The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boat Anchors- How much Transceiver do you really need?  (Read 28209 times)
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »

Yep,  I will probably get one more new (used) rig before I SK.  Mainly because I like to DX and don't want to tune up and twiddle a bunch of knobs to get on freq.  A quick look at my QRZ page will show where my heart lies though.  A lot of these new rigs have proprietary Ic's and if they take a deuce, you're done for.  And in the for what is worth dept., I agree.... and SB series over HW series and for my $$ the king of tube xcvrs.....the TR4Cw/Rit
K9AXN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »

I was also on the NCX-1000 design team...officially

Carl

Carl, I found the NCX-1000 design review notes that I was looking for.  The National folks may not have copied you.  

Regards Jim  
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 05:32:08 AM »

You got money for yours ?   I gave mine away !
You were in too big of a rush.   Wash, Wax, and pretty pics, it won't take long for offers to start rollin in. Grin

I gave mine to a friend . Never tried to make money . It was very clean indeed !

Washed and waxed quite a few radios over the years . Wink     https://microphoneprojects.shutterfly.com/pictures/5
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:46:26 AM by KG8LB » Logged
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »

I have a Yaesu FT-1000 on loan for MARS and SHARES work, but my favorites are my Swan 270 and FT-101. I normally use those for rag chews and general use.

JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT-1000 on loan for MARS and SHARES work, but my favorites are my Swan 270 and FT-101. I normally use those for rag chews and general use.

My FT-101ZD is a great rig for it;s generation and age, but when propagation is poor like the past week I'd welcome a receiver that could do a better job of pulling stations out of the noise.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »

Add a good FET preamp that can be switched out with the PTT or foot switch. Just enough gain to mask the internal noise.
What does it use for the RX RF stage and first mixer?

Carl
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 10:59:42 PM »

Add a good FET preamp that can be switched out with the PTT or foot switch. Just enough gain to mask the internal noise.
What does it use for the RX RF stage and first mixer?

Carl

3SK51-03 RF, 2x 2SK19GR in balanced mixer.

But I don't think internal noise is my limiting factor. I'm in a noisy location except for 15M. I think I need more effective IF filtering. The FT101Z uses two xtal filters, one of which has a movable passband. The spec says it can vary from 2.4kHz down to 300 kHz, but it doesn't really grab a weak SSB signal like I have heard more modern rigs do. For CW I use an external audio filter that helps a lot (the original 300 and 600 Hz IF CW filters are pretty much impossible to find in good working condx.)

Steve
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: