The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Deluxe Rigblaster Nomic With CI-V Control  (Read 3443 times)
KG5HUU

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »

Hello,

I have an Icom IC-746PRO. I control it with Ham Radio Deluxe using a CI-V to RS232 to USB adapter.

I am looking into getting into digital modes such as PSK31. I want to use DM780 for this. I want to keep using the CI-V control but I want to use a RIG Blaster Nomic for digital operation. I know that the program needs to send a special RTS signal through the RIG Blaster to the radio for it to transmit properly.

To do this, I propose to keep using the CI-V control in Ham Radio Deluxe however set DM780 to use the RIG Blaster comport only for PTT triggering.

I will leave the Program Options in Ham Radio Deluxe alone. However I will go into the Program Options in DM780. In the Program Options I will go to the PTT section. In the PTT section I will set DM780 to use the RIG Blaster comport instead of the Ham Radio Deluxe's TCP/IP server. I will then select the RTS button in the PTT section.

Basically, I will be using the CI-V in Ham Radio Deluxe, but the Rig Blaster COM in DM780.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks for the response in advance and 73,
Mike
KG5HUU
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:07:41 AM by KG5HUU » Logged
N4DCT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »

Would you not just let DM use the PTT from HRD?
KG5HUU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:56:38 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the RTS signal needs to be sent through the Nomic.
N4DCT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the RTS signal needs to be sent through the Nomic.

I am not sure. I use the Plug N Play and I run DM through HRD.  The nomic might be different though.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »

I am not sure. I use the Plug N Play and I run DM through HRD.  The nomic might be different though.

Yes, Mike, all of your initial assumptions are correct. You will need two serial ports to support both rig control and digital modes.

Short of my home brew interface, the Nomic is the simplest adapter made for digital modes. And it doesn't really do any blasting. It is strictly for digital modes and has nothing to do with rig control.

The Nomic taps into the RTS and DSR signals from a RS-232 port to handle PTT. It uses a opto-isolator to provide rig/pc isolation.

The same with the audio in/out. In the Nomic, the audio to/from the computer is jumpered, input to output. The audio is then tapped off and sent to the the rig. It uses a transformer to provide rig/pc isolation.

There are several ways that you can use HRD/DM780 to put your rig into transmit. If one of the CIV commands allows a rig to be put into transmit, then a command from HRD can be used. There should be a selection in DM780 that specifies CIV control. DM780 would then tell HRD when to send the command.

Or, DM780 could use a serial port (separate from the CIV rig control) and allow the RTS or DSR signals to key the PTT. This is the way I do it.

Or, you could use the VOX built in to the rig. But this can be a problem sometimes. I use the rear accessory connector to connect my IC-735 to my PC. While the rig has a VOX, it is not usable from the rear accessory connector. So I just use the RTS/DSR signal from a serial port to do the job. I also do this because some of my rigs do not have a VOX and I want the interface to be usable by all of them.

If you simply use the RTS or DSR signals to key the PTT, these same signals can be used to key CW. With my interface, if I switch from PSK-31 to CW, I just switch the PTT output cable to the CW Key input. DM780 has a configuration item that handles the switch between PTT and CW Key.

Of course, you could simply stay in the USB mode and use the audio to send CW. This is not MCW, which is not allowed on the low bands. If your rig puts out a clean PSK signal it should also put out a clean CW signal.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: