The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS dropping support for IE 8,9 & 10  (Read 11640 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »

Tomorrow Jan 12 2016 will be last time MS provides a security patch/update for IE 8, 9 and 10. After tomorrow only IE 11 and Edge will be supported. I do not see this as a big problem as many do not use IE anyway but if you do be advised.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:12 AM »

It's amazing to me that at one time MS owned the internet browsing market and now they are way down in the pack.  I loved IE8, it is IMO one of the best browser ever made, but now everyone heads to Chrome which is like handing google even more of your personal info.  So that really leaves Firefox with it's bugs and problems it's still IMHO the best choice out there.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »

Internet Explorer was so riddled with potential exploits that the version they put on Server 2012 was crippled by MS to the point where you had to explicitly allow ANY web site before it would take you to that URL. The first thing I do when installing Server 2012 is get Mozilla Firefox and Chrome using IE. It takes me 5 minutes of clicking the "yes, I really do want to go there and yes, I really do understand the risks".

When it gets to that point, boys and girls, just quit. And Nadella, finally someone with a clue at MS, did just that.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »

Craig, nope!  Nadella does not have a clue! He just renamed IE to Edge and so the madness will continue with a new name.  BTW they could not even bother to change the Icon for "Edge" it's still the old IE Icon. Tongue

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »

Craig, nope!  Nadella does not have a clue! He just renamed IE to Edge and so the madness will continue with a new name.  BTW they could not even bother to change the Icon for "Edge" it's still the old IE Icon. Tongue

73s
Rob

Oh no! I haven't seen Edge yet. I just assumed that they fixed the browser issue. Yikes.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »

73s
Rob

Oh no! I haven't seen Edge yet. I just assumed that they fixed the browser issue. Yikes.

Edge is a all new engine and design. No IE plugins work with it and some sites that worked well with IE 11 will not work with Edge. It has some maturing to go through.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »

73s
Rob

Not true. Edge might use similar icon and branding as i.e. But it is a new browser. I have used it some, and it works well on most sites but not on some others, and that doesn't parallel i.e.

I use Safari on my Mac And Chrome on my desktop.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:18:06 AM »

I did not say it was the same I just said they could not even bother to change the Icon.
I suspect that under the hood it's mostly a GUI change contrary to whatever MS says.
Sure plugins from the old IE will not work, but I would bet that's just an intenial move by MS. Time will tell if it has the same issues.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:07:24 AM »

Sure plugins from the old IE will not work, but I would bet that's just an intenial move by MS. Time will tell if it has the same issues.

Only thing intentional about it is that it is a new engine and new concept and it takes time to fine tune it and add extensions. It does have built in Flash and PDF support. It was also designed with Cortana integration. It will take time for it to mature.

N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »

All the more reason to migrate to linux. And it's free!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »

If decent software was available for Linux I would consumer using it.  Until then I will stick with OSX and or Windows.  I want to choose the applications I use,  not be forced to use substandard apps just to use a specific OS. 

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »

If decent software was available for Linux I would consumer using it.  Until then I will stick with OSX and or Windows.  I want to choose the applications I use,  not be forced to use substandard apps just to use a specific OS. 

Which Linux applications are "inferior" -- not just a bit different, truly inferior to the equivalent Windows program?  Outside of the stuff made by Microsoft itself, and highly specialized stuff like AutoCAD, most of the major software packages are available for both, as well as OS X in many cases.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »

Which Linux applications are "inferior" -- not just a bit different, truly inferior to the equivalent Windows program?  Outside of the stuff made by Microsoft itself, and highly specialized stuff like AutoCAD, most of the major software packages are available for both, as well as OS X in many cases.

I use Quicken. Can't find anything comparable to the Win version. the OS X version is crippled in comparison and not available on Linux. iTunes not available for Linux either. I suppose I could switch to something from iTunes but not willing to give up Quicken.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »

I use Quicken. Can't find anything comparable to the Win version. the OS X version is crippled in comparison and not available on Linux. iTunes not available for Linux either. I suppose I could switch to something from iTunes but not willing to give up Quicken.

Quicken is one of those where you're pretty much stuck with Windows.  There used to be a Linux program called GNUCash, but I don't know if it's still around. 

iTunes (actually, iAnything) just drives me to drink.  I just don't use any software from Apple, even on my Mac.  All software I run must be file-compatible with Windows 10, Linux, Android, and OS X, as I have all four.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »

Quicken is one of those where you're pretty much stuck with Windows.  There used to be a Linux program called GNUCash, but I don't know if it's still around. 

iTunes (actually, iAnything) just drives me to drink.  I just don't use any software from Apple, even on my Mac.  All software I run must be file-compatible with Windows 10, Linux, Android, and OS X, as I have all four.

I like the newer version of iTunes less and less as they come out. Don't use it much but my library of mp3's is currently in itunes along with the music I bought from Apple. I run windows Quicken on a VM on my Mac.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: