The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio noise at my new QTH--loudest at night on 40 meters  (Read 7244 times)
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »

http://youtu.be/4p1o06KUpbQ

I have finally gotten my shack on the air at my new QTH, and find I have loud radio noise.  The attached Yourubr video demonstrates the sound and the level of it.  Has anyone heard this noise before;  can you point me in the right direction?

It seemed electrical to me, so I have gone all around my house with my MFJ noise finder AND a qrp radio:  nothing found in or around the house. I have had electricians come in and check the entire house:  all questionable receptacles, switches, etc. have been replaced.  I even had a new separate circuit put in just for my radios.  Ground rod is 8 feet in the ground, just on the other side of the wall, with less that 6 feet of #4 bare copper wire connecting station to ground.

Thank you!!!

Francis WA4ZYN
901-254-1644

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »

powerline arcing comes to my mind.  start checking around the block for the 3300 volt highline, its insulators, and transformer down to the 120/240 service circuit.  use a directional antenna to pinpoint the noisiest one, and call the power company with the pole number, usually stamped on a disc about hair level.  a ferrite bar AM radio jammed between stations should work as a DF for this one.  these issues can be FCC reportable.
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »

Is this round the clock? Non stop?
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »

Yes, around the clock.  During the day it comes and goes, and is not quite as dramatic.
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »

powerline arcing comes to my mind.  start checking around the block for the 3300 volt highline, its insulators, and transformer down to the 120/240 service circuit.  use a directional antenna to pinpoint the noisiest one, and call the power company with the pole number, usually stamped on a disc about hair level.  a ferrite bar AM radio jammed between stations should work as a DF for this one.  these issues can be FCC reportable.

That was my first thought too.  Power is underground here.  There is the "big green box" just off the front corner of my lawn by the street.   I did pick up some noise from it when I was right on it with my little radio, but I had to be standing right over it.  I have driven around the neighborhood with my AM radio and found nothing.  That's when I started scratching my head.  Thank you.  I will get a number off the "green box" and try calling.  Thank you very much.

Francis WA4ZYN
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »

I forgot to mention also:  there is no noise except the expected white noise if I unplug the antenna, so I know the noise isn't coming in on the AC line;  it's coming via the antenna/feedline. 
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »

I had something similar to that several years back. It started when Christmas lights went up, and stopped when lights came down.

When troubleshooting your home, did you try turning off your main breaker?

WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »

I had something similar to that several years back. It started when Christmas lights went up, and stopped when lights came down.

When troubleshooting your home, did you try turning off your main breaker?

I did not try turning off the main. I did go down the breakers one-by-one and found no culprit, but not the main.  It's tricky with turning things on and off while trying not to upset anyone else at home.  I tend to wait till others are gone to do such things!  And I can't figure out why at night(?).  That had made me think of lighting, and for that, the several fluorescent light fixtures in the house.  But nothing showed up when I had their respective breakers off. 

WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 07:20:02 PM »

Here is an updated recording of the noise:  this time on AM mode and AGC off (someone's suggestion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKs0PqGIsRo

TNX.
francis WA4ZYN
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 05:08:58 AM »

Can you hear this with a different antenna? A portable receiver? Your car radio?
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 05:13:57 AM »

It is difficult just listening to the recordings, but I am wondering if you have an intermittent connection in your antenna system.
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 05:15:21 AM »

Does a desired signal pop in and out too?
Can you provide a recording of a desired signal?
I do see and hear those little pops of noise....
I keep listening to the recordings...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:26:37 AM by N9BH » Logged
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

Thanks for your response.  No, desired signals do not go in and out;  just the noise. 

I just installed a Polyphaser IS-B50HU-CO inline a few minutes ago, and then listened again.  The noise was gone at the time on 40 meters, but here is the noise I heard on 80 meters (1:30 p.m. Central, AM mode, AGC off):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq20CYENzfY

I will check again tonight, as the noise is always worst at night. 

I am about to go "drive the neighborhood", looking for a noise source.  Will let you know what I find.

73, and thanks, everyone!
Francis WA4ZYN
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 05:18:44 AM »

I don't know if they can generate the kind of noise you are experiencing, but watch for street lights that are acting up.
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

I am glad you mentioned street lights.  I was thinking about that today.  There are two in my neighborhood that are acting up.  One goes on and off sporadically, and another doesn't light at all.  I will see if I can find out anything about that.

Francis WA4ZYN
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: