The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worried about Windows Ten Snooping?  (Read 47780 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »

You are snooped every time you get on Web and if you have a Facebook account all they do is snoop everything you do and sell that info to marketers. It is their major only source of income. You have bigger snoopers than MS to worry about!!! If you do not want to be snooped stay off Web and live in a cave.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »

You are snooped every time you get on Web and if you have a Facebook account all they do is snoop everything you do and sell that info to marketers. It is their major only source of income. You have bigger snoopers than MS to worry about!!! If you do not want to be snooped stay off Web and live in a cave.

That is always why I give out as much wrong or misinformation as possiable.
Like I said we use to call this The World Wide Wiretap.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »

Well there is that famous Joseph Goebbels quote; You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide.
Windows 7 is being updated with all the Snoop-Ware in Windows 10.
At this point the age of privacy over the Internet is coming to a close.
If you want privacy there cannot be any connection to the Internet.

Everyone has something they want to hide, it could be your credit card numbers. SS#, personal medical info or in the case of companies it can be projects or financial data.

You can still be on the net and have privacy, it just requires having a seperate intranet for R&D machines and another  network for connected machines in other departments.  Also good firewalls implemented on dedicated internet servers can make it so painfull to hack that no one will even bother trying, and if they do they won't find much because the machines with the good stuff are not on the same network.

As for free email accounts and Facebook, Twitter etc. those are for people who don't seem to care if everything they type is available to the highest bidder.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »

As for free email accounts and Facebook, Twitter etc. those are for people who don't seem to care if everything they type is available to the highest bidder.

Many do not know or want to believe it.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »

That is true!  I have had that conversation with so many people and they all look at me like I need a Tin Foil Hat Cheesy  I stopped preaching it to friends a long time ago, I just say to them if you want to know how much stuff they are gathering go onto Netflix and watch "Terms and conditions may apply".  Human nature at work, even those with Netflix do not want to watch it, they just do not want to face reality.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

Yet you are the #1 advocate of the data vacuum AKA win10?  The more snoops and junk apps I turn off, the more I find! Who needs the Patriot act or NSA data mining when there is Win10 ?

AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »

Well there is that famous Joseph Goebbels quote; You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide.
Windows 7 is being updated with all the Snoop-Ware in Windows 10.
At this point the age of privacy over the Internet is coming to a close.
If you want privacy there cannot be any connection to the Internet.

Everyone has something they want to hide, it could be your credit card numbers. SS#, personal medical info or in the case of companies it can be projects or financial data.

You can still be on the net and have privacy, it just requires having a seperate intranet for R&D machines and another  network for connected machines in other departments.  Also good firewalls implemented on dedicated internet servers can make it so painfull to hack that no one will even bother trying, and if they do they won't find much because the machines with the good stuff are not on the same network.

Rob

Yup..

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

Who needs the Patriot act or NSA data mining when there is Win10 ?

The scary part is that the fact that the EULA gives them the right and you have absolutely no recourse.  This is a guess on my part, but I would bet that before Win10 they might have had the Data in front of them but could not act on it because of the way it was obtained.  Now with Win10 I suspect a lot more people might be hauled into court for stupid stuff, like having down loaded songs or movies.

And off the subject:
I have to say/rant that after watching that movie massacre guy get 1000+ years in prison I am kind of annoyed with the system.  An obvious murderer yet we spend a few million dollars on a trial and the another couple of million feeding and housing him until he dies of old age.  We could have had justice for under a $1 and used the millions to feed a village of starving kids for life!

73s
Rob

AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »

Who needs the Patriot act or NSA data mining when there is Win10 ?

The scary part is that the fact that the EULA gives them the right and you have absolutely no recourse.  This is a guess on my part, but I would bet that before Win10 they might have had the Data in front of them but could not act on it because of the way it was obtained.  Now with Win10 I suspect a lot more people might be hauled into court for stupid stuff, like having down loaded songs or movies.

And off the subject:
I have to say/rant that after watching that movie massacre guy get 1000+ years in prison I am kind of annoyed with the system.  An obvious murderer yet we spend a few million dollars on a trial and the another couple of million feeding and housing him until he dies of old age.  We could have had justice for under a $1 and used the millions to feed a village of starving kids for life!

73s
Rob

I am sure you would want your due process.

As for the Win-Ten snooping, you haven't spent much time looking into Android or ISO smart phones have you, believe me the degree of snooping and lack of recourse is just as bad.
Glad I have a dumb phone..

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »

I am sure you would want your due process.

Criminals thrive on the compassion of society.

As for the Win-Ten snooping, you haven't spent much time looking into Android or ISO smart phones have you, believe me the degree of snooping and lack of recourse is just as bad.
Glad I have a dumb phone..

No I use an iPhone.  At the very least Apple does not "seem" to be very interested in playing ball with the NSA and they certainly are not selling info to advertisers.

73s
Rob

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 05:45:14 AM »

Yet you are the #1 advocate of the data vacuum AKA win10?  The more snoops and junk apps I turn off, the more I find! Who needs the Patriot act or NSA data mining when there is Win10 ?

Once again Facebook and many web sites are far bigger threats but you seem to fixate on MS as being the root of all web evil. I am hard on 7 because it is a dead end OS with zero future is cross platform world. MS knows this and that is why free upgrade to 10 to be able to push cross platform WINRT apps out (that are not supported by 7) and hopefully boost sales of their tablets and smart phones as they share and work alike. Its funny you worry about government possibly snooping yet you would want them to know about a attack before hand yet you do not want them to snoop some. What then telepathy?

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 06:09:33 AM »

Once again Facebook and many web sites are far bigger threats but you seem to fixate on MS as being the root of all web evil.

They may not be the root, but they have been at it a long time.

I am hard on 7 because it is a dead end OS with zero future is cross platform world.

Which does not matter if a person is not running cross-platform applications.

MS knows this and that is why free upgrade to 10 to be able to push cross platform WINRT apps out (that are not supported by 7) and hopefully boost sales of their tablets and smart phones as they share and work alike. Its funny you worry about government possibly snooping yet you would want them to know about a attack before hand yet you do not want them to snoop some. What then telepathy?

I can't speak for others, but I want them to properly secure and execute warrants, as outlined in the Constitution, not secret warrants from secret courts with virtually no oversight.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »

They may not be the root, but they have been at it a long time.

Stay in a cave and of Internet. There are far bigger threats with Facebook being a very big one. You will never find me there.

I can't speak for others, but I want them to properly secure and execute warrants, as outlined in the Constitution, not secret warrants from secret courts with virtually no oversight.

What are you more worried about, a little privacy lost or having a mall blow up where you live. You want to make it easier for sleeper cell to hide and operate. This is a different world and they threat today were not even remotely seen when constitution was written. With terrorist activities by time you get a warrant it is usually too late. You know a funny thing is there was a intercept of a transmission on 911 one day before it happened. It seemed no one acted on it for a few days and when it made it to media it was quickly squashed (made GOV look very bad) and hard to find any trace of this advent now.

Which does not matter if a person is not running cross-platform applications.

Does not matter. most new apps will be written for cross platform and will not run on 7 but then you can use your old OS and old apps in your old cave with head in the sand and be left behind.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 06:53:32 AM »

Does not matter. most new apps will be written for cross platform and will not run on 7 but then you can use your old OS and old apps in your old cave with head in the sand and be left behind.
And the consequence of being left behind is???
I'd sooner have a PROGRAM as opposed to a castrated program aka "app"

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 07:04:51 AM »

What are you more worried about, a little privacy lost or having a mall blow up where you live. You want to make it easier for sleeper cell to hide and operate. This is a different world and they threat today were not even remotely seen when constitution was written. With terrorist activities by time you get a warrant it is usually too late. You know a funny thing is there was a intercept of a transmission on 911 one day before it happened. It seemed no one acted on it for a few days and when it made it to media it was quickly squashed (made GOV look very bad) and hard to find any trace of this advent now.

we had the intel long before that, Bush admin just did not take seriously the intel which said bin Laden the was intent on hijacking planes to attack.  Bush's terrorism czar is on record about having his warnings fall on deaf ears at the White House.  wasn't it 1994 when bin Laden almost blew up the WTC from the basement(?)...

the Constitution was not written with respect to specifics as mush as it was a philosophical stance on principles by which a govt should govern.  The Bill of Rights draws an important line between illegal searches and seizures to protect liberty.  (NSA is seizing private data w/out probable cause and warehousing it so even if you trust the govt is only taking it to counter terrorism threats --there is still the potential for terrorists to gain access to it by hacking from outside or within -- just consider how much 3rd party contracting the defense dept does these days! let alone insiders). 

Ben Franklin's quote -- Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety -- applies well here.  Terrorists pretty much know everything on the internet is surveilled anyway and have acted under that assumption even before 911 (bin Laden for example used message carriers not cell phones). 

And, the FBI and CIA can easily get warrants to tap whatever they want if there exists a true threat.  The issue is that an agency like the NSA -- given the carte blanche budget and mission that they have -- wants every tool that is possible without regard to concern over anyone's Constitutional liberties. The govt is only as good as its checks and balances.  Eisenhower warned us about the complex we have now. http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst306/documents/indust.html

Let a guy like McCarthy get in power again and give him NSA capabilities and people willing to allow our govt to search and seize whatever they like and the witch hunts will destroy us from within all in the name of saving us from threats without.   And if you try to defend our liberties like Snowden did you will be misrepresented as an enemy of the state. Unfortunately appeals to lowest common denominators (like fear of terrorist attack) carry far more sway power with the masses. How much more money do we spend on 'defense' each year than the entire non-USA world while our infrastructure crumbles?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:06:56 AM by W9KEY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: