The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese propaganda on medium wave  (Read 27465 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »

We used to get (and send) our propaganda from afar. Now it's on domestic medium wave:
http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/china-radio/

AB1DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

Yeah, CRI broadcasts here on WILD 1090 kHz in Boston. 
Definitely some of the more interesting programming on domestic BCB in years!
Cheers/AB1DQ
James
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:24:00 AM »

We used to get (and send) our propaganda from afar. Now it's on domestic medium wave:
http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/china-radio/

That report got the attention of the FCC and the Justice Department:

FCC, Justice Department investigate covert Chinese radio network
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/02/us-china-radio-fcc-idUSKCN0SR2AI20151102

N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »

Yeah, I read that a few days ago and found it very interesting. Will be worth following.

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:48:10 AM »

Any similarity to this?  https://www.RT.com/on-air/   
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:37:07 AM »

The article about CRI was very informative to say the least. We've had SW propaganda broadcasts for years by other contries and the US. Heck as an avid SWL'er back in the pre-ham days, I had a wall full of QSL's from all of the major broadcasters. Any one remember Radio Free Europe? VOA had nothing over the Chinese or the Russians.

Now they are broadcasting and on the Internet in the US instead of beaming in from overseas.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »

The article about CRI was very informative to say the least. We've had SW propaganda broadcasts for years by other contries and the US. Heck as an avid SWL'er back in the pre-ham days, I had a wall full of QSL's from all of the major broadcasters. Any one remember Radio Free Europe? VOA had nothing over the Chinese or the Russians.

Now they are broadcasting and on the Internet in the US instead of beaming in from overseas.
   Yep, and anyone with a smartphone can hear and see them!!
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »

The WILD regurgitation runs about 500 watts at night and fights it out with the light dimmer noise here,  and the DC station is like the old WLKW, 50 KW burning a hole in some uninhabited spot. They used a SEVEN vertical "array".  Why is it the Chinese get away with their lies but the PC police try to stop the truth from other sources?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »

They're just buying a ton of time on brokered stations. I doubt they will find any illegalities in it.

I think the FCC rules apply to station ownership, not companies that buy blocks of time on radio stations.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I sometimes here the station out of Portland, Oregon -- on rare occasions when the stars are aligned just right. :-)
AC2NZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 05:46:11 AM »

I don't see what the big deal is; VoA broadcasts on FM in many countries - they used to in Russia, even. *We* can do it but they can't?

It's quite easy to ignore such broadcasts if you don't wish to learn anything about the originating country. After all, almost nobody listens to AM radio any more.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:07 AM »

After all, almost nobody listens to AM radio any more.
Many say the same of SW these days.

K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »

I don't see what the big deal is; VoA broadcasts on FM in many countries - they used to in Russia, even. *We* can do it but they can't?

It's quite easy to ignore such broadcasts if you don't wish to learn anything about the originating country. After all, almost nobody listens to AM radio any more.
  WE don't broadcast propaganda.  The Chinese DO.   The First Amendment  doesn't say anything about "We the people" of China. Perhaps, you think the government of CHina is all sweetness and light.
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

The Reuters story reminded me of the time in the 1970's when the President's brother, Billy Carter, was cornered for business dealings with Libya. Billy's comment, famous at the time, was "I ain't no foreign agent".

The Billy Beer came later.
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »

WE don't broadcast propaganda.  The Chinese DO.   The First Amendment  doesn't say anything about "We the people" of China. Perhaps, you think the government of CHina is all sweetness and light.

Propaganda is relative.  I'm sure the Russians and Chinese didn't care much for us beaming VOA propaganda broadcasts into their territories during the Cold War.  Indeed, by all accounts, they did their best to jam them.

Before someone starts pointing fingers, I'm not arguing that what the Chinese are doing isn't illegal -- it is, by our law.  They've skipped a whole bunch of regulatory steps that are required of foreign agents who wish to broadcast in this country.

But I'm also going to assume that if VOA is, today, actually broadcasting on FM stations in other countries, they're on the up and up about it, at least to the extent of identifying themselves as the Voice of America.  The broadcasts in question on the Chinese-owned stations were being presented as straight-up news without any identification of their origin.

For those who question ownership of the stations, the Reuters article was pretty clear who controls WCRW:

At WCRW, Beijing holds a direct financial interest in the Washington station’s broadcasts. Corporate records in the United States and China show a Beijing-based subsidiary of the Chinese state-owned radio broadcaster owns 60 percent of an American company that leases almost all of the station’s airtime.

That's not station ownership, but for all intents and purposes, it might as well be.  And the FCC should take an interest in who controls the airtime of one of its licensees, particularly if that controller is a foreign agent who's sneaking around behind the scenes and avoiding lawful registration.  "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 07:54:45 AM »

Really?  And on what planet does this occur?  VOA's editorials are specifically announced as the views of the United States government -- propaganda by definition.  All opinions, issued by government, private institutions, or individuals, are propaganda.  They exist to influence the public with their own point of view.

And then do we have to go into the blatant propaganda spewed by our so-called "news" organizations, both from the right and left?  How about the views expressed by Alex Jones and his ilk on shortwave? 

The First Amendment allows for all of it, truth or not.  Don't like it?  You have a tuning dial/channel selector.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: