The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS dropping support for IE 8,9 & 10  (Read 11669 times)
N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »

If decent software was available for Linux I would consumer using it.  Until then I will stick with OSX and or Windows.  I want to choose the applications I use,  not be forced to use substandard apps just to use a specific OS. 

Substandard apps? There are many great apps for LInux and ham radio. Obviously your knowledge of Linux and what's available is very limited.
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 03:33:58 AM »

That is the Linux weak point - sub-par software. I use HRD under Windows for rig control. There is NOTHING in Linux even close. If you are only browsing the web, emailing, Facebook, Twitter, and use Office (available free as LibreOffice), then you are in good shape with Linux. Fact is, you are far better off using Linux than and Windows.

Want to do TurboTax? You won't on Linux. There are, however, good replacements for Quicken available or you can build your own (it is not rocket science). The only replacements for Windows Paint are odd in behavior, use only strange file types, and/or require five or six key strokes to do what the Windows program does in one or two.

So far as installing and using: Linux Mint is excellent. A great GUI and an informative forum that does not condemn when asked beginner questions. In a word, it is "bullet proof!"

Whomever said there is a ton of ham radio related software available:  Show me the beef! All I have seen lacks luster and ease of use.

Now is the time for Linux to shine! We need better software for many applications - not just ham radio.

Out of interest, go to one of those places called think tanks and you will notice Linux (in various forms) is the predominate OS in use. Just saying.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:07 AM »

If decent software was available for Linux I would consumer using it.  Until then I will stick with OSX and or Windows.  I want to choose the applications I use,  not be forced to use substandard apps just to use a specific OS. 

Substandard apps? There are many great apps for LInux and ham radio. Obviously your knowledge of Linux and what's available is very limited.

You are in denial... For every one Linux app there is maybe 15 or 20 Win apps...  You have to learn to accept lower selection and standards is software when you go with Linux. Software developers write for platform that has highest possible return and that is not Linux.  Is Linux stable and reliable? Yes. Is it widely supported with a big software selection? No... I do not see Linux ever reaching critical mass in home users. It is a niche software here at best.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:50 AM »

That is the Linux weak point - sub-par software. I use HRD under Windows for rig control. There is NOTHING in Linux even close. If you are only browsing the web, emailing, Facebook, Twitter, and use Office (available free as LibreOffice), then you are in good shape with Linux. Fact is, you are far better off using Linux than and Windows.
Want to do TurboTax? You won't on Linux.
Which is why I used TurboTax for 7 of the past 8 years, under OpenSUSE.
There are, however, good replacements for Quicken available or you can build your own (it is not rocket science). The only replacements for Windows Paint are odd in behavior, use only strange file types, and/or require five or six key strokes to do what the Windows program does in one or two.
There probably isn't a key for key replacement for MS Paint, but I did find this page:
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/11/8-linux-microsoft-paint-alternatives.html

I installed mtPaint an took a look at the save as filetypes:  BMP, GIF, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF, XPM
So far as installing and using: Linux Mint is excellent. A great GUI and an informative forum that does not condemn when asked beginner questions. In a word, it is "bullet proof!"
Whomever said there is a ton of ham radio related software available:  Show me the beef! All I have seen lacks luster and ease of use.
Chirp, CQRLog, Direwolf, SoundModem, FLdigi, GPredict, HamFax, QSSTV, QTEL, TrustedQSL, YAAC are installed on my OpenSuse machine. The list of amateur radio software in the repositories is much longer,
Now is the time for Linux to shine! We need better software for many applications - not just ham radio.
Out of interest, go to one of those places called think tanks and you will notice Linux (in various forms) is the predominate OS in use. Just saying.
In another post, I believe in this forum, I posted a very partial list of Linux users across the world.

Rick KK4GGL
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 05:32:13 AM »

I'm surprised MS hasn't dropped support for MS...  Undecided
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:06 AM »

While there are a lot apps available, there are not what I need. For sample, quicken. While there are some financial apps on Linux, there are none that do what the Windows version of quicken does. Not even the Mac version is up to par with the Windows version. Why should I settle for lower functionalit in my applications just to say that I use Linux. If all I did was browse the web and email, it would make sense, but that's not all I do. Libre Office is nice but that isn't all I need.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 05:36:13 AM »

You are in denial... For every one Linux app there is maybe 15 or 20 Win apps... 
So what? As long as I have access to applications that meet my needs that's all that matters.
You have to learn to accept lower selection and standards is software when you go with Linux.
You might have to. I don't.
Software developers write for platform that has highest possible return and that is not Linux.  Is Linux stable and reliable? Yes. Is it widely supported with a big software selection? No... I do not see Linux ever reaching critical mass in home users. It is a niche software here at best.
First define the niche. Name it. Describe it.
Next, the reason Linux based systems have such a low home userbase is do to the network effects of Microsoft's illegally maintained monopoly power.  It is the same reason Apple's OS X base is so low. The only reason it is as high as it is is because of the halo effects of the ipod and iTunes (first) then the iPad and iPhone. Linux based systems have a very high market share on phones.
Linux based systems are used all over the world by governments, companies and people.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 05:44:45 AM »

Its a free country, if you want to cut your nose off to spite your face and run a limited OS with limited support and apps you can do so but to tell or suggest to others that there is good support for it is simply foolish and only ones thinking otherwise are those that are in that boat and want company. If you want great apps selections and support its Windows hands down, If you want to limit selection and use a software that is basically 5 years behind in modern feature support go with Linux if you are stuck in a time warp.
You are in denial... For every one Linux app there is maybe 15 or 20 Win apps... 
So what? As long as I have access to applications that meet my needs that's all that matters.
You have to learn to accept lower selection and standards is software when you go with Linux.
Software developers write for platform that has highest possible return and that is not Linux.  Is Linux stable and reliable? Yes. Is it widely supported with a big software selection? No... I do not see Linux ever reaching critical mass in home users. It is a niche software here at best.
Next, the reason Linux based systems have such a low home userbase is do to the network effects of Microsoft's illegally maintained monopoly power.  It is the same reason Apple's OS X base is so low. The only reason it is as high as it is is because of the halo effects of the ipod and iTunes (first) then the iPad and iPhone. Linux based systems have a very high market share on phones.
Linux based systems are used all over the world by governments, companies and people.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 05:47:20 AM »

While there are a lot apps available, there are not what I need. For sample, quicken. While there are some financial apps on Linux, there are none that do what the Windows version of quicken does. Not even the Mac version is up to par with the Windows version. Why should I settle for lower functionalit in my applications just to say that I use Linux. If all I did was browse the web and email, it would make sense, but that's not all I do. Libre Office is nice but that isn't all I need.
OK, so applications you want/need only run under Windows. Fine. That doesn't mean the same is true of everyone else. GNU/Linux systems are used all over the world by governments, companies and people.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 06:11:32 AM »

OK, so applications you want/need only run under Windows. Fine. That doesn't mean the same is true of everyone else. GNU/Linux systems are used all over the world by governments, companies and people.

Linux is used by agencies that run very few apps and they pay developers big bucks to write those apps for it. I know as recently as several years ago Walmart was still using a OS2 type OS to run its inventory control. Again special custom apps for special applications and NOT main stream duh.     Wake up GGL Linux is a niche OS on desktop at best....

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:19 AM »

Its a free country, if you want to cut your nose off to spite your face and run a limited OS with limited support and apps you can do so but to tell or suggest to others that there is good support for it is simply foolish and only ones thinking otherwise are those that are in that boat and want company. If you want great apps selections and support its Windows hands down, If you want to limit selection and use a software that is basically 5 years behind in modern feature support go with Linux if you are stuck in a time warp.
5 years behind..aha hha haha ha ahahaha aha ahha haa hah ahhhah aha ..
Go here to see a partial list of who is using GNU LInux based systems:
http://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect
Then tell the US Navy it is running 5 year old systems.

I see you didn't answer the above. Well?? Define the niche. Name it. Describe it.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:45 AM »

Linux is used by agencies that run very few apps and they pay developers big bucks to write those apps for it. I know as recently as several years ago Walmart was still using a OS2 type OS to run its inventory control. Again special custom apps for special applications and NOT main stream duh.     Wake up GGL Linux is a niche OS on desktop at best....
Are you willfully ignorant or a liar?
Again, here is a partial list of Linux users:
http://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect
Get a clue. Buy one if you have to.

Rick KK4GGL
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »

No... I do not see Linux ever reaching critical mass in home users. It is a niche software here at best.

So Android is a niche?  It may not be a true "politically-correct" GNU-approved version of Linux, but it uses the Linux kernel and many of the utilities.  Desktop versions are in the works, although I don't know if I'd use one.

Other "niches" include set-top boxes for your TV (including my DirecTV receiver and Roku box), home and coin-operated video games, the United States government, especially our military, about 1/2 of the Internet, office phone systems.  Only non-Apple desktop and laptop PCs sold in the US & Canada are almost totally Windows-centric.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »

So if you read my responses, I never said that Linux would not work for anyone. I like Linux, I would like to use it but just can't. I just said it doesn't work for me due to applications not being there that I need.  If it works for you, great!

Those that list all the companies that use Linux . . those lists don't matter . . . Linux on the desktop that ham radio operators and others would use, and Linux on corporate servers are two different animals really.

Microsoft uses Linux . . . You can google it for more info.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: