The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will a ham stick for 20 or 40 work on a pickup tonneau cover?  (Read 9951 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »

JX, I have worked several what you call DX stations on a dummy load with 599 reports. But that fact only means the band was open!

I'll be happy to meet you in your back yard in Dayton, and prove to you that excellent reports only means the same thing. Because the truth is, you're only hearing about 1/4 of what on. Do you want to wager?

Alan with you it is always CYA......  It has NOTHING to do with band conditions and I worked good and poor band conditions mobile and your dummy load theory. Yes a mobile will hear less than a base vertical or dipole but on 20m and above they hear surprisingly well unless you are maybe comparing to a beam which is not even a fair test. Biggest problem is man made and power line noise mobile but out in great plains mobile neither is a issue. I have also dealt with mountain static for some areas of travel too.  

If your BS was remotely true everyone is wrong about needing a antenna for HF mobile, they can just mount a dummy load on roof or trunk lip.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:52:47 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 08:17:57 AM »

You miss the point. Here is the deal.

We'll use a disinterested third party to do the measurements, say the same guy who does the 3905 group's measurements. We'll do both transmit and receive, and the difference will be about 20 dB on 80, about 10 dB on 40, and about 6 dB on 20 meters. And to make it interesting, let's make the bet worth my while to drive back to Dayton, next May which I wasn't going to do. Say, $2,500?

N1AUP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »

Why can't you line the inside of the hard cover with stainless steel screening, and use that as the ground plane under the antenna?  Bond the screening to the truck frame.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 07:13:56 AM »

The truth is, almost no matter what you do, you cannot significantly increase the capacity coupling to the surface under a vehicle. In fact, the ground losses under a greyhound bus are about the same as a small sedan. As a result, about the only factors you can improve on are antenna losses, and noise abatement.

What really counts are the signal to noise ratios generated on both ends of the contact. As I mentioned, a dummy load will provide enough SNR to make a contact if the band is open. The reason is, under the right conditions, an ERP of less than 10 milliwatts is all it takes to circle the globe.

The bottom line is, the ability to make contact has nothing to do with the antenna, per se.

KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »

Just install a mount through hole into the metal of your cab roof and never look back again. In your scenario it is about the best you can do. Or have a custom shop create a clean pathway to a bed rail mount through the T cover to properly couple the antenna to metal on your truck. This is going to provide a substantial, however, always compromised, ground plane for the antenna. I used to use a stake hole mount for ham sticks before I got wise and bought a Scorpion screwdriver. Good luck!

Maybe Alan didn't mention it but check out his site ... k0bg.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: