The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have the Tarheel MT-12 mount?  (Read 6728 times)
KQ2Z

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »

Tarheel has the following to say about the MT-12:

The MT 12 is a 2" Receiver Hitch Mount with a 3' extension to come out from the side of the vehicle. The MT 1 antenna bracket fits on the pipe for easy installation. This mount is also 304 stainless steel.

But in the pictures it just looks like a 3' long square stock pipe with a post, suitable to make the Antenna sit 3' behind the car, but not on the side.  Anyone have a picture of this mount in use?

Thanks,
Juliean
KD2JPF
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

Haven't seen any "actual user" replies so here's a suggestion: Email Robert Young at the Tarheel Tech address (bottom of their webpage). He's the guru or Tarheel...he IS Tarheel. He is very good about answering questions about their products. Sorry I can't be of more help.
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »

This is one of the install pictures from Tarheel's website.  I assume this is the MT-12:

K9PHT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:59:05 AM »

They certainly don't give those away haha...

Roy Ken
K9PHT - King George VA
KQ2Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »

This is one of the install pictures from Tarheel's website.  I assume this is the MT-12:

Thanks!  That's what I wanted to see.

I wonder how well that works, looks like an awful lot of torque on the trailer hitch....
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »

Thanks!  That's what I wanted to see.

I wonder how well that works, looks like an awful lot of torque on the trailer hitch....

The receiver hitch on a pick-up is pretty darn strong, as I pull as travel trailer with a equalizing hitch on mine, and that thing really puts some torque on the receiver.  I bet the MT-12 would not over stress the receiver.

- Dan
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »

No way that is going to stress the receiver. If you are pulling a 5000lb load behind you and you hit bumps at highway speeds, the oscillation of the trailer bouncing up and down, back and forth etc, is putting in excess of 1000 lbs of pressure on the square tube.

I drive a diesel truck and have pulled trees freshly cut down on that receiver back there and I am pulling at least 30,000 lbs when pulling huge logs across the ground.
KQ2Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 06:04:28 AM »

To be fair, I don't drive a pickup.  My SUV has a much more modest towing capacity (3000lb, iirc).  But the point is well made.  I was not thinking of torque loads imposed by the trailer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: