The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80-10 OCF: Buxcomm vs. Buckmaster  (Read 5904 times)
KQ2Z

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »

I'm planning on getting an 80-10 OCF as a first antenna.  Due to time limitations I'm going to buy one, not build one.  To that end, the two commercial models that seem to have good reviews are the Buxcomm and the Buckmaster.  Anyone have direct experience with both and can compare them?  Is there another manufacturer I should consider over them?

I'd really like to focus this conversation on this style of antenna, and on buying, not building.  It fits the geometry of my property better than a convention dipole and I want to buy so that I can get on the air _now_, not 6 months from now when I'm done building the thing.
KI8DJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:49:10 PM »

I have been using a 40 through10 buxcom for about 6years with no issues, way cheaper than bushmaster.
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:48 PM »

I have an OCF 80 from Hy Power. http://www.hypowerantenna.com/products/off-center-fed-antenna

Mine has been up for 5 years.  It is supported by two trees with no support for the balun. It survived Hurricane Sandy with steady winds of 60mph and 90mph gusts for over two hours.

Uses Guanella Current balun. No RFI issues.

Check my QRZ page. Has a map of my contacts made with this antenna.

Good luck.

Dave
NB3R

Dave
NB3R
N4JAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »

My first OCF was the 300 watt version of the Buckmaster. It worked very well, and is built very tough. It's not supposed to be used on 15 meters, and showed high SWR, but the internal tuner on my Yaesu FTDX 1200 tuned it up and I easily worked Japan and Australia. It was installed pointing east and west, with the long end pointed west, and Asia was off to the west. So, it demonstrated that at higher frequencies, end fire worked well in certain directions. Broadside, it worked better on 20 meters down to 75 meters. That's the nature of using a long wire on higher frequencies. Lots of great lobes, but also plenty of nulls. Read and check up radiation patterns for these type of antennas, it will help you decide what directions you want to work and how to install the OCF.
After getting an amp, I needed an antenna that could take more power. So I tried the Hy Power antenna 10-80m OCF, at half the price. It also performs very well for an all bander and is tough as nails. It uses a current balun, instead of a voltage balun like the Buckmaster. The Hy Power Antenna  OCF seems to perform better installed as a flat top dipole, where I had better luck with the Buckmaster as an inverted V.
So, for an all band antenna, the OCF design works much better than a G5RV. Both brands I tried work well, and I think the Hy Power is a better value while the Buckmaster is over priced. Either way you'll be happy. With an OCF, install at least 35-40 feet at the apex for good performance  on 20 meters and higher.  If 40 and 75/80 are important to you, install 50 feet high or more to get good performance with DX.
Best,
John, N4JAP
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »

You might try a new company of OCF dipole that came on the market this year, its built and sold by MyAntenna company, its pre built and covers 80-10 meters including the warc bands plus 15 which neither company you are looking at have coverage on. I believe the antenna sells for $149 and that may be shipped as well, the designer used to be one of the antenna engineers who worked for Cush Craft before MFJ bought then and designed the X7/X9 triband beams plus a few of there newer mono band XM series beams, you might want to check it out.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »

I have/use the OCF 80-10/300 watt Buckmaster, works great at about 27-feet high & in a horizontal position. 

Use power below 50-watt--digital modes (no SSB for me) with my ic-7200.

Ken KC8Y

W1REN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:57:27 AM »

I use the Buckmaster 300 watt 10-80 OCF dipole. Oriented as a flat-top east/west (meaning the ends are at north/south) at the recommended 35 feet. Has endured everything that New Hampshire weather can conjure up, from hurricanes to months of brutal winter. I lower it each fall for it's annual check up and have only ever had to freshen up coax seal tape. Antenna itself is always in very good shape.
My best ham bud has pretty much same set up and has same kind of result. He is a CW master and has logged literally thousands of CW contacts in every part of the globe.
I cannot speak at all for the Buxcomm except for it's more affordable price.
The Buckmaster is overpriced, but like you, I've no interest in building my own. I simply wanted the best built dipole I could buy.

P.S. - I also once owned a similar OCF made by Maple Leaf studios. It was not nearly as expensive as the Buckmaster and it performed well, but was wiped out by a large pine branch that became heavily laden with snow during one particularly nasty storm and came crashing down on it. I actually saw it happen and wow, what a spectacular event that was!

Hope this helps...

Ren
(W1REN)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 06:30:29 AM »

I'm planning on getting an 80-10 OCF as a first antenna.  Due to time limitations I'm going to buy one, not build one. 
I see you may have already decided on one antenna, but you might look at NI4L's OCF dipole...  We used it on field day, and it worked very well, I have a review of it at:
http://nk7z.net/ocf-dipole/

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »

I put up a Buxcomm 10-80 OCF in the spring of 2010. It has worked very well with my 100w Icom. Tunes fast and easily for the internal antenna tuner. Built of good materials and craftsmanship. Good price was a bonus.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: