The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker Mic with display  (Read 3147 times)
KC5GGE

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:56:39 AM »

I currently use a hand held (I switch between a Baofeng and Kenwood) in my car connected to an external antenna. It works well if I stay on the same frequency. But, changing frequency, setting the radio to scan, stopping scan etc, requires picking the radio up from the cup holder, which I would rather not do while driving.

I would like a speaker mic that has a frequency display and buttons to control the radio. I have never seen one like that before, so I doubt it exists, but thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone has run across this, specifically for a Kenwood handheld (TH-F6A or TH-D72).
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »

Unless the manufacturer offers it then no. It would require more than just a couple of jack sockets to do.
KC5GGE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »

I figured since my Kenwoods have a USB port, that could be used to send display data. Guess there just isn't a big demand for it. I will eventually put a mobile radio in my car. Thanks.
AB2M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:30 PM »

Yaesu had one for the Ft-530 a few decades ago.  Haven't seen one since, to be honest.  There are mounts from RAM and others that can hold an HT in a more visible location, perhaps that might work?
KC5GGE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »

Thanks. I will check out RAM mounts.
N1DDS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »

The solution to this problem is a proper mobile radio.  Look for something inexpensive.  There is plenty out there.  I was in the same position as you.  Even if you have young eyes, the display on an HT is too small for use while mobile (car). 
KC5GGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »

The solution to this problem is a proper mobile radio.  Look for something inexpensive.  There is plenty out there.  I was in the same position as you.  Even if you have young eyes, the display on an HT is too small for use while mobile (car). 

Yep, I will need to do that. It can be tricky to find a way to run the power cables through the firewall.
W3POR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »

Yep, I will need to do that. It can be tricky to find a way to run the power cables through the firewall.

That should not be difficult.  I have a 2003 Subaru and found two or three places to route power cables through the firewall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: