The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-857D or what other radio in the same rough price range?  (Read 40066 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »

I've never had my FT857D overheat,or fold back power because of heat. I bought mine new around 2004. The only thing I've done to it is install the 500hz cw filter. I do miss not having an internal tuner,but other than that it's great. The ssb xmit audio could be better, but on fm it's fine. I like it best for cw use. If I was going to buy a new hf rig now I'd go with a TS-590S. For this price class the '857 is my choice.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »

I've never had my FT857D overheat,or fold back power because of heat. I bought mine new around 2004. The only thing I've done to it is install the 500hz cw filter. I do miss not having an internal tuner,but other than that it's great. The ssb xmit audio could be better, but on fm it's fine. I like it best for cw use. If I was going to buy a new hf rig now I'd go with a TS-590S. For this price class the '857 is my choice.

Run a serious load like RTTY at 100 watts for a bit and it will either overheat or fold back to keep from overheating. Simply physics here. It must dissipate same power as a full sized rig and it lacks surface area and thermal mass due to small size and weight. Some seem to think that size plays no roll in temperature or performance.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »

Ok, now I know why Stan calls you jx Johnny. You have got to be kidding me.
Who would be so stupid to run a 857d 100 watts on rtty?

That is a 25 watt mode on a rig like that, why would anyone think that was ok? I get that elecraft and kenwood, and some icom have
100% duty finals , but no one has ever suggested this of the ft857d.

I am starting to give up hams in general

Greg ni8r
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »

Ok, now I know why Stan calls you jx Johnny. You have got to be kidding me.
Who would be so stupid to run a 857d 100 watts on rtty?

That is a 25 watt mode on a rig like that, why would anyone think that was ok? I get that elecraft and kenwood, and some icom have
100% duty finals , but no one has ever suggested this of the ft857d.

I am starting to give up hams in general

Greg ni8r

Stan is a legend in his own mind and understands little outside of the box he lives in and trys to attack anyone that calls his bluff. We were talking about a 100 watt base station rig that is not 100 watts in SSB only. For same money you can get a real 100 watt rig. The 857 is a small "shack in the box" rig that does nothing really well and a poor choice for a home station. If you are stuck on a Yaesu shack in a box get a used 897 which has same guts as 857 with much better heatsinking. Shack in the box rigs are compromised rigs because features and performance is traded for price/cost and packaging. The need for 2m and 440 SSB is greatly over rated and it is pretty silly to tie up you HF rig with 2m and 440 FM traffic with a duall band mobile (new or used) could do it SOOO MUCH better. Shift focus from shack in a box to a HF only rig and you will get better performance for your money.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 05:07:36 AM »

Arguments on this thread are exactly why new hams ARE LEAVING THE HOBBY!  Angry
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »

I wonder what is the percentage of shack in the box owners who plan to use it as a primary RTTY station versus the percentage of shack in the box owners who plan to use it as a primary HF/VHF/UHF phone rig.

There is no statute that requires using 100w on RTTY or any digi mode. Common power level for most digi modes other than RTTY is 25-40w. Some ops will go way higher, others will opt for near QRP levels.

The FT-857D will stand up to routine HF Phone use at full 100w power. It will also handle extended transmit at 25-40w digi modes with no apparent foldback. It easily maintains the full available output on VHF/UHF FM. It does tend to run hot to the touch for obvious reasons, and should not be placed in a confined space. Common sense.

If the plan is to use the rig as a multi-purpose radio, i.e., base AND portable, then the FT-897 is a better choice. It's not really well suited for mobile use in anything smaller than an SUV, as it is much bulkier than the FT-857D. It will sit nicely on a bread dashboard, as will the FT-857D.

The FT-857D, of course, has an edge for mobile use with the detachable faceplate option. In fact, the detachable faceplate option allows placing the actual chassis in a better position for cooling, and gives more flexibility in placing the control head almost anywhere around the operating position.

As I mentioned, I do use my FT-857D as a sort of catch-all, mostly on VHF/UHF repeaters or simplex, but also as a shortwave receiver and casual digi rig. Often, I'll use it to check conditions before firing up the whole station. There haven't been any instances of noticeable foldback or overheating, even running SSTV at 50w. The fans kick on and it gets warm. As designed.

I would say that as long as it is not mounted in a confined space, it's good to go. If more than 50w continuous is needed then an external amplifier would be appropriate. The difference between 50w and 100w can be the difference between a contact and no contact in signal fringe conditions, but it is not a huge difference. The math says less than a half S-unit.

K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

If you want $10,000 features, buy a $10,000 radio.
You can buy the 857D new in the box right now for $699.95.
That is a really good way to get a lot of radio experience on a new radio.

I have owned a 857D for 10 years. I ran it Hf SSB, VHF SSB and 10 meter AM and FM repeaters.
I've seen the fan come on during a long conversation but never had it fold back.
I'm just funny that way.
I also have good luck with MFJ products.
W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 06:52:03 PM »

The need for 2m and 440 SSB is greatly over rated and it is pretty silly to tie up you HF rig with 2m and 440 FM traffic with a duall band mobile (new or used) could do it SOOO MUCH better.

2m and 70cm FM is greatly overrated.  Listened to your local repeaters recently?  There is no way I would spend $300 for a dualband FM rig just to listen to that.

John AF5CC
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »

The 857 has separate mic gain settings for AM, FM, and SSB. If it sounds bad on FM, it probably just needs the mic gain turned down. The fancy DTMF mic for them has "communications" audio, and is tighter range than the stock mic.
M0SDB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »

The 857 is a cracking radio for what it is. I have one and it's brilliant for /p work, works well with say a Signalink box on digi modes, the 2/70 section works well and the menus are intuitive and well structured.

All that said I wouldn't have one as my main base radio as I prefer more direct controls for base work.

If it were my money I'd get a 450D and a separate 2/70 unit. The 450D is generally underrated but usually by those that have never used one and it's excellent value.

That said if you want an all in one your options are limited and the 857 is a great radio for the money.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but you to not know why.
Quite often these two things happen together; nothing works and you do not know why - Arihato
K6IUZ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »

I have had the 857 for about 10 years now running mostly mobile in a car and on a motorcycle...I think its ok for what it is but it is not a rugged
mobile/portable unit....I think the weak link is prolly the head, as vertical blanked out stripes on the display screen seem to be a common issue
(mine has many display blanked out areas and the fix isnt cheap...maybe 1/3 price of a new one). Used as a base station would be somewhat
frustrating due to the menu system of feature access, rather than direct front panel access on most base station rigs. If you do get one treat it
kindly or you may wish you did (keep the head out of hot cars  Cry. I suppose the same could be said about most ham (non commerical/military)
gear.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »

Arguments on this thread are exactly why new hams ARE LEAVING THE HOBBY!  Angry

Yes that's true but most of these guys don't care about that, they WILL only care when 2 out of the Big 3 manufactures are gone and most of the Ham stores like AES are gone.  Then they will start to care! 
A lot of them don't get that this is not 1960 and Ham Radio is not the cutting edge of technology, it's considered horse and buggy technology and most people who get into are old school CBers with a passion for the hobby from when they were kids but could not afford it back then.   These people can easily get disillusioned and move onto something else, the result lessens our numbers and weakens the hobby.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »

IC-7200 ! A steal at $799.  73
KC3RN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »

I just upgraded my rig a couple of weeks ago.  I looked at the 857, but wound up buying the Icom IC-7100.  At its current price of under $1,000 it's a LOT of radio.  HF/VHF/UHF, all mode, D-Star, the list goes on.

I was a bit put off by the two piece format and touch screen, but I got used to it in about 15 seconds.  It's actually a pretty intuitive radio to operate.  Like I said earlier, for $1,000 it's a LOT of radio.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: