The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foreign Broadcast on 10 meters  (Read 8685 times)
KJ4I

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

Over the past year, maybe even longer I have been hearing a station broadcasting music and what sounds like a commentary on 28.385 AM. I am assuming it's coming from somewhere in South America as I get the strongest signal when pointing the tri-bander to the south. I'm currently listening to it as I type this post at 16:15 zulu with a barely audible signal. I'm not sure if they are speaking Spanish or Portuguese. It almost sounds like a talk radio show as it generally has music or periods of music mixed with someone talking as of they are giving out news or a commentary. I guess it could be a pirate station as well. I was just curious if anyone else has notice it before? Browsed around on a few shortwave forums lately and never really came up with anything. The curiosity lingers.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »

Maybe the 3rd harmonic of 9460, a valid BC freq? 
Let's hope 10 meters doesn't attract pirate stations.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »

According to short-wave.info, there's nothing on 9460 at 1615Z.  It's mostly used by China Radio Int'l, plus a few other Asian broadcasters, plus a couple of BBC relays in Africa.  No South American stations on 9455 or 9465 either.

28385 is also the 6th harmonic of 4730 kHz.  There's a station in Bolivia on 4732, but it's not shown as being on the air at that time.

Pirate, or a harmonic thereof?

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »

Let's hope 10 meters doesn't attract pirate stations.
Apart from the truckers and bootleggers who already invade it?
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 08:08:25 AM »

Possible that it could be a harmonic. I haven't heard it often enough to really have a chance to investigate it in more detail. That will probably be the next thing I do. Interesting to say the least.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

Possible that it could be a harmonic. I haven't heard it often enough to really have a chance to investigate it in more detail. That will probably be the next thing I do. Interesting to say the least.

Possibly a Spanish-speaking FM station? Could it be a harmonic of an FM stn, anybody care to whip out a calculator? I know that my Icom gets swamped with FM harmonics when FM mode is on (IC-735).
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »

Possibly a Spanish-speaking FM station? Could it be a harmonic of an FM stn, anybody care to whip out a calculator? I know that my Icom gets swamped with FM harmonics when FM mode is on (IC-735).

Probably overload, not harmonics (which would be in the upper-VHF and UHF range).  I have the same problem with my Grudig Satellit 750, even though I'm 30 miles away from the South Mountain tower farm in Phoenix.  I find an FM trap is mandatory.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »

Over the past year, maybe even longer I have been hearing a station broadcasting music ... on 28.385 AM. ... it's coming from somewhere in South America . It almost sounds like a talk radio show as it generally has music or periods of music mixed with someone talking ...

I also hear it just about anytime 10 meters is open to SA.

Seems to be some kind of religious format with a LOT of slow piano music.

FWIW,..... I am only about 80 miles North of you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: