The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 SP1 released today  (Read 59981 times)
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »

btw, i decided to try Linux Mint (dual boot) but my new Dell i7 / Windows 10 PC seems to want to make that difficult(?) when i finally figured out how to get the UEFI to boot by CD/DVD it returns a "no bootable device found" error.  does Windows now actively try to make that difficult or is it likely an ESO* error on my part ?  (*Equipment Superior to Operator). it could be very well be a basic error on my part...   is there a difference between downloading Linux to a DVD and making that DVD bootable Huh 

I was able to install Mint 17.3 alongside Win 10 Pro on my HP Envy (who came up with that branding?) x360 laptop with no issues other than the lack of WiFi (it loads one module too many at boot time, and it has to be removed for WiFi to work).  I freed up 100 Gb for it, using the Windows disk utilities, then installed Mint the usual way.  I had to disable Secure Boot, but that's no big deal.

The touchscreen isn't supported, and I haven't tried to find a fix for it (if any), but that's not an issue for me.  Everything else works perfectly.  No proprietary drivers (NVIDIA, etc.) are necessary.  I'll keep Windows around for the few times I need it (and I paid $100 for the upgrade to Pro) and I keep my files on that partition, but 99% of the time, Mint does everything I need.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »

it is really discouraging that more people have not seen Citizen Four:

www.amazon.com/Citizenfour-Edward-Snowden/dp/B00XIFAJMS

I am going to watch it tonight.

Ok I watched it and I have to say I was a bit disappointed.  It may be my fault for going in thinking that the movie was going to give more details on how all the data mining, meta keys etc were being used.  Instead it was mostly just a movie about how and why Snowden did what he did and all the events taking place while they were looking for him. I mean its deeper than that but I am just giving a quick review.

Mentioned briefly in the movie was something that I was lucky enough to see the whole interview on. And IMO it's one of the things I found the most fascinating.  It was when he was being interviewed by one of the reporters and was asked how the data was being used, I found his answer about the artificial AI program to be very disturbing.  It gathers web related data using meta tags and adds in other surveillance data like Credit card purchases etc and the process it through this AI system to build a psychological profile on every person in America and abroad.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:53:49 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »

If it was true that they were stealing personal data there would be a lot of lawsuits.

it is hard to claim MS is stealing personal data when they give away Windows 10 for free and then force the user sign away their privacy in the EULA...

here is a youtube video which outlines some of the problem as well as potential privacy remedies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rczgCmoNSSE
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2015, 03:58:22 AM »

it is hard to claim MS is stealing personal data when they give away Windows 10 for free and then force the user sign away their privacy in the EULA...

You really are pretty clueless and easily influenced huh? I bet you think they faked moon landing too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »

You really are pretty clueless and easily influenced huh? I bet you think they faked moon landing too.

Microsoft landed on the moon?  i did not know that...   

if you think MS hasn't decided to profit from data mining and that Windows 10 is truly 'free' -- then pot, let me introduce myself as mr. kettle
noone is saying MS is evil, just that you are trading them your privacy for their product and that they profit off the marketing and advertising revenue they can generate by virtually monitoring everything you do with Windows 10 (and 7 is being back-fitted).  knowing everything about you is $ -- and in our society the quest for money trumps practically everything else.

here is a long (wordy nerdy) youtube video going thru a lot of the default Windows 10 'privacy' settings and the difficulty of setting them so that they protect rather than exploit your privacy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

MS -- in its quest for profit -- clearly agrees in spirit with what Google's chairman Eric Schmidt once said -- "You have no privacy, get over it!"
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »

If it was true that they were stealing personal data there would be a lot of lawsuits.

here is a youtube video which outlines some of the problem as well as potential privacy remedies:

most of that video can be achieved by using software like "shutup-10" or similar.
- the most helpful bit, was the suggestion to *not* use the Microsoft Account,
but rather use the Local Account, which is similar in use to how win-7 is used.
& another web browser.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »

most of that video can be achieved by using software like "shutup-10" or similar.
& another web browser.

The problem with installing and running any kind of free OS modifying software is that you really have no clue what else it might be doing.  I must admit that O&O does look like a legit company, but who knows.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:04:23 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2015, 04:12:57 AM »

Spybot folks put out Anti-Beacon - which also supposedly blocks Win 10 from phoning home.

As I see it - what NSA or MS gets from my computer is of little loss to me, or gain to them. My real fear is that MS will get hacked and that data (including online purchase and credit card information) will get into the hands of a criminal party.

Hence, I am still running Win 7 - with no recent updates (that add telemetry to same).

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »

When Bill Gates was 14.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:16 AM »

Quote from: W8JX

& another web browser.

The problem with installing and running any kind of free OS modifying software is that you really have no clue what else it might be doing.  I must admit that O&O does look like a legit company, but who knows.

73s
Rob

MJR you misattributed a JX quote re: MS to me.  i have fixed it above, and normally i would say it is no big deal, but in this context i think u owe me an apology!  Wink  Cheesy
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2015, 02:10:19 AM »

Quote from: W9KEY
Quote from: KX4OM
When Bill Gates was 14.

Microsoft did not exist then, it was NASA that landed on the Moon in 1969.  i was 7.  if i remember right and am not mixing memories, they let us watch on a black and white TV in the middle of our classroom at elementary school (which would mean it occurred on a school day during school hours in the midwestern USA)...
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:45 AM »

Microsoft did not exist then, it was NASA that landed on the Moon in 1969.  i was 7.  if i remember right and am not mixing memories, they let us watch on a black and white TV in the middle of our classroom at elementary school (which would mean it occurred on a school day during school hours in the midwestern USA)...

Neil Armstrong took his first step on the moon on 7/20/69 at approximately 11 PM EDT (7/21 @ 0300 UTC).  They had landed a few hours earlier, at 4 PM EDT (2000 UTC).  My family and I stayed up to watch it live that night (I was not quite 14, and in Indiana).  I'm quite sure that Bill Gates and his family (and 99% of the country) did the same thing.  If you were watching it at school, it was either a videotape, or you were taking some late-night summer school class. Grin 

And, yes, the moon walk itself was in black & white, but so were most VTR machines at schools in those days.  Network studio coverage was in living color.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »

Neil Armstrong took his first step on the moon on 7/20/69 at approximately 11 PM EDT (7/21 @ 0300 UTC).  They had landed a few hours earlier, at 4 PM EDT (2000 UTC).  My family and I stayed up to watch it live that night (I was not quite 14, and in Indiana).  I'm quite sure that Bill Gates and his family (and 99% of the country) did the same thing.  If you were watching it at school, it was either a videotape, or you were taking some late-night summer school class. Grin 

And, yes, the moon walk itself was in black & white, but so were most VTR machines at schools in those days.  Network studio coverage was in living color.

thanks for the info.  looking at a timeline, maybe the one we watched in school was Apollo 12, 14, 16 or 17...Huh  maybe after the initial success of 11 (and no disasters) they thought kids would benefit from watching and encouraged schools to enable it?  i guess it could also have been a re-broadcast of Apollo 11...   maybe when i get older my memory of back then will come into better focus... Wink
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

& another web browser.

73s
Rob

MJR you misattributed a JX quote re: MS to me.  i have fixed it above, and normally i would say it is no big deal, but in this context i think u owe me an apology!  Wink  Cheesy

LOL sorry  Grin
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:51:06 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »

Running Windows under VMWare on a 2014 iMac.  Win 7 is stable, runs Ham Radio Deluxe no problem.  Installed Windows 10 (WM Ware keeps each virtual "machine" separate) on the iMac (tried for hours over several days to get it to install on my macbook - it just won't do it so I run Win 7 on the macbook).

While I like how much faster Win 10 appears to be, I have privacy/security concerns like most of the IT world does.

While functionally it seems okay, I can't get the program to recognize my RCS rotator controller under Win 10.  Mac sees it when I plug it in, and it shows up in VMWare as a USB device but as much as I've tried, HRD's rotator controller can't see it.  Shows up as com port 11 on Win 7, same in Win 10, just invisible to HRD.

One of those infamous "whose software's causing the problem" dilemmas, like nature versus nurture, or angels dancing on the head of a pin, you know?  I COULD try posting on the MAC boards, the Windows site, spend hours and hours troubleshooting, or just use Win 7 for as long as I need it to run HRD and HRD still works on it.

Maybe in a few years there will be a package as comprehensive as HRD for MAC (Maclogger DX?  Can't get it up and running under VMWare on Win 7 quicly enough, connect the ports, etc., to make much use out of the 15 minute limited use trial then start all over again.  No thanks, a-holes).

Funny, I know of people still using XP - medical professionals - because it works and it's not open to the internet so why bother with thousands of dollars in software upgrades?

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Norm
K3NB

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: