The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day and freeloaders  (Read 76702 times)
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 06:11:59 AM »

WOW What an education. I dont belong to the local clubs. I am tied up on their meeting nigt with other commitments and so didn't think it fair to join if I couldn't attend. And I dont own a taxi radio so don't use the repeater. Don't do well in clubs anyway. ("do not play well with others") However I have over the years made a point when at all possible of dropping by the local field days even the winter one for a few minute at least just to encourage them and show support. Fair or rotten weather too. Even helped them set up one day when they were short handed for a vertical antenna raising. never felt real welcome. Thoought perhaps I had BO or something but have done it for 20 years or so. Never took any food or interupted them when eating but I didn't know I wasn't welcome. I thought Field Day was about promoting ham radio. Stupid me. Boy I won't make that mistake again!
donVE3LYX
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »

I thought Field Day was about promoting ham radio.
donVE3LYX

Actually it is. Just some people hate to see others possibly getting something for nothing. And that is one of the big problems in HR today. Makes me wonder sometimes how people can meet up on the air and have fun anymore. Camaraderie has become mostly a thing of the past.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »

Someone (China?) should make cheap tiny Ham receivers to give out to prospective Hams instead of food!  Bet that would bring a lot more people into the hobby!!
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »

WOW What an education. I dont belong to the local clubs. I am tied up on their meeting nigt with other commitments and so didn't think it fair to join if I couldn't attend. And I dont own a taxi radio so don't use the repeater. Don't do well in clubs anyway. ("do not play well with others") However I have over the years made a point when at all possible of dropping by the local field days even the winter one for a few minute at least just to encourage them and show support. Fair or rotten weather too. Even helped them set up one day when they were short handed for a vertical antenna raising. never felt real welcome. Thoought perhaps I had BO or something but have done it for 20 years or so. Never took any food or interupted them when eating but I didn't know I wasn't welcome. I thought Field Day was about promoting ham radio. Stupid me. Boy I won't make that mistake again!
donVE3LYX
Maybe you were welcome but toy weren't "playing well'? I'm sure they appreciated the help, but did you make an attempt to talk to them much?
Our club doesn't worry about the food that much but we do have a donation jar out for visitors who partake of the food. Eat the food , stick a five in the jar. Simple. I participate in all aspects of FD and I still put money in the jar.

K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:04:12 AM »

Just a technicality, but legally, if you require a donation.... it's not a donation. And that distinction could make a difference in the tax-free status of your club.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »

My answer is to relax, be gracious and feed all who come, whether they contributed to field day and the meal or not.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »

An organizer for a social event needs to take into account that his efforts might be under appreciated. He organizes it because he feels good about it. The event is successful if many people show up, not successful otherwise. I nearly every social event I participated, there was excess food and freeloaders actually were welcome. It is sad when people bring much and need to take most of it home.

A donation box is an excellent idea.

Ignacy, NO9E
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:11 AM »

Just a small point here...a donation jar is not a requirement. It's just a suggestion. Non-profits with 501c3 status with the IRS can, and often, do charge for "stuff" they do. It need not affect that tax-exempt status at all. Cost-recovery is a legitimate part of services rendered...depends somewhat on the narrative submitted in the tax-exempt request. Often, ham clubs are "educational" in nature and food expenses for meals can be legitimately construed as part of the educational outreach.

I hope this clarifies some of the nuances of this discussion.

Frank
K4FMH

Just a technicality, but legally, if you require a donation.... it's not a donation. And that distinction could make a difference in the tax-free status of your club.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »

It could be an issue, but Hams seem to be quite generous for the most part. In Los Angeles, a Ham actually donated a motor home to 2 Ham brothers who were unemployed and homeless!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:25:25 AM by ONAIR » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 09:02:57 AM »

I think that the amount of food you area allowed to consume be based on the amount of work you do and/or the amount of Q's you make.  So if you help erect the portable towers, you get to eat steak.  If you only make 10 contacts / hour, you get one of last years twinkees 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »

I think that the amount of food you area allowed to consume be based on the amount of work you do and/or the amount of Q's you make.  So if you help erect the portable towers, you get to eat steak.  If you only make 10 contacts / hour, you get one of last years twinkees 

WOW That's all I can say.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »

They often seem to have last years potato chips!!!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 07:34:54 AM »

Just a small point here...a donation jar is not a requirement. It's just a suggestion. Non-profits with 501c3 status with the IRS can, and often, do charge for "stuff" they do. It need not affect that tax-exempt status at all. Cost-recovery is a legitimate part of services rendered...depends somewhat on the narrative submitted in the tax-exempt request. Often, ham clubs are "educational" in nature and food expenses for meals can be legitimately construed as part of the educational outreach.

I hope this clarifies some of the nuances of this discussion.

Frank
K4FMH

I am the secretary and a founding member of a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation. Being not-for-profit tax-exempt (as many radio clubs are) and being a 501(c)(3) ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS! I don't know about other states, but in Missouri, the Department of Revenue grants not-for-profit tax-exempt status to an organization, but in order to become a 501(c)(3), that requires approval by the IRS. The short form application is only 3 pages, but the cost is $400.

Only donations to 501(c)(3) corporations are tax deductible, but any money you give to a not-for-profit tax-exempt entity is just a gift given voluntarily out of sense of personal generosity.

Even if they wanted to fill out the application and spend the $400, amateur radio clubs can not be 501(c)(3) corporations. The only entities that qualify are religious, educational, charitable, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, to foster national or international amateur sports competition, or prevention of cruelty to children or animals organizations. Strictly speaking, amateur radio club's are social organizations and even though they may do "educational" or "scientific" stuff from time to time, that alone does not qualify for 501(c)(3) status.

Yes, it does seem somewhat of an oxymoron to have a "mandatory donation" since a donation is generally considered to be voluntary, but just because you call it a donation does not make it tax deductible. A club has every right to charge for a meal and it will not effect their tax-exempt status in any way, but if you try and deduct your "donation" to your club, you are the one who could possibly be in trouble with the IRS, not the club!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:43:09 PM by N0IU » Logged
K3LI

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »

Your field day should be a darn good opportunity to gain new members and help bring more hams into the hobby.  That is the whole idea.  If you require people to "donate" then it is not a donation, but a fee, thereby jeopardizing your tax status.

Ill bet your club is also the same type that a small clique wants to be in charge of everything and do not welcome other hams setting up their antennas and rigs because it may interfere with your precious
field day set up.

It darn sure sounds like a club I would not waste 1 dollar joining.

If you advertise your field day and people actually show up, do not be surprised when they enjoy your dinner.

Your club is either financially mismanaged with dues that are too low, or too small to fund your projects. 

Besides, some people suck at cooking and you most likely would not want it anyway.

What a waste of a tremendous opportunity to gain members.  I truly feel sorry for you.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 04:33:46 AM »

If you require people to "donate" then it is not a donation, but a fee, thereby jeopardizing your tax status.

Seriously?

First of all, we don't know anything about this club's "tax status". The OP has not contributed one word to this discussion since his original post. For all we know, his "club" could be just a bunch of folks who have pooled their money to buy a repeater and meet once in a while for friendship and camaraderie and may not have filed any sort of letter of incorporation with his state and therefore has no special "tax status" whatsoever.

Secondly, assuming they are a tax-exempt not-for-profit corporation, how exactly will charging for a meal "jeopardize" their tax status? Where are you getting this information? Where did you get your accounting training? Are you a licensed CPA in Texas or Tennessee where the OP lives?

I am also the secretary of a fraternal organization with tax-exempt not-for-profit status in the State of Missouri and we charge for meals all the time. If you think this is illegal or is somehow jeopardizing our "tax status", then you are free to contact Ms. Nia Ray, the Director of the Missouri Department of Revenue. Her address is:

Nia Ray, Director
Department of Revenue
Truman Building, Room 670
P.O. Box 311
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102

Let me know what she says!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:07:51 AM by N0IU » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: