The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2015 Prius hybrid 2/440?  (Read 6461 times)
W5DAJ

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »

I just got a 2015 Prius yesterday. I've always just used an HT but I plan to keep it a long time so I'm interested in thoughts and information on a 2/440 install. I don't know how all the dozen plus computers and high voltage stuff will affect it though, if any. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

The first place to go is   http://www.k0bg.com/     Tons of information, easy to understand.  I'm not sure how well the hybrid world is covered (Prius etc.) but K0BG's website is THE place to get started.   73!
W5DAJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »

I'll check that out. Thank you.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »

I've been running a 2m/440 fm rig in a Nissan leaf for a couple of months now.  No problem so far.  I would think that if a handheld / mag-mount combo works adequately, then a proper mobile install would work that much better.

73. Mike
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 04:41:05 AM »

There are a few other issues to cover.

The biggest one is the transceiver. By definition, FM receivers should be immune to AM pulsed noise, and most commercial ones are fairly good in doing so. However, most amateur transceivers are lousy in this respect, and some are so bad, they make perfect RFI noise detection devices! Part of the issue is all of the band coverage we seemingly want, but seldom use, especially the AM-based aircraft bands.

Antennas need to be correctly mounted too, as mag and clip mounts cause a lot of common mode, turning the coax into part of the antenna, regardless of what the SWR looks like.

The bottom line is, a lot of the issues we're bugged with, are self-induced whether we realize it or not.

KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »

Good morning and congrats on your new purchase.  I have a 2011 that I bought new, and really like the car.  I currently have a Yaesu FT-7900 installed with a 1/4 wave NMO permanent mount dual band antenna.  The system works excellent for me, and I've had no interference to the electronics in the car or no interference from the car to my radio.  Prior to the permanent mount antenna, I ran a 1/4 wave dual band mag mount for about 1 year, and I didn't have any problems with it either.  I'm going to try and put some pictures of my setup on another post, and see if I can get it to work. 

My goal for the install was to not have any holes drilled on the interior of the vehicle, yet have a secure setup.  Minus the hole for the NMO mount, I've pretty much accomplished my goal.  I took a 3/4 sheet of plywood, and cut it out to fit under the floating consol.  I put the interior cloth material on top of the plywood, and screwed the radio mounting bracket directly into the plywood.  It is a bit of a puzzle, but it is very secure.  I built a small bracket out of tin that allowed me to tilt up my remote head so I can see it from the drivers seat.  I also mounted an external speaker on top of the radio because I felt the audio on the 7900 left a little to be desired.  Hopefully I'll figure out how to post pictures so you can see. 

Have fun, and let me know if you have any other questions about the install.  I hope you enjoy the car as much as I have.

Wane - KB7FSC
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:12:33 AM »

Hopefully these post OK?  Undecided

Wane - KB7FSC
W5DAJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »

Thank you for the photos. That's a very good looking installation.
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »

I have a 2007 and a 2011 Prius.  I have had my Alinco DR-635 in both.  In the 2007 I had a lip mount antenna.  The hatch back on the 2011 would not work with my old mount so I switched to a mag mount (on the 2011 the side edges of the lid of the hatchback are lower than the lip surrounding them). 

I have the body of the rig mounted in the hatch back area of the car under the floor (driver's side).  The 12V battery is also in the back of these cars (passenger side).  The power lead runs under the floor to the battery + terminal and the grounding point nearest to the battery.

The head is mounted vertically along the side of the center console next to my right leg.  The speaker is under the console in the tray.

I have not had any problems with noise nor have I heard any complaints of noise from anyone receiving my transmissions.

73, Richard
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »

I just got a 2015 Prius yesterday.

Toyota is redoing that car for 2016 model with a complete makeover. It was originally scheduled for 2015 model but they delayed it a year. I am curious to see what they do.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »

I have two 2014 Prius. I expect to trade for two 2016 models soon. Radios have no problem in either car. I go 75 down freeway and use little gas. I love the cars.
W5DAJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »

I like the look of my 2015 more than the 2016 but that's me. I'd like to have the upgraded headlights and the apparently upgraded radio, if it truly is 2015 tech and not 2010 tech like mine. I'd definitely like the ~10% better mpg but wouldn't like the several thousand more it would have cost me. I also wouldn't want to be a first year guinea tester, even for Toyota. All in all I'm very pleased with my car, especially now that I've seen a nice radio install plus other reports of good success.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

I like the look of my 2015 more than the 2016 but that's me. I'd like to have the upgraded headlights and the apparently upgraded radio, if it truly is 2015 tech and not 2010 tech like mine. I'd definitely like the ~10% better mpg but wouldn't like the several thousand more it would have cost me. I also wouldn't want to be a first year guinea tester, even for Toyota. All in all I'm very pleased with my car, especially now that I've seen a nice radio install plus other reports of good success.

From what I read battery technology and availability is what caused delay. Current generation was supposed to have a Lithium battery when it launched several years ago but Toyota bet of wrong lithium type and reverted back to NMI. The next gen/2016 will have a lithium battery with more capacity too and better/more powerful electric motor too. While current Prius has a 60 hp rated electric motor it can only develop about 25 to 30 hp tops on battery power because of limited battery capacity (it has less than 1kw/hr of capacity and is reason why more than very modest low speed acceleration engages engine). 2016 model (originally slated for 2015 model year) is supposed to change this. All new car under skin and a all wheel drive option too.  BTW the Prius V shares drive train with Prius but it has a approximately 20% deeper final drive ratio to handle more weight which lowers MPG a bit but it is more sporty to drive than Prius due to better throttle response from deeper final drive. They sell a 7 seat version of Prius V in Japan. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: