The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Engineering 572b tubes  (Read 35634 times)
AB8S

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »

Has anyone here had  any  experience   with the 572b tubes offered by   DX Engineering ?
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »

Has anyone here had  any  experience   with the 572b tubes offered by   DX Engineering ?

Apparently they just got them in.  I have been a while to evaluate them..  Dxe is sending some out to me soon.  I'll let you know going forward. and
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »

Maybe the 572 shortage is coming to a end...

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

I emailed with Tim and asked him if these tubes they are selling are the same as the "new and improved" style being sold by RF Parts.  The answer was to try out the ones he is sending for evaluation. 
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »

Sounds like a non-answer. I did get 4 of the new tubes from RFP a few months ago. One went to atmosphere - lost vacuum - in short order. They did replace it but it cost me $ 26.00 in shipping. So far these are working fine now....solid 1200 watts output from an AL572 amp. They have ceramic bases and gold pins....that should be good for 5 band DXCC in itself.    Of course ALL of these tubes are made in China now....   maybe some to better specs.     73, Jim
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »

We can expect the Chinese to eventually learn a hard lesson from what the Japanese learned a couple decades ago.  The term, "Japanese Junk" has now been replaced with "Chinese Junk." 

So, I'm betting they will eventually start turning out transmitting tubes with good specs.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »

They did replace it but it cost me $ 26.00 in shipping

Stunts like that is one of the reasons I wont buy from DXE. Another is they should have their own in house testing at RF.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »

They did replace it but it cost me $ 26.00 in shipping

Stunts like that is one of the reasons I wont buy from DXE. Another is they should have their own in house testing at RF.

He said he  got them from RF  parts.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:22:02 AM »

We can expect the Chinese to eventually learn a hard lesson from what the Japanese learned a couple decades ago.  The term, "Japanese Junk" has now been replaced with "Chinese Junk." 

So, I'm betting they will eventually start turning out transmitting tubes with good specs.

I think part of the problem is what importers of those tubes are willing to pay for them. Typically things are made in china for low contract cost and maximum resale profit. When imports are willing to pay more for tubes perhaps China will improve QA.

VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:11 AM »

Still shouldn't have had to pay shipping to replace defective parts.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:57 AM »

Still shouldn't have had to pay shipping to replace defective parts.

Not that high anyway.

KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »

These tubes were tested by RFP. They had conduction values printed by hand to show they had been matched. The defective tube worked for almost one week before losing vacuum so I don't really blame RFP.     I paid the return shipping after speaking with an engineer at RFP. They pressed me on what amp I was using it in and when I said it was an Ameritron AL572, they said it was probably damage to the top plate cap because of the tight ceramic plate connector. I insisted it was not and that the seal by the pins most likely let go. That is when they agreed to take the defective tube back, examine it and provide me with a replacement. The new tube came with a slip of paper showing how to reduce the spring pressure on a ceramic plate connector. Interesting. They must be experiencing this.
Anyway, the new tubes are all working fine for now.      73, Jim
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »

I would wager a stale donut with only one bite out of it... that those tight plate connectors came from China themselves.  there are two levels of QC out of there, it seems... high-premium (Apple) and dock sweepings.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »

I bought 4 572's from RFP 5 years ago.  I don't know which factory they came from but they were still delivering full power when I sold the amp last fall.
Art
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »

Why would anyone buy RFP tubes from DXE?  Now you have two layers of excuses to go thru when they fail.
The DXE game is to gobble up competition and be the only game in town and they have the money from Summit Racing backing them up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: