The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 32S-1 issue  (Read 25410 times)
KH6VP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »

...the black 'coax' cable that is behind the resistor and to the left - right under the left resistor wire, comes from the microphone switch. Maybe this cable connects there as well.....
KH6VP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »

If you look at the photo...

you can see that this white/green cable was cut (see the rest of it just under the resistor at left.

I reconnected it. No difference however. Still no tune.

Does a microphone need to be connected for the tune up or not?

WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »

On my 32s-1 the white/green wire goes to the terminal with a 2.2 meg resistor and a .02 uf cap that goes to v1B pin 6 the other end of the wire goes to the mic gain control. It looks like that wire was replaced with the black coax. 73 Bob WD8AJY
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »

Peter;  mic not rqrd.   Since you have a spectrum analyzer, sniff for a signal around V4 and V5.  Do you see the 3MHz +/-?  It should vary with the PTO and is independent of the bandswitch.   +/- 100kHz.  
Even more basic, sniff the PTO at V301 for the 2.5 to 2.7MHz vfo output.  

If that is good, sniff close to V6; that should be your intended carried freq.  
KH6VP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 10:46:09 AM »

Thanks for the hints. I will continue the repair later.
KH6VP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »

Here is what I saw....

1/ VFO tunes from 2.7 to 3.0
2/ USB and LSB switch frequency slightly (454/457)
3/ There is 456KHz at the input of the filter as well as 3.125MHz
4/ With the band switch to 14.0, there is 8.588MHz as the output of the XTAL oscillator
5/ At pin 2 of V5 (2nd mixer), there is 8.557 and 3.125 steady (no change with VFO)
6/ at pin 1 of V6 there is nothing.
7/ Input to pin 1 of V6 comes from the switch mechanism which is under a cover. Should I remove the cover? Don't want to break anything.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »

Here is what I saw....

1/ VFO tunes from 2.7 to 3.0
2/ USB and LSB switch frequency slightly (454/457)
3/ There is 456KHz at the input of the filter as well as 3.125MHz
4/ With the band switch to 14.0, there is 8.588MHz as the output of the XTAL oscillator
5/ At pin 2 of V5 (2nd mixer), there is 8.557 and 3.125 steady (no change with VFO)
6/ at pin 1 of V6 there is nothing.
7/ Input to pin 1 of V6 comes from the switch mechanism which is under a cover. Should I remove the cover? Don't want to break anything.

If you are in SSB , there will be no carrier until there is modulation. You will need to inject a tone.
You should first try CW mode, it's easier. All you need to do is short the key input to produce a carrier.
If it works that way, then you have narrowed it down to SSb section...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:20:24 PM by AC2EU » Logged

WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »

Good points, and I'm assuming the tune position is used, to simulate a CW.  

I'm concerned you report a 2.7 to 3 MHz VFO signal.  It needs to be 2.5 to 2.7.  

V6 is not getting a signal since the freq is way off and the input tuning for V6 is shunting it.  

You see at the input pin of V5, that signal is fixed.  That is a problem.  So, we know something is wrong ahead of V5.  It is generated by a simple mix of the VFO and the 455 IF.  So, its got to go from 2.955 to 3.155.  

I can't figure out where this fixed 3.125 signal is being generated.  It doesn't change with VFO??
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:03:38 PM by WB4SPT » Logged
WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »

Item 4  With the band switch to 14.0, there is 8.588MHz as the output of the XTAL oscillator. that should be doubled 17.55 mhz. above 12 mhz the xtal freq. are doubled .
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »

Good points, and I'm assuming the tune position is used, to simulate a CW. 

You know what happens when we assume things...!  Grin

KH6VP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 10:27:59 PM »

From the intern doctor here......

I will re-connect the spectrum analyzer (the heart machine) later, and try and get actual data.
If you give me exact locations to measure, I will supply data (i.e. photos) and then you, the real doctors, can tell me what I should replace.
Sort of a distance medical intervention. The patient is holding in there; Critical condition but steady, indefinitely. So there is time.

I am also thinking that the switch contacts may be dirty. I did try to clean them with a toothbrush (carefully of course), but they may still require additional cleaning. I need to remove the metal covers for this and will do so later.

Thanks again,
Peter

WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 06:29:47 AM »

A lot of folks, including me, use DeOxit D series on both tube pins and wafer discs.  If you wafers looked seriously black with silver oxide, consider careful cleaning.  But, and this is important, avoid the contact spring fingers at all cost.  Once bent out, things get complicated fast.  I dip a wound up Qtip in the DeOxit liquid and wipe the disc carefully, not to engage the fingers.  For tube pins, pull the tube and dip the pins into a 1/8" deep batch of DeOxit.  Plug back in a couple of times.  Don't mess with the socket contacts themselves.  Radio Shack has carried the spray variety, but beware of the blast from this little can.  It's impressive and overspray is not welcome.  Some have warned of conduction effects, but I've haven't seen them myself.

After this, I would again measure the VFO and the other, fixed freqs in the box.  Your previously reported 300kHz range on the vfo doesn't seem likely.  Are you measuring using the analyzer or a counter?
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »

From the intern doctor here......

I will re-connect the spectrum analyzer (the heart machine) later, and try and get actual data.
If you give me exact locations to measure, I will supply data (i.e. photos) and then you, the real doctors, can tell me what I should replace.
Sort of a distance medical intervention. The patient is holding in there; Critical condition but steady, indefinitely. So there is time.

I am also thinking that the switch contacts may be dirty. I did try to clean them with a toothbrush (carefully of course), but they may still require additional cleaning. I need to remove the metal covers for this and will do so later.

Thanks again,
Peter

You should have a dial frequency carrier at V6 plate in CW or tune mode ( if this rig has one).

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »

"but beware of the blast from this little can.  It's impressive and overspray is not welcome."

I give a little squirt into a clean soda bottle cap, and dip the Q-tip or a wood tooth pick into the cap. Then us it a bit at a time. You don't want to flood contacts/ceramic/ phenolic with the contaminated wash off.

klc

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
KH6VP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »

I took images from the SA. Radio on the 40m band. Exciter tune for maximum signal. In the process I didnt see any USB or LSB signals (around 455KHz +/-) or tone created by V11/V2B. There was only signal at the filter output. It may be the problem.
For the filter image and or the Xtal, the radio may have been on the 14MHz setting.

At the low end of VFO

At the high end of VFO range

At Pin 1 of V6

At pin 2 of V5

At the xtal in point

At the filter (output I think)

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: