The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day and freeloaders  (Read 76732 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 08:09:49 AM »

We sell tickets to our swapfest. It is our fundraiser for our club and supports our ARES group as well. State of Wisconsin is fine with it because the money raised is used for community good, not individual profit. So would getting money for field day meals. It is a club event and the money is used for club purposes which in turn is community good.

N0IU knows his stuff!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 08:47:35 AM »

I say let everyone eat and be happy, it only happens once a year.
K5MF

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 08:29:28 AM »

I agree, FD events are the time of year that you should spend the money collected over the year.  Guests, freeloaders, strangers are all welcome.  When I bring food I always bring extra.  I don't mind at all and I don't think others do either.  Typically we have one member who brings 2 or 3 large pizzas each year.  Others bring cases of water, another brings a big cooler full of sodas.  When it is gone, we drink water or someone makes a run to get more.  If I am asked to bring a package of hot-dogs, I bring 2.  One member participates in BBQ competitions and always fixes a brisket or two at his cost.  Wives and guys make potato salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad, cut up a watermelon, make deviled eggs, baked beans, or put together a vegi-tray or bring plates, potato chips, or napkins.  Wives make delicious cakes, pies, brownies, cookies, and we make a couple of freezers of ice cream.  We welcome all and don't give a hoot if anyone donates or not.  It doesn't matter if they have come to a club meetings or not.  It doesn't matter if they are guests or the homeless guy that hangs out at the park where we operate.  We feed all who come to visit.  We have organized games for the kids and the park has a swimming pool so if we get overheated we hit the pool for a while.  There is a fishing pond so some choose to take the kiddos fishing or kayaking.  Our biggest problem is what to do with all of the food that is left over at the end of the day.  There is usually more than enough to take home and/or donate to the food bank.  By the end of the day there are way to many of us with protruding bellies (more than normal) ready to take a nap.  Oh yeah, we play radio a little bit also.  I know everyone in the club spends more on FD supplies then they do for dues.  We don't look at it as a club doing something for us day, but rather us doing something to promote radio day.  We have a blast.

Don't sweat the little things.  Don't expect it to be a 50/50 relationship (just like marriage) and give more than is expected knowing you are being a good person and helping the club and event be successful.  Don't worry about the outliers, have faith in your fellow man, and go through life happy and full of joy.

Tom/K5MF
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

WELL SAID TOM. That's how it's suppose to be.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »

WOW What an education. I dont belong to the local clubs. I am tied up on their meeting nigt with other commitments and so didn't think it fair to join if I couldn't attend. And I dont own a taxi radio so don't use the repeater. Don't do well in clubs anyway. ("do not play well with others") However I have over the years made a point when at all possible of dropping by the local field days even the winter one for a few minute at least just to encourage them and show support. Fair or rotten weather too. Even helped them set up one day when they were short handed for a vertical antenna raising. never felt real welcome. Thoought perhaps I had BO or something but have done it for 20 years or so. Never took any food or interupted them when eating but I didn't know I wasn't welcome. I thought Field Day was about promoting ham radio. Stupid me. Boy I won't make that mistake again!
donVE3LYX

Don,
It might be a bit of a drive, but consider this an invitation.

Come on down to Cleveland, OH and visit us for Field Day.
You can break bread with us and maybe play some radio too.
We'll make you feel welcome.

Look up WB8CQR on the ARRL Field Day locator. We're not hard to find.
It'll show up on the locator as Field Day approaches.
We start setting up around 9AM. A break for lunch around noon, and
dinner is around 5 or 6PM.

Bring your favorite lawn chair.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:05:55 PM by N8AUC » Logged
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

Thank you for the wonderful invite. Should it ever be a possibility I will do my best. I have been to your fair City a few times.
Boy, the subject got well covered here.
My Elmer got me involved with the Air Base Ham club in Trenton Ont (CFB Trenton) in the early 1980s. I did several field days with them , taking my turn at CW ops and tent pitching etc. Most were ex Military or currently active Military and I am not in that field of endevour but I was treated well. The club is no longer for some reason. The local clubs have their meetings on WED nights and I have a meeting every Wed which I chair so I can't attend. That didn't seem fair to join when I know for a fact I will only see one of two meetings per year. They wouldn't understand that. I don't think I have ever even taken a cup of coffee from them. Just wanted to encourage them. Still it used to be back when men were men and women were proud of it that hams were always friendly with each other. Those days are gone I fear. But I have decided to be as pleasant as possible and try to ignore the "yer not really welcome here" feeling. It doesn't help that I love tubes, homebrew, don't own an auto tuner and use CW.  But that's life. Now at least I can go to Cleveland if they throw me out here. Just knowing that helps :>)
donVe3LYX
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:25:45 PM by VE3LYX » Logged
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »

This problem is not exclusive to Ham radio...it's the human condition.  Those that throw a ten or twenty dollar bill into the pot and those that never do.  I have seen so much of this freeloader abuse that I have taken the liberty to walk over to those who haven't contributed and ask them right there on the spot to throw the money in.  Not just a dollar or two but whatever the acceptable amount should be.  Those that do not contribute time and time again are flatly asked to leave or stop eating.  If we are supposed to be mature adults then no one should believe that they have a right to freeload or think that they won't get caught not paying their share.  If these repeat offenders are in your organization, do you really want them there? These are the same people who never volunteer to help out in any capacity at all so do you want them in your organization?  The problem with freeloaders are that the people who do all the organizing, cooking, and subsidizing don't have the nerve to embarrass the miscreants.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

This problem is not exclusive to Ham radio...it's the human condition.  Those that throw a ten or twenty dollar bill into the pot and those that never do.  I have seen so much of this freeloader abuse that I have taken the liberty to walk over to those who haven't contributed and ask them right there on the spot to throw the money in.  Not just a dollar or two but whatever the acceptable amount should be.  Those that do not contribute time and time again are flatly asked to leave or stop eating.  If we are supposed to be mature adults then no one should believe that they have a right to freeload or think that they won't get caught not paying their share.  If these repeat offenders are in your organization, do you really want them there? These are the same people who never volunteer to help out in any capacity at all so do you want them in your organization?  The problem with freeloaders are that the people who do all the organizing, cooking, and subsidizing don't have the nerve to embarrass the miscreants.
   Interesting point!  I'll never forget this one "freeloader" who used to come to most of the events, and grab whatever he could.  However, the biggest shock of all came when we found out that the guy was worth over $20 Million!!!   Cry  Huh
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »

Seems to me publically embarrassing someone only makes the person doing the embarrassing look bad. Comes across petty and cruel. That's why most people don't use such a tactic. Especially if the group only asks for donations.

If you need to collect every dime, sell tickets and collect every ticket from them when they eat. Otherwise the few that take advantage of not "donating" are just part of doing business. And I thought a donation was voluntary anyway. If it is not voluntary, it is no longer a donation, but a sale. Only in the case of a sale would such a strong reaction to the few be correct.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 05:08:38 AM »

Those that do not contribute time and time again are flatly asked to leave or stop eating.

Seriously? You would take a plate of half-eaten food from someone and throw it away?
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »

Those that do not contribute time and time again are flatly asked to leave or stop eating.

Seriously? You would take a plate of half-eaten food from someone and throw it away?

Yes... that irks me too.

The whole idea of being of service to the community and people are carping about people eating food offered for free, but not met with a quid pro quo.

It's just selfishness. Personal or organizational. Put out a donation jar to offset the food costs. Be humble and accept what's given. Enjoy doing something for someone else without getting anything in return.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 08:47:56 PM »

This has become a showcase for some of what I call the "grumpy old men syndrome" in this hobby.
If they wonder why there are no new members in their club or they don't stay long, READ THIS THREAD.
It's probably why the club can't afford a couple of hot dogs in the first place!
THe club will die along with the last of the old grumps.

The donation jar works well. Welcome all and have fun with FD.

AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 09:27:23 AM »

Over the years I have been a member of clubs and attended FDs. Never encountered any of those problems. Possibly some hams are standing around with a check sheet taking score on who is working. Guess I never noticed.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »

Well, all I can say is this...

Almost every Field Day, we have a handful of people who stop by and never "contribute"

Some of them are new hams.  Some of them are inactive hams.  Some are older club members who have put in their time in years past, and now want to socialize.

I have never seen someone show up just to eat lunch or dinner & leave immediately thereafter.  I'm sure it happens -- it's just never happened with my club in the ~25 Field Days I've been to.

Regardless... we usually have plenty of everything, so it's not a problem.  We use the opportunity to try and encourage the new and inactive hams to get active (and if it's with us, so much the better!) , and to get to socialize with the older gang.  Isn't that what the non-operating part of FD is all about?
AA7LX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 10:36:51 PM »

OK; I understand what has been said. When I was President of the local club, the way we did it was: Everybody paid for the BBQ dinner. When you paid - You received one Plate. You were allowed one pass thru the line. One person-one Ticket-one Plate. The dinner was catered and/or cooked by outside of the Club personnel. Children received one Plate for a paid ticket. No sharing of Plates. There was no free Food since no-one brought anything to share. Otherwise, And, when we had the annual Club Picnic everyone brought something to share to be part of the Picnic.   
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: