The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood SW-200 / SW-2000 meter DC power question  (Read 7568 times)
K0AST

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »

Hi,

If someone has one of these, could you please tell me when powering it if it is TIP+/RING-, or TIP-/RING plus.

I have the manual from on-line and it does not tell me as much.  One never knows...

Thanks!

Dan
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »

According to the SW-2000 schematic in the manual I found online, the center pin is ground and negative.  You could verify that by using a VOM to make sure that the center pin is grounded.

73, Floyd - K8AC
K0AST

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »

Thats what it looked like to me, but I wanted to be sure.  I am great at AC stuff, and can wire your home, but never been too good at DC stuff.

Thanks for your comments!
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »

In reading through the manual, it appears that Kenwood included a power cord with the SW-2000 that had color coded leads.  They just tell you to connect the red lead to the + of the supply.  I've seen dozens of SW-2000s at hamfests over the years and I don't think I've ever seen one being sold with that power cord (or the manual).  Sure would be nice if the manufacturers standardized on the power connectors.  I have a junk box full of wall-wart supplies, but never seem to have one with the right polarity and pin size.

73, Floyd - K8AC
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »

I own several SW-2000s and can confirm the center pin is negative.  If wired backwards, the lights will work but the wattmeter and PEP function will not.  The good news is...no harm done.  Just reverse the polarity and go on about your business.  Nice meter.  Too bad Kenwood doesn't still build something similar.
K0AST

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:48 AM »

Thanks all!  appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: