The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language codes reference?  (Read 6546 times)
JAYMOT

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:59:55 AM »

It seems that the SWL hobby uses non-standard two-letter abbreviations for languages as opposed to the ISO-639-1 standard: "EE" for English vs. "EN", FF for French vs. "FR", etc. Is there an online reference that lists the SWL language codes only, without including all of the other codes, terms and lingo that we use? (I used to know most of them but I've forgotten. The language codes, I mean.)
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »

Why continue to use a non-standard and very outdated and incomplete alpha-2 language code that is used by an extremely small group of people?

By the way, ISO-639-1 codes are written in lower-case letters, thus en, not EN.

For regional dialects, they can be associated with the ISO alpha-2 country codes, thus en-us (U.S. English) and en-uk (British English).

Now would be a good time for you to get on the band wagon and encourage your fellow SWLers to do likewise.

RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:39 PM »

I just name the language. It's very easy and simple.

Any abbreviation I use for a language is for my logbook alone.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »

It seems that the SWL hobby uses non-standard two-letter abbreviations for languages as opposed to the ISO-639-1 standard: "EE" for English vs. "EN", FF for French vs. "FR", etc. Is there an online reference that lists the SWL language codes only, without including all of the other codes, terms and lingo that we use? (I used to know most of them but I've forgotten. The language codes, I mean.)

I don't know when they got started, but using "EE" for English, "FF" for French, etc. goes back to at least the mid '60s, when Popular Electronics had its shortwave section and WPE callsign program.  Those abbreviations never made much sense to me, but they were pretty standard in that era.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: