The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redoing my ham shack  (Read 9243 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »

I am in process of oganizing my ham shack. I have a rat ness of wires next to power supply and want to organize this I know they make wire blocks where I can organize the mess and also allow me to have access to the 12 volts if I need to  and also be able when I add new things make it easier. I also want to put a new antenna 3 way switch in and get rid of the cheap 2 way switch I use now . Where can I purchase this equipment at a good price. Thanks for any advice.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »

powerpole busses should be fused at each point (any bus takeoff, for that matter, needs an appropriate fuse.)  if you don't have the scratchola for them, then might I suggest binding posts and fuse blocks.  I think your standard Johnson or Smith binding post is 15 amps maximum, so for the transceiver(s) you might want to get  BPs that the car audiophools use for wiring their kilowatt subwoofers.  check places like all electronics, parts express, mcm electronics, etc for the best deals.

the other thing that is cheap is using brass or copper bolts for power distribution with fuse blocks.  looks like Astron Wink  put them through Plexiglass, fiberglass, or phenolic panels.  be sure to put another insulator over the top of this arrangement, you don't want stray tools shorting over your welding-level power pack.

antenna switch ... hamfest deal.  the Y-shaped super cheap deals are truly dock sweepings from whatever island was above water the second Tuesday of the month.  you're probably better off using standard light switches. if you get gaspingly lucky like I did a couple years ago, the round multiport switches from B&W or Waters from a SK lot in a hamfest are good as gold.  unused terminals short  to ground on almost all of them, which is just dandy for multiple antennas.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:01:47 AM by KD0REQ » Logged
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »

Thanks for the advice.
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:21 AM »

To your question regarding an antenna switch, often you can find old B&W coax switches for not much money, and MFJ make a few antenna switches as well.    On the cheap, you could simply make up a little Patch Panel and a couple jumpers.

I presume you 're talking primary (12V) wiring?  Do you have access to the rear of the bench/shelves?   It makes life much easier if you do.   As for what to purchase for DC distribution I wouldn't have any Idea, the few modern radios I have, have their own power supply, or operate off AC. 

Keepilng all the cables "organized"(?) in the rear.

keeps the front lots cleaner looking.

The current "rear view" isn't pretty, but you can certainly imagine the mess I had before putting those PVC rings up.  They are slit so it's easy to change things.

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:51:32 AM »

On the cheap, you could simply make up a little Patch Panel and a couple jumpers.

How much power can you run through those BNC jumpers? I presume they're okay for 100 watts but not legal limit?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 08:15:43 AM »

I am in process of oganizing my ham shack. I have a rat ness of wires next to power supply and want to organize this I know they make wire blocks where I can organize the mess and also allow me to have access to the 12 volts if I need to  and also be able when I add new things make it easier. I also want to put a new antenna 3 way switch in and get rid of the cheap 2 way switch I use now . Where can I purchase this equipment at a good price. Thanks for any advice.
I redid mine about a year ago...  See:
http://nk7z.net/rebuilding-the-shack/

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:39:26 PM »

How much power can you run through those BNC jumpers? I presume they're okay for 100 watts but not legal limit?

Amphenol says they're good to 500V, 1500VRMS dielectric withstand voltage. So it kinda depends on VSWR also. 100W no issues. Legal limit??? http://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/bnc.html

But it also kinda depends on what you're using for coax jumpers: RG-174, RG-58, RG-142, RG-8, etc. And whether you can get a BNC for larger/better cables at a reasonable price.

The interesting thing is the guts of a BNC is basically the same as a type N, which is rated at 707 VRMS peak, 10KW peak, 0.6 KW avg. http://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/n-type.html But then I don't think I could put up with a type N patch panel for very long before I would cross-thread one, in the heat of battle.

PL259-SO239? Heck, they're rated at 500V also and people run legal limit all the time! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_connector

Pick you poison. See what heats up when you're running. If you're at UHF, a UHF connector is not a good idea.

And I'm not sure I would use a patch panel with an amp, for fear of accidentally running it without a load, wrong antenna, etc. I'm not perfect!  Roll Eyes

Jim K6JH
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »

James is pretty much spot on, including the possibility of running a few hundred watts down an open line.  Shocked   I run less than about 50 Watts (exciters) in the 174, which is what all but the one jumper at the far right end of the patch panel is.   That jumper is RG-58, connecting the linears to the T/R switch and on to the tuner.  I use the 174 almost everywhere, with crimp connectors, which are quick, easy, and cheap, direct from China.  

At one time I used an MFJ switch, and years ago a few B&W switches.  About year ago I changed things around again, and now use the patch panel, and an old E.F. Johnson T/R switch.  In the pic I have 6 receivers, 5 transmitters, and 2 linears on the bench, and outside, one 160meter doublet, and I think the patch panel has been an improvement. 

I use a piece of RG-58 from the tuner to the 1:1 current Balun, about 5' out on the side of the house.  The only place I have any big coax, and N connectors as it so happens, is on a piece of RG214, running from the antenna tuner over to the 600W dummy load, about 2' away.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:58:18 AM by KE0ZU » Logged

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: