The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dedicated rx vs transceiver for swl?  (Read 43672 times)
KD9BWS

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »

Would a receiver such as the Icom R75 be a better choice for swl'ing over a hf transceiver?
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »

Just looking at the R75's specs, it does not come with a DSP.  It does, however, offer 30-60MHz coverage, which most transceivers do not.

I'd put the extra money into a better transceiver than buying two.

All of the other features and capabilities seem the same as most transceivers.

KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »

Thank you. That is kind of what I figured but wasn't sure if a dedicated receiver does it better on the receiving end. I was just using the Icom R75 as an example. 
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »

Hi what is the purpose of having the receiver and whats your main intrest in monitoring reason i ask i got 2 Icom-R75 one is the australian model with no dsp and the american model with dsp which in my personal experience the dsp is useless do have other dsp receivers in the same boat have other receivers from alinco,aor,commradio,drake,icom,jrc,palstar,ten tec,winradio,yaesu and its as good as others did have a Kenwood-TS480SAT transivier but the receiving wasnt as good as any of my receivers.

Regards Lino.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:13:25 PM by AUSSIE » Logged
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:57:09 PM »

Basically I wanted something for home that would be better than my Tecsun PL-660 which is a great portable.  If a transceiver will works as well as a receive only unit then I will probably just get a decent transceiver.  I have a CW only radio for my truck when I'm out on the road.  But when I'm home I have more options.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »

I think the ic718 is closely related to the r75 rx circuit-wise, and about as inexpensive especially used. The Icom add-in audio dsp board is nice to have for the notch ability, and if set at a low setting, the dsp noise reduction can help with background noise.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »

I believe both the R-75 and the IC-718 now come with the UT-106 DSP module installed.

I have owned both and if I had to make a choice, I would go with the 718, just to give me the option of having transmitting capabilities. 
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 11:58:51 AM »

The Icom 718 looks nice.  It appears not to have FM? 

I have been eyeballing the Yaesu ft450d.  I little pricier, but has some really nice features.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »

The 718 doesn't have FM, but the only place you would use it is on the FM portion of 10 Meters, anyway.

I've been looking at the 450D also.  Looks like a good little rig for the money, and has 6 Meters.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »

I would suggest a RX Ensemble by Fivedash. They sell built units probably for less than a Tecsun PL660, which is a great portable. You need a soundcard that has a stereo line in input. The RX Ensemble is quite robust to intermodulations, can be connected to a large antenna, is sensitive enough, has any digital filters and is all mode (AM, LSB, USB, RTT, CW and FM).
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »

I would suggest a RX Ensemble by Fivedash. They sell built units probably for less than a Tecsun PL660, which is a great portable. You need a soundcard that has a stereo line in input. The RX Ensemble is quite robust to intermodulations, can be connected to a large antenna, is sensitive enough, has any digital filters and is all mode (AM, LSB, USB, RTT, CW and FM).

The RXII is a fantastic little receiver for the price. For just a few dollars more, one might also consider the SDRPlay direct-sampling receiver:

http://www.sdrplay.com/

"Section 97.101(d) prohibits ALL amateur licensees from causing harmful interference, and does not provide ANY exception for interference caused to other amateurs whom the interferer believes have violated a Commission rule." - DA 16-877 at 17
KC5IIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »

Most hf transceivers attenuate the Broadcast band frequencies. If you're interested in dxing the AM band, a stand alone hf receiver is a much better choice (unless you enjoy modifying your own gear). Just an FYI , 73

Chris. W5ZIB
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »

Most hf transceivers attenuate the Broadcast band frequencies. If you're interested in dxing the AM band, a stand alone hf receiver is a much better choice (unless you enjoy modifying your own gear). Just an FYI , 73

Chris. W5ZIB

Thank you for this.  That's exactly the information I was looking for.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:00:52 AM »

Suggest you consider a used Drake R8 receiver.  Mine is significantly more comfortable for SWL work than any of my HF transceivers, including the Elecraft K3.  Just sayin'  -- very subjective topic

73  Shocked
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »

Chris. W5ZIB

The Kenwood TS-590S can be made as good as the others by removing the "BC-Traps" fitted as standard to the E model. They attenuate the 11 and 15 MHz BC Bands. The K model (US) is not supposed to have these fitted as standard.

For more info see the In-Depth or Service Manual.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: