of-your-personal-data-in-windows-10
And This
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »

... or go to http://distrowatch.com and get a Linux based system :-)

Rick KK4GGL
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:00:34 AM »

That is fine if you can live with drivers that are at least two years out of date.
I own a Linux system, sit behind a Linux firewall on a separate box and have been using Linux in one form or another since 1995.
If all you plan to do is browse the web read and write email, do a few basic office functions and some multi media it will do the job.

Contact management, serious desktop publishing Nope Linux won't cut the mustard.

My PCB design / spice simulation software won't run in Linux, Wine is still a pain in the butt to get to work under some apps... Especially games which is why you will not see a serious gamer run Linux.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »

That is fine if you can live with drivers that are at least two years out of date.
I own a Linux system, sit behind a Linux firewall on a separate box and have been using Linux in one form or another since 1995.
If all you plan to do is browse the web read and write email, do a few basic office functions and some multi media it will do the job.

Contact management, serious desktop publishing Nope Linux won't cut the mustard.

My PCB design / spice simulation software won't run in Linux, Wine is still a pain in the butt to get to work under some apps... Especially games which is why you will not see a serious gamer run Linux.

I don't have problems with drivers, but then I only have an all-in-one printer, a couple of signalinks and a radio control cable plugged in at the moment. I've never used heavy duty contact management software, so I don't really know what's available in GNU/Linux or Android. As for desktop publishing, I was under the impression that Scribus was pretty good.

If your specific software doesn't run under a Linux distro, I can see why you'd need Windows.

As for gaming, there's consoles.

Still.. I don't have to worry about Win10 snooping :-)

Rick KK4GGL
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »

I don't have problems with drivers, but then I only have an all-in-one printer, a couple of signalinks and a radio control cable plugged in at the moment. I've never used heavy duty contact management software, so I don't really know what's available in GNU/Linux or Android. As for desktop publishing, I was under the impression that Scribus was pretty good.

If your specific software doesn't run under a Linux distro, I can see why you'd need Windows.

As for gaming, there's consoles.

Still.. I don't have to worry about Win10 snooping :-)
I hate to burst your bubble but Consoles are about as lame as it gets.
No realism in graphics, poor frame rate..
Need to upgrade buy a new console.
Then there is the issue with poor screen performance since one is limited to using a television set in most cases. Latency, image blurring Nope Consoles are as lame as it gets.

I'll save linux for the obsolete tech.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »

Folks, go to the www.komando.com (Kim Komando) website and in the Search box
at the top right of the screen type in "Windows 10". note: you'll get about 7 Pages
of separate Windows 10 related articles. note: The article that you want here is the
one entitled "3 Windows 10 privacy gotchas".

73, and good luck

Bob

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »

In defense of Linux, it is just another option, another operating system really. Sure Linux may not run some Windows programs. But those Windows programs cannot run on Mac or Android either but that doesn't stop those operating systems from being wildly popular.

What it boils down to is that the lack of Windows programs that can run on Linux is really an non issue, just like the lack of Windows programs that can run on the iPad or an Android tablet is an non issue.

If a person needs a Windows machine, they will own a Windows machine. If a person needs to run certain Windows programs, they will use a Windows computer.

Personally I don't believe anyone should limit themselves to just one operating system anyway. Just like I don't believe that one should restrict themselves to just Icom or just Yaesu products. Or restrict themselves to just VHF when there is a whole world out there.

All the most important Windows programs will not run on Linux. Some of them might run under "Wine". Or it may not run under Wine.  Does someone use a flat head screwdriver to turn a Phillips head screw? Of course not. We use the right tools for the applications at hand. Get as many tools as you can.

Linux is a good option, and has some advantages especially if you have older but perfectly good running computers but cannot run 7, 8 or 10. There are thousands of free apps and programs on Linux. There is no app store to register with or to join, and no phone home concerns to worry about. In addition there are a whole bunch of free Linux ham radio apps and programs that one can use under Linux.

Will Linux ever replace Windows? No.  Will the Android tablet or the iPad replace a Windows computer? No. (But some have gone onto use the iPad instead of their Windows machine).  Will there ever be a "year of the Linux Desktop'? No. Should we dismiss Linux because it can't run Windows programs or apps? No. We should not dismiss Linux and we should not dismiss Android or Mac.

Can some people do without a Windows computer? Yes they can. Should they? That is up to them. Like I said, some have gone on to using the iPad for everything they need, maybe except for doing taxes on line or financial spreadsheets. I say use whatever operating system you want. But never limit oneself to just one operating system.

Use all of them

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:24:25 AM »

The real joke would be if you could actually get an accurate number on how many people use their computers for real work versus how many people use them for just web browsing and email.   IMHO I think the latter covers about 80% of home users and therefore Linux a Mac or anything else would work fine for them.   As a matter of fact many women that I know have gotten themselves a giant smart phone like a Samsung 5 or iPhone 6+ and they don't even use PC's anymore.

As for Windows 10 and snooping, people need to stop dreaming and wake up.  We have lots of Win7 machines and they are all sending out Data even when completely idle for hours.  They do this on a routine basis and that data has been captured and looked at and it is completely encrypted, all we know is that it's going to IP's registered to MS. And yes all updates etc have been turned off.  One young tech spent about a week stripping the OS down to looking for the source and had no luck.  Blocking ranges of IP's ended up to be the only solution.

73s
Rob

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:38:43 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »

The real joke would be if you could actually get an accurate number on how many people use their computers for real work versus how many people use them for just web browsing and email.   IMHO I think the latter covers about 80% of home users and therefore Linux a Mac or anything else would work fine for them.   As a matter of fact many women that I know have gotten themselves a giant smart phone like a Samsung 5 or iPhone 6+ and they don't even use PC's anymore.

73s
Rob
I would have to agree when it comes to what people uuse their computers for. This one gets used for work and fun.
The trend toward "smart phones", has been a long time coming in Japan many people have been using smart phone like devices for a couple of decades now, along with palm top computers, a computer that fits in the palm of the hand, full keyboard and a joystick for a point device.

PC sales will decline until all that is left is a fraction of the usership still using PCs.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »

In defense of Linux, it is just another option, another operating system really. Sure Linux may not run some Windows programs. But those Windows programs cannot run on Mac or Android either but that doesn't stop those operating systems from being wildly popular.

What it boils down to is that the lack of Windows programs that can run on Linux is really an non issue, just like the lack of Windows programs that can run on the iPad or an Android tablet is an non issue.

If a person needs a Windows machine, they will own a Windows machine. If a person needs to run certain Windows programs, they will use a Windows computer.

Personally I don't believe anyone should limit themselves to just one operating system anyway. Just like I don't believe that one should restrict themselves to just Icom or just Yaesu products. Or restrict themselves to just VHF when there is a whole world out there.

All the most important Windows programs will not run on Linux. Some of them might run under "Wine". Or it may not run under Wine.  Does someone use a flat head screwdriver to turn a Phillips head screw? Of course not. We use the right tools for the applications at hand. Get as many tools as you can.

Linux is a good option, and has some advantages especially if you have older but perfectly good running computers but cannot run 7, 8 or 10. There are thousands of free apps and programs on Linux. There is no app store to register with or to join, and no phone home concerns to worry about. In addition there are a whole bunch of free Linux ham radio apps and programs that one can use under Linux.

Will Linux ever replace Windows? No.  Will the Android tablet or the iPad replace a Windows computer? No. (But some have gone onto use the iPad instead of their Windows machine).  Will there ever be a "year of the Linux Desktop'? No. Should we dismiss Linux because it can't run Windows programs or apps? No. We should not dismiss Linux and we should not dismiss Android or Mac.

Can some people do without a Windows computer? Yes they can. Should they? That is up to them. Like I said, some have gone on to using the iPad for everything they need, maybe except for doing taxes on line or financial spreadsheets. I say use whatever operating system you want. But never limit oneself to just one operating system.

Use all of them

I certainly agree with that each has their niche.
For most of the older crowd; people in my age group and older that didn't make the transition to computers at an early age an i-Pad meets most of their needs. I'm waiting for the right tablet to come out that I can load up with radio manuals and have at my workstation for repairing gear.

My firewall runs Linux; a ten year old box that use to run Vista now runs Smoothwall Express 3.1.
My Gateway laptop dual boots Vista / Ubuntu 14.XX. I don't have support for the built in camera, but that is fine, I never use it and never loaded the Gateway driver for the camera in Vista.

I have a client who uses a Windows box for business and has a 27" i-Mac for pleasure.

If I push my clients to do anything; it is to get what will fill their needs best.
Most use Windows and have work that needs done, the rest use whatever meets their needs best.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »

As for Windows 10 and snooping, people need to stop dreaming and wake up.  We have lots of Win7 machines and they are all sending out Data even when completely idle for hours. 
73s
Rob

Why weren't there any 'snooping' and "phone home to Microsoft" issues with Windows 7 and Windows 8?

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »

As for Windows 10 and snooping, people need to stop dreaming and wake up.  We have lots of Win7 machines and they are all sending out Data even when completely idle for hours. 
73s
Rob

Why weren't there any 'snooping' and "phone home to Microsoft" issues with Windows 7 and Windows 8?

There is a level of snooping going on with Win7, that's what I was saying.  When our techs tested Win8 it was a magnitude higher and nobody was impressed with it anyway so that was a non starter.  Win10 is a non starter because the EULA makes it clear that snooping will be happening at all levels, so we have not even bothered or should I say we have been told not to hook up a win 10 machine to our networks.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »

73s
Rob

Rumor has it there is now.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »

73s
Rob

There is a level of snooping going on with Win7, that's what I was saying.  When our techs tested Win8 it was a magnitude higher and nobody was impressed with it anyway so that was a non starter.  Win10 is a non starter because the EULA makes it clear that snooping will be happening at all levels, so we have not even bothered or should I say we have been told not to hook up a win 10 machine to our networks.

73s
Rob

Well there is that famous Joseph Goebbels quote; You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide.
Windows 7 is being updated with all the Snoop-Ware in Windows 10.
At this point the age of privacy over the Internet is coming to a close.
If you want privacy there cannot be any connection to the Internet.

I suspect MS will or has made things in such a way that foning home will be a conditional to keeping the operating system operational like the Rege Worm was for not having a ligit copy of Win-XP.

There is already an uproar over private citizens and companies encrypting their data in ways the NSA can't easily crack. Unless something changes people won't even be able to run to Linux.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:31 PM »

Use all of them

+1000 Grin

That post was the best perspective I've ever read on the Windows vs Linux vs everything else debate.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: