The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Am I? Need Help Identifying HF Mobile Antenna  (Read 4691 times)
N6QS

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »

Need some help in identifying this HF multi-band mobile antenna. I need to know what brand & model so I can dig up a user's manual someplace. There is absolutely no labeling what so ever.

Thanks in advance de Dave N6QS
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »

Well, Dave, I'm sorry, I guess everybody already saw it in "Misc."  I'm sticking with the idea that the two things with the gray coils are Hustler clones.  I like Mike's idea that the short black things are resonators, not mini-HF whips; they look a bit shorter than the "mini-HF" antennas I looked at a handful of years ago.

One thing I'll add; I've found that you can change the frequency of the Hustler-system antennas a good bit by changing the length of the mast and/or whips, as well as using cap hats.  So if that's a 40m resonator on top of the mast, you can probably add some mast and/or whip and move it to 80meters--and get some extra efficiency doing it.

I hope it works out for you!  :-)  --ken
N6QS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »

Mystery solved! Thanks everyone for your help!

It's a Valor AB5T. I just found the invoice (dated 2001) this morning. Can't believe I had it...

I don't mind posting a picture of the invoice because all the info is WAY out of date...

73 de Dave N6QS

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:21 AM »

Hey, glad you got it figured out!  Now that you know what it is, it'll be much easier to figure out how to use it!  :-)  GL!  --ken
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »

Ran one of these years ago. Had it mounted on a Ford Explorer with fishing line for a guy. They sold an adapter where you could mount four resonators at once. 10, 15, 20 around the sides and either the 40 or 75 meter in the center. With a good auto or manual tuner you can load the whole thing up 80-6 meters.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »

If memory serves correctly, no tuner needed.  The impedance of the unused resonators is so high that they're ignored.  Same idea as a fan dipole.

They look great while driving, too.  Probably not as much drag as a Texas Bug Catcher.
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »

Yup. A Hustler knockoff! Valor was reasonably popular with the eleven meter gang. Now if you had waited 15 years you could have gotten free shipping! LOL
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »

I kept regular schedules with the mideast with a 706MKIIG mobile. It had less windload than a screwdriver and was 400$ cheaper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: