The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese propaganda on medium wave  (Read 28189 times)
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »

Constitutional rights extend to residents of the U.S. (including illegal aliens), not just citizens. That would undoubtedly include U.S. companies, even if they were 60% owned by foreign investors as well as foreign individuals.

I still don't see the harm in CRI broadcasting inside the U.S. The AM stations they use aren't high raters. AM stations generally aren't. One man's propaganda is another man's truth. I see a lot more of what could pass for propaganda on domestic media (especially "news" posts on FB) than I have heard on CRI's English SW broadcasts.

The Chinese military and Chinese government may not be entirely benign towards the U.S. (or other countries in their region, for that matter), but that doesn't mean that Americans shouldn't have the opportunity to hear their point of view. Most Americans won't bother. Radio Moscow blanketed the SE US on MW from Cuba during the 1980's. I have no idea how high their ratings were, but I'm sure they weren't remarkable.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »

Constitutional rights extend to residents of the U.S. (including illegal aliens), not just citizens. That would undoubtedly include U.S. companies, even if they were 60% owned by foreign investors as well as foreign individuals.

IIRC, the only requirement is that the major stockholders of a company holding a broadcast station license be US citizens.  That's why Rupert Murdoch became a naturalized citizen when he bought Fox.

I still don't see the harm in CRI broadcasting inside the U.S. The AM stations they use aren't high raters. AM stations generally aren't. One man's propaganda is another man's truth. I see a lot more of what could pass for propaganda on domestic media (especially "news" posts on FB) than I have heard on CRI's English SW broadcasts.

There is no problem.  Don't like it?  Don't listen.  Most people won't bother.

The Chinese military and Chinese government may not be entirely benign towards the U.S. (or other countries in their region, for that matter), but that doesn't mean that Americans shouldn't have the opportunity to hear their point of view. Most Americans won't bother. Radio Moscow blanketed the SE US on MW from Cuba during the 1980's. I have no idea how high their ratings were, but I'm sure they weren't remarkable.

I listen to CRI's Beijing Hour fairly regularly, and I find almost no anti-US government propaganda anywhere in the broadcast.  You'll get more of that on Fox News or Limbaugh's show.  CRI is not the old Mao-era Radio Peking.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »

I've heard CRI's news broadcasts a few times. They are good for anybody who is interested in Far East goings-on, slanted to the POV of the power who is inarguably the #1 or #2 power in the area, depending how you view USA influence in the region. Me, I'm not that interested in East Asian politics. But for people who are, CRI is a must-listen. I wish they would take some cues from Russia and build a RT-style international news service. RT has been phenomenally successful in the US and UK, and I would like to see China get some of that cake. Unfortunately, VOA is largely shut down or playing country music interspersed with fluffy 15 minute pseudo-news bulletins. VOA and BBC used to be the gold standard, and Russians would believe them before believing Pravda. VOA is now gone and BBC is extremely far left. Most of the rest of the world's "news" simply regurgitates Associated Press and Reuters. RT has one of the only boots-on-the-ground investigative news services in the entire world. And they spend LESS than the BBG spends so that VOA can broadcast pop music to Iran.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »

Unfortunately, VOA is largely shut down or playing country music interspersed with fluffy 15 minute pseudo-news bulletins. VOA and BBC used to be the gold standard, and Russians would believe them before believing Pravda. VOA is now gone and BBC is extremely far left.

The VOA English Service isn't gone yet, but it might as well be.  Between the 50 entries shown in Short-Wave.info, they only broadcast at 0300-0700 and 1400-2100 UTC.  Definitely a blip compared to their glory days.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »

That's not station ownership, but for all intents and purposes, it might as well be.  And the FCC should take an interest in who controls the airtime of one of its licensees, particularly if that controller is a foreign agent who's sneaking around behind the scenes and avoiding lawful registration.  "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

The "controller" is the guy who puts the tape on the tape player at the station.  And he does what his boss, the station owner tells him to play that tape at some specified time.  If that tape has cuss words on it or such, then that guy at the station wouldn't play it, or stops it, as the FCC would want him to do to keep the station under control. 

I doubt many people listen to such things anyway.  Anyone who does would realize that it's the viewpoint of the Chinese government, just like people elsewhere in the world know that VOA is the American government's view on something.  Most would say "whatever..."

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: