The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ts 590..  (Read 5335 times)
KD2DYY

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

Hi folks... I have a good friend that owns a Kenwood ts590 radio..... He states that he has NEVER heard his cooling fans come on.. I ,too, have a ts590 and routinely hear my fans cycle.... I typically run 100  watts. I think he keeps his power level at 90-95 watts...
I know how to get into the service menu and was wondering if there is a menu number that we can use to "exercise" the cooling fans. This would be to check that his fans are hooked up and CAN run..
Next would be checking the thermostat for the fans and see if they are presenting any output depending on temperature sensing.
Anybody poses the full service mode menu listings?Huh

Thanks for any info that you can provide.
                                                                                                                                   Mike (KD2DYY)
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

His is probably correct. You have been in the service menu and turned up the power and that's why your fans run. A correctly aligned TS590 running SSB will not cause the fans to run unless you talk for over abt 15 min straight. What is your power out in CW mode to a calibrated wattmeter?

And no there is no such thing in the service menu.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »

The fan in my TS-440SAT has never come on. The one in my '570SG has only come on during long winded ssb, and never on cw. I suppose it would if I used am/fm.
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »

My TS-590s fan also does not come on during routine use, or ever, in fact. I usually run 100 watts, but sometimes drop it to about 60 to drive an amp. Perhaps your temp sensor is bad.

Conversely, my FT-8900r's fan comes on every time I key the mic, runs awhile, then shuts down unless it's hot.

The service manual has a listing of each setting, and if fan control were present, you would see it. The service manual, as well as the 'enhanced" user manual is available as a .pdf online, Google knows where it is.

As an aside related to the service manual settings, having worked as a bench tech for a radio/receiver/signal generator manufacturer, I'm not too quick to try to tweak anything for additional output power, especially without test equipment. We used spectrum analyzers to watch for bandwidth, peak amplitude and harmonics when we tuned the various stages and many times it was hard to get specified output without losing bandwidth or moving the center freq, inducing spurious signals and/or increasing current beyond normal levels. In my opinion, if any old TS-590s was capable of producing 110 or 120 watts of clean power with minor adjustment, they'd tune it for that, rate it for that and advertise heavily. No mystery or magic. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the techs had to let them go through at 99 watts to meet all other specs...

ETA: Found the chart of "average" service manual settings that you may find helpful:
http://www.w1aex.com/ts590s/590_service_menu_five_rigs.xls
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:25:14 PM by NZ4ZN » Logged
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:36:57 AM »

:)I posted about this issue in 2013:
I had the same problem with my TS-590s, it was getting blisteringly hot during DX pile ups with no fan running.
I solved the issue by parallelling a 12k 1/8w resistor across the heat sensing thermistor terminals on the PA board next to the final transistors, and the fan came in sooner, and stayed in for longer.
No more heat!.

I did the same with my TS-430s--a rig known for heat related issues in the PA.
It would seem the temperature setpoint for the fans to start running is pretty high on some rigs.
On the ts590s, I guess the analogue value would be converted to a digital value in the uP, and the arbitrary digital value would be compared to a preset value.
Pity that setting is not available for adjustment to the operator.
It is also apparent that on some ts-590s 's the fans work ok, some seem to get hot, because the setpoint for fans running seems to vary. (might be different thermistor values or batches..)

73 de William
ZS4L  / ZS5WC
KD2DYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 04:11:01 AM »

To all who have provided feedback to my friend's ts590 fan issues I thank you ,all, very much. I will forward all forum discussions to him .
Wishing ALL a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and thanks to all who come together in this hobby to help each other...It IS appreciated.

73's to all              Mike (KD2DYY)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: