The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day and freeloaders  (Read 76726 times)
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »

If the club member is in good standings with the club and does not bring a covered dish and takes home food what can you really say? The next club meeting you could make it clear that you bring a covered dish or buy something to bring from home, but hurting feelings and possibly losing a club member is not the intention of the club. This type of activity happens a lot but you need to stop and realize maybe that person is having some hard times, do not single out or hurt feelings not the purpose of the club to hurt feelings, but you can tell them in a way so they know who they are. Club meetings are also good fellowship do not ever lose sight of that important factor. If this person makes a habit of the same activity they talk to them but be nice, help him out, you could also be in his or her shoes one day.
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »

ka4gfy....record keeping....record keeping how could you possibly not know this person is a member of the club, fire your recording sec. and smack the treasurer's hand.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »

ka4gfy....record keeping....record keeping how could you possibly not know this person is a member of the club, fire your recording sec. and smack the treasurer's hand.
Or you could just not worry about it, and let someone take some food home...  It is not like they are steeling your K3, it is just a bit of food, that was freely given.  You can't stop this and not cause bad feelings...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 07:00:17 AM »

WHAT IS A K-3?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »

WHAT IS A K-3?

There are a lot of people asking you about 501(c)(3) corporations in your other post and all you can tell them is to go to Google® for the answer, so why don't you follow your own advice and use Google® to look it up for yourself!

(I'll give you a hint: the K3 mentioned in NK7Z's post is NOT a Pentax DSLR camera body)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »

WHAT IS A K-3?
This covers everything you need to know about a K3.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=K3+ham+radio

Thanks,
Dave
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »

nk7z....ok thank you for the radio update we were in conversation on 501 (c-3) areas of taxes but ok the k-3 is a nice radio lets keep this a secret because it would be a great door prize...lol..lol
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »

nk7z....ok thank you for the radio update we were in conversation on 501 (c-3) areas of taxes but ok the k-3 is a nice radio lets keep this a secret because it would be a great door prize...lol..lol
You should probably add a few quotes, (like above), to your posts so people can actually follow what you are trying to impart, and to give context...  Look at the post directly above your comment... 

Thanks,
Dave
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »

I'll bet those freeloaders eating your XYL's bean salad without chipping in are no-code hams, too!   Cheesy Cheesy

ex W4HFK
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »

I'll bet those freeloaders eating your XYL's bean salad without chipping in are no-code hams, too!   Cheesy Cheesy
    Or maybe even CBers!!!!   Huh
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »

Or maybe not hams at all. OH THE HORROR!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »

Or maybe not hams at all. OH THE HORROR!
   Darn Freebanders!!!!  Cry
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »

just read thru this entire posting.  may I add?  I don't go to my local club meetings but I pay my yearly dues.  I don't use the repeater either, but I still pay my dues.  I don't feel very welcome at any of the meetings I have attended and have considered driving an extra 20 miles to try the club a couple of towns over but considering things, it would most likely be more of the same.  I WAS able to be a vec coordinator for the club, along with 3 other fellows.  But I opened my mouth and asked why I was the only one who had to share a session.  Now I only am allowed to do 2 sessions, not 3 as one would expect.  Perhaps I just don't "play well with others".  Those I work with in ARES and those vec sessions don't seem to have any problems with me. They keep coming back, even knowing I am present.
So what is my point?  If you really want to have a club then I think you are going to have to let go of your concern of what other people are doing/getting/being. I know of no surer way to drive people away.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »

If you really want to have a club then I think you are going to have to let go of your concern of what other people are doing/getting/being. I know of no surer way to drive people away.

Amen, this type of behavior is what drives new hams away in droves. I think most clubs aren't really clubs anymore, they're just incorporated groups of insular whacker buddies.

If I were a new ham (or an interested non-ham) and came to an open field day where someone immediately started peppering me with questions about whether I chipped in my $5 for the spoiled potato salad sitting in the sun all day and cold KFC, I'd probably just give him the money then never come back to any of that club's meetings again.

People are complaining about how horrible our culture is now in this thread, and how too many folks want everything for free. While I generally agree with that sentiment, there's a flip side to that that is lost... which is hospitality to guests. Eastern/Asian cultures still practice this, but it has become totally lost in western culture. It used to be if you wanted someone to join your organization you welcomed them in, told them what you were about and explained what you had to offer. You offered food and drink. If they offered to chip in you wouldn't hear of it, because they were a guest and you were "recruiting" them to join your organization and actively participate. You hoped your initial hospitality would pay dividends down the line in dues, possible technical know-how, volunteer service, or even grunt-work.

All of that is lost in most ham radio clubs now, and this thread is a perfect example. Hospitality? Encouraging guests ? Why don't we just have a guy with a orange vest and clipboard meet everyone at the parking lot with wristbands, membership applications and plenty of change before people can even get out of their cars? Let's treat casual family picnics like they are full-blown paid-entry hamfests!

And if a couple of "freeloaders" come by and eat a plate and don't operate, what are you doing to encourage them to hang around and make some QSO? Maybe they are intimidated by "contest-style" operating. Maybe their XYL just died and they just could use some company. Maybe they don't get on HF much, or don't know how to work a rig well. Does anyone offer to help them jump in and log for them while they work some SSB so they can get acclimated? Or do you just run up to them with spittle flying out of your mouth, poking them in the chest over being a freeloader?

I used to work with a guy. He was really smart and did a great job, but I absolutely hated going out to lunch with him. Mostly because he was so OCD he had to divide the check up to the penny every time a group went out. He would obsess over it so that everything was exactly even. There was no "close enough" or "hey I'll get the tab next time" or "just buy me a beer at happy hour and we're good" with this guy. He wanted everything down to the penny or he would drive you nuts about how so-and-so was short a dollar in the pot. Cringeworthy stuff. People asked him to chill out, told him it wasn't a big deal, don't worry so much about it. But he could never let it go. Eventually people stopped inviting him to lunch, and he ended up eating by himself a lot in the company cafeteria.

Everyone should just chill out. It's a family picnic. If you decide you want to eat by yourself in the cafeteria fine, but don't later wonder why your organization can't attract any younger hams or new people.

ex W4HFK
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »

Everyone should just chill out.

And I will repeat what I said earlier in this thread that sums up this whole idea....

If your club can not afford to give away food to anyone who wants it, DON'T DO IT!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: