The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA caught me! Any users using a AOR LA390 loop?  (Read 114925 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »

Use your roof geometry to your advantage. Install 18" fiberglass marker whip uprights to the ends of the roof peak. If you have more than one all the better. String 28GA magnet wire between the uprights. Use a balun at one end for feedpoint.

Otherwise, you will be ok laying wire on the roof as long as you have no metallic barrier in the attic, and no grounded flashing intersecting your antenna wire.
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »

Do you have a deck? An upright loop strung between deck supports can be a very good RX antenna; I patterned one off of this design: http://www.hamuniverse.com/kl7jrindoorloop4010.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:42:11 AM by PITSWL » Logged

"Section 97.101(d) prohibits ALL amateur licensees from causing harmful interference, and does not provide ANY exception for interference caused to other amateurs whom the interferer believes have violated a Commission rule." - DA 16-877 at 17
K3PRN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 06:07:31 AM »

Hi:

Purchase a Wellbrook Loop. It's about $450 purchased from there England factory but works very,very well. I have my second now as I foolishly sold the first.

Cheers,

Don K3PRN
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »

Obviously I do not know what kind of residential environment you have.  Can you run some very fine gauge wire out of the window to a tree? IMO that will out perform most indoor type antennas.

Many years ago I lived in an apartment complex and I ran some 26 gauge wire from my window to some trees. Reception was good and nobody noticed the wire.

Dick AD4U
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »

...  If the HOA notices it tell them it is lightning protection and if they force you to remove it and if lightning strikes your house, you will hold them responsible...

Really? Responsible for what?

since when does ANY "lightning protection" prevent a lightning strike?
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »

Put up something that looks like a TV antenna.  The HOA can't make you take that down because of the OTARD law.
KB8DNS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 04:30:47 AM »

I do not think the HOA would mind wires to melt ice on the edge of your roof.... With that thought in mind you very well could run a thicker wire along the edge of the eve with a repetitive W form or shape. Hold the wire up a bit with plastic blocks or PVC rings and these can be tucked under the shingles. Feedpoint could be run down the corner post of the siding and this could be doubled for the other eve or turn the corner of a valley.
  Not knowing where you live, this could be a problem with actual ice build up! Disguising the wire to blend in with the roof colour would be good same with the PVC rings. Just make sure the wire and the standoffs do not hold back water.
  A loop could be rigged and something like this could work as a transmitting wire with a terminating resistor if needed. Depending on length, this could work on 75/80 meters.

73 Rod KB8DNS
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »

If you need 40 feet of antenna then you need a different receiver. I work THE WORLD on a 1/4 wave vertical (a Marconi style, no radials . just one rod straight down in the earth directly under the antenna) The antenna is made from a length of 1/2 inch copper tubing and is right besides the flowering crab apple tree like a tree stake. In fact I doubt any of you would find it unless I pointed it out. I have worked Russia, Estonia and Capetown South Africa and everything in between with it barefoot. (TS830S Kenwood) and can get in even when the big guns are running "more than" legal power. I know you said receive and I might remind ya'all that if I worked them I obviously can hear them. And it hears on all bands although transmitting is limited to 20M as I don't use a tuner. For my low power stuff. I use a 6sl7 regen and a 10 inch loop (3 turns) sitting in the window and It can hear anything any of my other rigs can. A regen hates big antennas. A few feet or a small loop is more then enough. Too much signal is the number one problem with them and is why many can't get them to work. They are so much more sensitive then a superhet it makes one wonder why we have those things. But that is a whole other ball game.
don VE3LYX
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2015, 06:48:22 AM »

Put up a clothes line??? In some areas they are protected due to their being environmentally friendly.  Use a insulated wire for the line; and use it for the antenna.
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »

If you need 40 feet of antenna then you need a different receiver. I work THE WORLD on a 1/4 wave vertical (a Marconi style, no radials . just one rod straight down in the earth directly under the antenna) The antenna is made from a length of 1/2 inch copper tubing and is right besides the flowering crab apple tree like a tree stake. In fact I doubt any of you would find it unless I pointed it out. I have worked Russia, Estonia and Capetown South Africa and everything in between with it barefoot. (TS830S Kenwood) and can get in even when the big guns are running "more than" legal power. I know you said receive and I might remind ya'all that if I worked them I obviously can hear them. And it hears on all bands although transmitting is limited to 20M as I don't use a tuner. For my low power stuff. I use a 6sl7 regen and a 10 inch loop (3 turns) sitting in the window and It can hear anything any of my other rigs can. A regen hates big antennas. A few feet or a small loop is more then enough. Too much signal is the number one problem with them and is why many can't get them to work. They are so much more sensitive then a superhet it makes one wonder why we have those things. But that is a whole other ball game.
don VE3LYX

I checked out your setup here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/copper-vertical.87154/

You've inspired me.

"Section 97.101(d) prohibits ALL amateur licensees from causing harmful interference, and does not provide ANY exception for interference caused to other amateurs whom the interferer believes have violated a Commission rule." - DA 16-877 at 17
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: