The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old time radio mystery story shows  (Read 14514 times)
NR5P

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

I know I've heard the old time radio shows before on shortwave. Anyone know of what stations or shows still broadcast these on shortwave? Specifically the mysteries. Just got a beautiful shortwave for the living room and me and my wife were wanting to listen to some tonight.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »

IIRC, some of the US stations -- WBCQ and WWCR come to mind immediately -- aired OTR radio programming on occasion, but that was 5-10 years ago.  I can't find anything saying that they're aired anywhere today.  Your best bet for that kind of programming is the internet, unless When Radio Was is syndicated in your area.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »

You can down load the programs, some free, just Google. A few years ago I downloaded a bunch of Dragnet and other radio shows like that.  FYI

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 05:15:58 AM »

The only time I heard the old radio shows played over the air was about 35 years ago, when I was living in Germany (DA2EU). The Air Force Network (AFN) use to play them every night. The Air Force was allowed a very low power radio and TV station that only covered a few miles around the air base. But this wasn't on shortwave frequencies. It was on the standard FM band. I could receive the radio station but not the TV signal.

I know it's not the same as listening over the air, but I think you best bet is downloading from the internet. Most of the shortwave broadcasting use to happen in the 40 Meter band, but there is very few broadcast stations left.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KD2DNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:21:19 AM »

I listen to old time radio on 900khz at 11pm Eastern.  The station comes out of Canada CHML.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

While not broadcast over the air, try these sites ...

Welcome to CBS Radio Mystery Theater

Enjoy our episode guide of all 1,399 CBS Radio Mystery Theater old time radio shows for free! You can stream or download old radio shows in MP3 format or copy radio shows to CD. We're big fans of Radio Mystery Theater and by offering shows from the golden age of radio for free, we keep the spirit of the Radio Mystery Theater alive!

http://www.cbsrmt.com/synopsis.html

Programs from 1974 to 1982.

Another selection at...

Old Time Radio
You are invited to listen to and download Old Time Radio shows here!

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:32:23 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »

Some of the PBS stations air old radio shows starting at 9PM on Sunday nights. I hear them on FM though, not on short wave.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

Zoomer radio, 930 AM, runs OTR shows at 10PM EST.Otherwise, a part 15 transmitter will let you broadcast your own playlists. I have a few hundred CDs full of MP3 shows.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »

It's been a few years and I don't know for sure if he's still there, but search the web for "Randy's Old-Time Radio" website.  Very reasonable fee allows you to FTP large quantities of public-domain radio programming, and Randy (he's a ham, has a W8 call I believe) has a HUGE selection.  Mysteries, comedies, sitcoms, variety shows, tons of stuff.   Give a listen to a few episodes of "The Goon Show," a huge British comedy!
KI3R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »

Hello all ... I listen to detective programs on the internet.  The site is Audio Noir.  The fellow who runs it has a very nice assortment of programs ...  all detective stories.  My favorite is The Lion's Eye with Jack Webb.  The writing is very good.  One line Jack Webb used was "He looked about as happy as a termite in a granite quarry"   Take Care ...  Tom  KI3R  Belle Vernon PA.
W9AFB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »

Excellent site with quality streaming old time programs
http://radio.macinmind.com/
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »

I believe Sirius XM has a dedicated old-time mystery channel.  I listen to them when I'm in the car, waiting for the XYL.  Otherwise, they're too "distracting".

N9LCD
AB1DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »

Zoomer radio, 930 AM, runs OTR shows at 10PM EST.Otherwise, a part 15 transmitter will let you broadcast your own playlists. I have a few hundred CDs full of MP3 shows.

K1ZJH is spot on, with one small correction...  Zoomer is on 740 kHz, and you can also stream them online... http://www.zoomerradio.ca/

I like this streaming service too... http://radio.macinmind.com/ - I built an SSTRAN AMT 3000 AM transmitter tuned to 1000 kHz (dead freq. in central CT) and tied it into a Chromebook in my basement tuned to stream Antioch Broadcast Network.  It's great to be able to get OTR programming on demand on my Philco 46-1226 I recapped that is in my living room.  It's a really fun set-up.

73 de AB1DQ/James
Cheshire CT
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »

I can often pick up CFZM on my Hammarlund HQ140-XA! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: