The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worried about Windows Ten Snooping?  (Read 47920 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:45 AM »

They may not be the root, but they have been at it a long time.

Stay in a cave and of Internet. There are far bigger threats with Facebook being a very big one. You will never find me there.

I doubt Facebook is any bigger threat than Microsoft. Still, I try to use Microsoft OSes and Facebook as little as possible.

I can't speak for others, but I want them to properly secure and execute warrants, as outlined in the Constitution, not secret warrants from secret courts with virtually no oversight.
What are you more worried about, a little privacy lost or having a mall blow up where you live.

There's no such thing as losing a little privacy.

You want to make it easier for sleeper cell to hide and operate.

I find that highly offensive. Seriously.

This is a different world and they threat today were not even remotely seen when constitution was written. With terrorist activities by time you get a warrant it is usually too late.

And just how do --you-- know this? How many warrants have --you--applied for?

You know a funny thing is there was a intercept of a transmission on 911 one day before it happened. It seemed no one acted on it for a few days and when it made it to media it was quickly squashed (made GOV look very bad) and hard to find any trace of this advent now.

It's not funny at all being a symbol of too much secrecy and over reach.

Which does not matter if a person is not running cross-platform applications.

Does not matter. most new apps will be written for cross platform and will not run on 7 but then you can use your old OS and old apps in your old cave with head in the sand and be left behind.

Since you have all this money to run out and buy all this new stuff why don't you start spreading around some?

I see you have not figured out the concept of people using --what works for them-- regardless of how old it is. BTW, put any radials down yet?

Rick KK4GGL
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 07:20:19 AM »

Quote from: KK4GGL (replying to W8JX)

Since you have all this money to run out and buy all this new stuff why don't you start spreading around some?

BTW, put any radials down yet?

how do you expect him to have money for radials when he buys every latest technology that comes out to not be left behind? i mean he surely has the latest engine technology in his car, the latest washing machine, refrigerator, HVAC, roofing materials, clothing, audio, video, home security, etc, etc, etc.  give the guy a break!    Tongue
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 07:31:53 AM »

They may not be the root, but they have been at it a long time.

Stay in a cave and of Internet. There are far bigger threats with Facebook being a very big one. You will never find me there.

I can't speak for others, but I want them to properly secure and execute warrants, as outlined in the Constitution, not secret warrants from secret courts with virtually no oversight.

What are you more worried about, a little privacy lost or having a mall blow up where you live. You want to make it easier for sleeper cell to hide and operate. This is a different world and they threat today were not even remotely seen when constitution was written. With terrorist activities by time you get a warrant it is usually too late. You know a funny thing is there was a intercept of a transmission on 911 one day before it happened. It seemed no one acted on it for a few days and when it made it to media it was quickly squashed (made GOV look very bad) and hard to find any trace of this advent now.

Which does not matter if a person is not running cross-platform applications.

Does not matter. most new apps will be written for cross platform and will not run on 7 but then you can use your old OS and old apps in your old cave with head in the sand and be left behind.

A yes, the views of a fascist who believes that a omniscient, omnipotent government is a good thing!
Do you really think that the govt is keeping malls or aircraft from blowing up? Have you read about TSA performance?
You, sir, must be the one living in a cave!
Obviously, public safety is not their #1 objective...

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »

A yes, the views of a fascist who believes that a omniscient, omnipotent government is a good thing!
Do you really think that the govt is keeping malls or aircraft from blowing up? Have you read about TSA performance?

You are because TSA is not the snoopers that stop that stuff. It is the ones they never talk about and kinda do not exist. You take a lot for granted.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 08:25:49 AM »

You might want to consider this....

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/5880-conspiracy.html
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 08:32:19 AM »

You are because TSA is not the snoopers that stop that stuff. It is the ones they never talk about and kinda do not exist. You take a lot for granted.

No Such Agency

He is right about one thing the TSA and the Department of Homo-Land Security are completely incompetent. You can walk through airport security with a knife in your purse (well I am female and carry a purse) and they won't find it. Same with pepper spray which I carry all the time.
What was laughable a girlfriend and I (Not that kind of girlfriend) went to Las Vegas, She was puulled aside for additional screening, they let me go through with a metal nail file and pepper spray.

This is all theater not real security like they have in Israel.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:37:08 AM by AF6LJ » Logged

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »

As for free email accounts and Facebook, Twitter etc. those are for people who don't seem to care if everything they type is available to the highest bidder.

Many do not know or want to believe it.

Yet you are the #1 advocate of the data vacuum AKA win10?  The more snoops and junk apps I turn off, the more I find! Who needs the Patriot act or NSA data mining when there is Win10 ?

Once again Facebook and many web sites are far bigger threats but you seem to fixate on MS as being the root of all web evil. I am hard on 7 because it is a dead end OS with zero future is cross platform world. MS knows this and that is why free upgrade to 10 to be able to push cross platform WINRT apps out (that are not supported by 7) and hopefully boost sales of their tablets and smart phones as they share and work alike. Its funny you worry about government possibly snooping yet you would want them to know about a attack before hand yet you do not want them to snoop some. What then telepathy?

The only reason MS is not the root of all evil is because most of their customer base has moved there day to day personal info onto phones and tablets.  So Apple and Android based companies are now the one's with the greatest access.  If MS was still in the drivers seat they would most likely be doing what they do best.

As for your ideas that MS is some sort of good guy, you must not have been around in the 1990's when MS was persuading people to write software for their OS.  Yes it was great time for MS!  Once someone came up with a good software program MS would steal it and integrate it into one of their own products.   That's why when Apple came up with the App store they  had to go out of their way on day one to make sure independent programmers would be guaranteed that they would be well compensated for their work and that Apple would buy anything they believed was really good for integration into IOS.  On the other hand MS burned so many people in the Windows freeware and shareware markets that they never recovered and most MS freeware/shareware stuff is now just a bunch of Trojans left to screw over any unfortunate soul that installs them.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:22:14 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 08:18:37 AM »

As for free email accounts and Facebook, Twitter etc. those are for people who don't seem to care if everything they type is available to the highest bidder.

Many do not know or want to believe it.

Yet you are the #1 advocate of the data vacuum AKA win10?  The more snoops and junk apps I turn off, the more I find! Who needs the Patriot act or NSA data mining when there is Win10 ?

Once again Facebook and many web sites are far bigger threats but you seem to fixate on MS as being the root of all web evil. I am hard on 7 because it is a dead end OS with zero future is cross platform world. MS knows this and that is why free upgrade to 10 to be able to push cross platform WINRT apps out (that are not supported by 7) and hopefully boost sales of their tablets and smart phones as they share and work alike. Its funny you worry about government possibly snooping yet you would want them to know about a attack before hand yet you do not want them to snoop some. What then telepathy?

The only reason MS is not the root of all evil is because most of their customer base has moved there day to day personal info onto phones and tablets.  So Apple and Android based companies are now the one's with the greatest access.  If MS was still in the drivers seat they would most likely be doing what they do best.

As for your ideas that MS is some sort of good guy, you must not have been around in the 1990's when MS was persuading people to write software for their OS.  Yes it was great time for MS!  Once someone came up with a good software program MS would steal it and integrate it into one of their own products.   That's why when Apple came up with the App store they  had to go out of their way on day one to make sure independent programmers would be guaranteed that they would be well compensated for their work and that Apple would buy anything they believed was really good for integration into IOS.  On the other hand MS burned so many people in the Windows freeware and shareware markets that they never recovered and most MS freeware/shareware stuff is now just a bunch of Trojans left to screw over any unfortunate soul that installs them.

73s
Rob

Not that MS is a good guy in a white hat but they do not have a black hat like Facebook and Apple. Apple snooops a lot and when caught they say it was a mistake. Over a year ago a hacker found that Apple was secretly tracking everywhere you went and did with your phone. Rather than admit that the cleverly coded and deeply hidden apps was no mistake, they played it off as a mistake. WHo knows what other hidden Apple snoops there are. Once again every time you log intp facebook it knows where you are at and if client is running in back ground it knows what you are doing when surfing. And you are worried about MS??? Thats a laugh.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »

Not that MS is a good guy in a white hat but they do not have a black hat like Facebook and Apple. Apple snooops a lot and when caught they say it was a mistake. Over a year ago a hacker found that Apple was secretly tracking everywhere you went and did with your phone. Rather than admit that the cleverly coded and deeply hidden apps was no mistake, they played it off as a mistake. WHo knows what other hidden Apple snoops there are. Once again every time you log intp facebook it knows where you are at and if client is running in back ground it knows what you are doing when surfing. And you are worried about MS??? Thats a laugh.

Lets not blow this out of the water.  Yes Apple phones track your location, so do all the other smart phones on the market.  Most Phones put your current location in an easy to find file so that other applications like the Camera, Weather Apps etc can use the info if they need to.
Apple method was definitely much more aggressive than your typical phone, and I am not going to say that they may not have had some other plans but a few things make it a lot different than an MS tactic.

1) The file was not hidden or encrypted

2) Their is a menu option to turn it off (and yes it is off, I have looked at the file and the data stopped when I hit the switch)

3)  Keep in mind that iPhone owners had been asking Apple for a method of tracking stolen phones for years.  A continual trailing file might have been an early attempt at that.

Info on turning it off for those who want to.
http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-turn-off-ios-7-frequent-locations-tracking/

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »

so, it's taken a few months, but some revelations from Microsoft:

"Microsoft reveals details of Windows 10 usage tracking":
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35251484
- The firm also said that Windows 10 was now active on over 200 million devices.
- until now though, relatively little has been known about what data is being collected.

Microsoft also reported that Windows 10 continued to be the fastest growing version of Windows,
- outpacing the adoption of both Windows 8 and Windows 7.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »

so, it's taken a few months, but some revelations from Microsoft:

"Microsoft reveals details of Windows 10 usage tracking":
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35251484
- The firm also said that Windows 10 was now active on over 200 million devices.
- until now though, relatively little has been known about what data is being collected.

Microsoft also reported that Windows 10 continued to be the fastest growing version of Windows,

When you use express setup it sends a lot of telemetry mostly on web stuff and health of OS but if you use custom install you can disable a lot of it, I have monitored my network connection on this laptop I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 several days ago and there is no telemetry streaming out and actually the connection seems less active than with 8.1. Many that claim there is a problem never actually looked to see if data is flowing.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »

At first glance you could look at that statement and get excited for Microsoft, but in fact it really is not as good as they would like you to think.   First of all this is a FREE OS for most people yet most people are still not taking them up on the offer. As of Dec 2015 Win7 is still at 55% market share and Win 10 is at 9.96% which is still lower than the 10% of people that use XP.

Secondly MS is nagging Win7 Users and Win8 users to death with prompts to upgrade.  This kind of forceful action should not be required when a person is running Version 7 of a product and is being offered version 10 for free, yet it is happening and not with the kind of success that I think MS was looking for.

73s
Rob

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »

At first glance you could look at that statement and get excited for Microsoft, but in fact it really is not as good as they would like you to think.   First of all this is a FREE OS for most people yet most people are still not taking them up on the offer. As of Dec 2015 Win7 is still at 55% market share and Win 10 is at 9.96% which is still lower than the 10% of people that use XP.

Secondly MS is nagging Win7 Users and Win8 users to death with prompts to upgrade.  This kind of forceful action should not be required when a person is running Version 7 of a product and is being offered version 10 for free, yet it is happening and not with the kind of success that I think MS was looking for.

73s
Rob

As usually you totally miss the point why it is free. MS dropped ball and clung to XP/7 way too long andmissed the ship for smart phones and tablets big time. 7 is a DEAD end in multi-platform world and MS knows it and the more 10 they get out there the more they are likely to generate interest in their tablets and smart phones. But as usually you think it is some grand scheme to spy or something. You are pretty clueless Rob.   

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »

73s
Rob

As usually you totally miss the point why it is free. MS dropped ball and clung to XP/7 way too long andmissed the ship for smart phones and tablets big time. 7 is a DEAD end in multi-platform world and MS knows it and the more 10 they get out there the more they are likely to generate interest in their tablets and smart phones. But as usually you think it is some grand scheme to spy or something. You are pretty clueless Rob.   

The only ball dropping Microsoft did was to ABANDON  XP and 7 and go for their version of multiplatform.
They learned nothing from their touch tablets running Windows CE. They learned nothing from their exploits in the phone market. They are still persisting with Metro ( or is it modern or is it Universal Apps or has it got another name) No one is bothering with apps for the Windows Store and who is going to buy a Winzip clone from the store if it is freeware outside of the store.
Windows Phone 10 is going to tank just the same as all previous Windows phones did.
Hell even the sacked Steve Ballmer now says Metro was a mistake and Microsoft could save a shedload of money by making Windows phones run Android apps

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »

73s
Rob

The only ball dropping Microsoft did was to ABANDON  XP and 7 and go for their version of multiplatform.
They learned nothing from their touch tablets running Windows CE. They learned nothing from their exploits in the phone market. They are still persisting with Metro ( or is it modern or is it Universal Apps or has it got another name) No one is bothering with apps for the Windows Store and who is going to buy a Winzip clone from the store if it is freeware outside of the store.
Windows Phone 10 is going to tank just the same as all previous Windows phones did.
Hell even the sacked Steve Ballmer now says Metro was a mistake and Microsoft could save a shedload of money by making Windows phones run Android apps

Exactly!  I just had a IT friend who was running Win8.1 call me and tell me, that I was right and that he just went back to Win7 on his laptop.  I asked him why and he said he just cannot take the way it works anymore and he is so much more productive at his job when using Win7 (BTW no need to lecture him on Win10, his company told him not to bring any machine running it to work).

IMHO  MS will most likely wake up and realize what the problem is with Win10, it will take a year or two and they will wonder why so much of the market is still using Win7.  Then a light bulb will go off and they will create Win11 and get rid of the spying and start charging again for a real desktop OS.

73s
Rob

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: