The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worried about Windows Ten Snooping?  (Read 47922 times)
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »

interesting video interview of John McAfee (McAfee Antivirus Software Founder) about privacy awareness ("we have to take privacy & security into our own hands"):
https://youtu.be/fKP0C8zA7_Q

another, 2-year old interview of McAfee, apparently he is working on a project to protect computer users not just from hackers and viruses, but from govt spying:
https://youtu.be/axrBUSTh1i0

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »

What will they do if you don't upgrade tonight?Huh

http://www.howtogeek.com/241329/upgrade-now-or-upgrade-tonight-how-microsoft-has-aggressively-pushed-windows-10-to-everyone/

Ted, KX4OM
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »

the current question though, is if this thing downloaded "without permission",
which is what Microsoft now seems to be doing, is:

Q:  'what happens if you click on the Decline  icon, on the licence screen?'.

- does it then abort the installation, temporarily or permanently ??.
probably only temporarily, & has another go at the installation,
after a short period of time. ..

Note: for those who have installed it, yet:
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GwxControlPanelSetup.exe
will dispose of the thing, permanently.
- which has been already mentioned, elsewhere.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »

If you have updates turned off and leave it off they will do nothing!
If MS was to suddenly update users PC's without permission they would have a firestorm of bad PR plus they would be sued by thousands of people who would claim that some valuable piece of software no longer works or was destroyed.  It would open them up to litigation from every person who had an Axe to grind and as I said the Negative PR alone would be devastating.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 06:55:17 PM »

tks for the update on the aggressive windows 10 push -- reminds me of the kudzu vine...

I have one Windows 7 PC and wish it to remain that way.  for good measure I installed the GWX 10 shield software. (even though i have set Windows not to automatically update)
Hopefully that keeps this nasty vine from taking over my old growth PC LOL

i am stuck with 10 on this new machine i am using to type this...  Undecided
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 11:23:46 PM »

if you are stuck with 10 on the new machine,
then now install "classic shell";
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
that’ll fix that issue, as well.

which was the 'standard fix' on win-8x,
& works just as well on win-10.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 10:00:54 AM »

Another user experience (Windows 10 Enterprise) reported by Slashdot:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/02/06/1550249/even-with-telemetry-disabled-windows-10-talks-to-dozens-of-microsoft-servers

Ted, KX4OM
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »

Everything you do on the Internet is being watched - why worry about what MS is doing? Too minuscule to be concerned over. Most of it is all about dollars and advertising - clogging up the Internet, your inbox, and all the on-screen litter you get to view. Learn how to block it on your screen and block unwanted emails. It is not rocket science.

K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 05:52:15 PM »

Everything you do on the Internet is being watched - why worry about what MS is doing?

MS is in the unique position of being able to see EVERYTHING you do on your computer. Every keyboard entry, every mouse click, even mouse-over. No "app" can do that. MS can know what you've downloaded, who you email, who emails you; even when you use Gmail. Even if you encrypt.

The amount of information MS can collect from its direct access to your operating system is far greater than what can be gleaned by scraping web sites or watching Facebook.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 04:24:53 AM »

......... and NSA is in bed with them?  Perhaps that is why the great push to get everyone on Win10???  Time to cut the wires and move back into the cave!

Got a grocery store (drug store, etc.) membership card? It tracks every purchase you make - and customizes the ads and coupons just for you.

Just think, soon the department of health will send you a notice that your eating habits need improvement - based upon your grocery store purchases!!!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »

Whitelisting firewalls are the best way to prevent snooping and intrusions, when they work properly. You simply close off the internet then allow the url's you want. Starting off with the entire internet open and closing off the unwanted stuff is entirely an overwhelming task, as evidenced by all the hacking that goes on. I find it very difficult to find a good conversation about whitelisting, in fact it seems to be sort of taboo? I think that security experts don't like it because it doesn't generate much work for them? The problem with whitelisting is that it's a hassle to work with and you wind up wanting to only apply it to machines with a very narrow focus. It probably would be fine for a computer dedicated to ham radio stuff.

I had Panda software that had a whitelisting aspect to it but it was very ineffective, hackers could get past it with ease. Whitelisting hardware firewalls are hard to find and some are even harder to work with.

The DNS system can be bypassed entirely if one just pings a url, captures the numerical ip address and uses that in the firewall. The DNS system is an easy vector for hacking. Hackers can simply change the lookup of a website's name to direct to their site, make it look the same and capture what you do. Your internet provider has a DNS and there are others connected to the backbone, I'd not use the local one at all, I recommend OpenDNS, not that I have any idea how secure it is but at least it's open.

I had XP computers behind a numerical ip address whitelisted hardware firewall for a long time. I didn't allow microsoft in or out at all, no updates for the life of the machines and they ran flawlessly for their entire lives. I didn't allow microsoft in even to register the OS install, I did it over the phone. Identical machines with the normal blacklisting firewalls and updates were always acting up...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »

I found this article interesting in that it specifically mentions "Microsoft’s 12,000-word service agreement" and links to it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/default.aspx

source: http://technerdreview.com/windows-is-spying-on-almost-everything-you-do-here-is-how-to-opt-out/
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 03:59:43 AM »

Be careful of the helpful downloads - they are adware that installs crippled software, requiring the user to purchase the full package - RIPOFF!!!!!
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »

For a system that is in use, setting up whitelists in a router will seriously impede the usefulness of the computers that use that router. Any new URL would have to be looked up first using "ping" (on any Windows machines - which lack the basic tools like "dig" or even "nslookup") then entered into the access control list as "allowed". The most annoying thing about this would be the large numbers of other IP addresses that are commonly loaded when a web browser is directed at modern web sites.

In fact, MS does this for Internet Explorer in new installs of Server 2012 and it takes me several minutes just to get IE to go to Mozilla in order to download and install Firefox so I can continue the installation. Every single IP address has to be individually "allowed". It is a major PITA.

But if you are using a computer as adjunct to your amateur radio then you might find it useful.

I think it's simply easier - and far more secure - to run Linux. Or, if you simply must use a Windows machine then use that for your ham radio tools and then use a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch to use a Linux computer for outside browsing. (This, by the way, is what security agencies - CIA, DIA, NSA, etc. do; one computer for outside browsing and the other computer for the secure network and never the twain do meet).

Configure the Windows machine to not have a default gateway and not have a DNS server and it will never find MS in order to call home.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:54:59 AM by K7EXJ » Logged

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »

For a system that is in use, setting up whitelists in a router will seriously impede the usefulness of the computers that use that router. Any new URL would have to be looked up first using "ping" (on any Windows machines - which lack the basic tools like "dig" or even "nslookup") then entered into the access control list as "allowed". The most annoying thing about this would be the large numbers of other IP addresses that are commonly loaded when a web browser is directed at modern web sites.

In fact, MS does this for Internet Explorer in new installs of Server 2012 and it takes me several minutes just to get IE to go to Mozilla in order to download and install Firefox so I can continue the installation. Every single IP address has to be individually "allowed". It is a major PITA.

But if you are using a computer as adjunct to your amateur radio then you might find it useful.

I think it's simply easier - and far more secure - to run Linux. Or, if you simply must use a Windows machine then use that for your ham radio tools and then use a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch to use a Linux computer for outside browsing. (This, by the way, is what security agencies - CIA, DIA, NSA, etc. do; one computer for outside browsing and the other computer for the secure network and never the twain do meet).

Configure the Windows machine to not have a default gateway and not have a DNS server and it will never find MS in order to call home.

Whitelisting is best with a computer that has a very narrow focus of operation. The older FireStarter firewall setup program for linux made whitelisting very easy to do, it seemed like what superseded it was a little on the difficult side, haven't looked at it lately. I looked at Windows firewall about a year ago and essentially it can whitelist if memory serves. Panda software could whitelist by asking the user for the ok on any new url then adding it to the whitelist. Good idea but easy to hack, I had it all properly set up on a computer, installed a utility to see what connections were made and found I was wired to two notorious hacking sites!

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: