The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [BUYER BEWARE] QRZ Being Hit By Scammers & Hackers  (Read 15872 times)
KB0OXD

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »

Seems as though some scammers & hackers (Hopefully NONE of them Hams) are picking on QRZ users  Angry

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/stolen-radios-scams-and-rip-offs.85/

HEADS UP PEEPS !!!

Cheers & 73 Wink

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
WD6EEV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »

I had three "different" people contact me on my WTB ad. I always ask for their phone number so I can call them directly and discuss the deal. That usually results in some lame excuse on their part. Then I ask for their Paypal info. That is when they ask for the funds to be send to "friends and family". I use a Google email address, so I then report them as Phishing.
 Neal
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »

QRZ is so full of scammers, mostly Nigerians, that it's pretty much useless. That, and the fact that they NEVER delete old ads. I get people asking about the Kenwood mic I sold TWO YEARS AGO! And then there's the Nigerian phishers, as soon as I posted FS ads on QRZ I got hit with fake buyers, then the typical Nigerian phishing scams started, you know where Prince Robert Mlongdong of Burkina Faso needs to use your bank account to briefly hold a hundred million dollars, or the one where some rich widow wants to give you $50 million because she has no heirs, and so on. It continued for the better part of a year. And then they sold my email address to the Russian Mob, so I get spammed with "personal ads" that all use pretty much the same wording and try to get you to register with your credit card to view nude pix. I dunno why the Russian scammers are so clueless, even using ".ru" url's, maybe there's a Mob outlet in Vladivostok. Anyway, QRZ and eham swaps are useless, I occasionally get good results from qth.com.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »

The eham WTBs are not as bad YET but still the bas*#$@$ are here too.

One big tip off is the "paypal to my granny's, sister's, wife's etc, etc. paypal account".
I don't (and never will) use paypal but I am lead to believe that doing this leaves you with no recourse thru paypal. 
WD6EEV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:11:44 AM »

These guys just don't give up.
Just got another one from someone pretending to be AA7V.
Besides reporting this as Phishing to Google I'm sending the info to the FBI Cybercrimes Division.
Maybe if they get enough of these they will take some action.
Neal
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »

Neal,  how does one report such email Phishing scams to Google?  I just took a look and all their report outlines seemed to deal with web sites or those illegally trying to represent Google.  If you can provide a link to reporting Google email users who are illegally conducting these Phishing efforts, I'd like to start reporting such, too.

W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

Not just QRZ.  I had an item posted on Ebay and a fraudster from Czech republic (User Name jivava1)  at the last minute "wins" the auction.  What's the deal?  I had it clearly stated, NO INTERNATIONAL SALES, NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.  So, the potential sale is now gone, the other bidders gone, re-list it?  Doubtful.  WIll just keep it as Ebay does nothing to block these scammers, and you can't get ahold of them to get any satisfaction.  Their "customer service" is a joke out of hell.  Their reps I have spoken to, hardly speak your language so obviously, outsourced overseas.  I decided to shove it.  Will keep my item.  Not worth the hassle, pain, frustration.  I didn't need the money only wanted to make a little space.  Well, it will stay in my home.  I don't like Fleabay much anyway, as you have fraud, part swappers, dead beats there just like any forum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:32:53 PM by NA9R » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 05:54:25 AM »

NA9R: I'm sorry for your situation on this eBay deal. I do some selling there and you can block international sales so they can't even bid on them. Just carefully scrutinize the Seller's screens when you build your ad. I've only had ONE deal where I got the shaft and that was as a buyer, not seller. (Thus far, I have 100% ratings.) I saw an ad from China listing a Heil Pr30 mic as an "authorized Heil dealer". I won the auction for $65 plus $30 shipping for a total of $95 for a new Heil PR30. Never got the item, seller would not send tracking info, and I had to wait six weeks for "due diligence" on the overseas shipping. In the meantime, I see that this seller was suspended and then no longer on eBay. Oh Know! But eBay refunded me in full within an hour using their online complaint system (no telephone calls). So I was inconvenienced but fully covered financially. It's completely your option to just bail on eBay and any other vendor. But I wanted readers to know that eBay itself, at least from my experience, does stand behind it's customers following their buying/selling rules.

Frank
K4FMH

Not just QRZ.  I had an item posted on Ebay and a fraudster from Czech republic (User Name jivava1)  at the last minute "wins" the auction.  What's the deal?  I had it clearly stated, NO INTERNATIONAL SALES, NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.  So, the potential sale is now gone, the other bidders gone, re-list it?  Doubtful.  WIll just keep it as Ebay does nothing to block these scammers, and you can't get ahold of them to get any satisfaction.  Their "customer service" is a joke out of hell.  Their reps I have spoken to, hardly speak your language so obviously, outsourced overseas.  I decided to shove it.  Will keep my item.  Not worth the hassle, pain, frustration.  I didn't need the money only wanted to make a little space.  Well, it will stay in my home.  I don't like Fleabay much anyway, as you have fraud, part swappers, dead beats there just like any forum.
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »

Yeah, I get the shaft too.  I re-listed on the advise of Ebay and now the stooge has a payment in PP.  If I refund it, I have to pay like $16 out of my pocket.  Not doing that.  It can sit there till hell freezes over.  He never responded to any emails from Ebay, and I would be nervous about a payment in PP and then ship it and end up with nothing and he bails.  So his "payment" can sit there a long while.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »

It would seem to me that if you let his payment sit in your PayPal account and never ship the item to him, that he will eventually ask PayPal for a refund due to not receiving the item.  Won't that have a negative impact on your standing with EBay and PayPal?

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:41:28 AM »

It would seem to me that if you let his payment sit in your PayPal account and never ship the item to him, that he will eventually ask PayPal for a refund due to not receiving the item.  Won't that have a negative impact on your standing with EBay and PayPal?

I agree.  I would contact PayPal and ask them to negate the transaction as it was unsolicited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: