The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what are those things?  (Read 23332 times)
DELETED-USERNAME-009

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »

This maybe a simple answer, and I have had it in mind for a few years with no one to answer. I see these little upside down fire cracker sized cylinders with a 2 or three inch wire coming out. They can be attached to a number of things usually outside on a maintenance shack or on a street light or some sort utility or security concern.. Normally they are grey and the wire comes out of the bottom. I have often thought they are proximity sensing. I cannot guess, and how do they get their power supply?  Thanks  Leonard Garland KC6rwi
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »

It would help if you would snap a picture of one and post it.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »

if there was one antenna up and one down, it would probably be a wifi network node for internet.

just one, it's probably a sender or receiver on the power company channel.  assuming you see them on utility poles only.  this is "smart power" stuff to help boundary-chart outages and stuff.  most of them in our area look like little yagis if next to a 3-phase line, but there are single verticals on distribution lines.  some could be senders also... there are "summer air conditioning rates" based on switching home a/c off for 15-minute periods, and the signals radiate off those dinguses to the little boxes next to the a/c units outside.

if you are seeing them on pole barn lights, they would be daylight sensors to turn the lights on and off.

could also be little bombs by terrorists, but we don't have a noticeable amount of that here.
DELETED-USERNAME-009

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »

thanks..I am going to have to take a picture. basically its about the size of a c battery a tiny arm of metal brings it out about 2" from whatever it is mounted to and a dangling 3 inch piece of wire comes out the bottom..I just searched google images and did not find it..I must take a picture.I've seen them around a public park, even on a utility building,and I saw one on the way to work on a grass medial mounted to a short sign.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:40 AM »

http://youtu.be/eayDFs98ToY

Enjoy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:37:02 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »

KTN. Now that was funny !
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »

I am 55 years of age. Whenever i hear what is that??. I think of that Saturday night live skit. Take Care. 73Ssss
DELETED-USERNAME-009

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:43 AM »

yeah...I got that, and it is funny, you know when I posted that title, a tiny voice may have said poat "what the hell is that", and being a first post and not knowing the community at large I skipped the urge. I'll show you, I'll post a picture of one those things.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 05:04:56 AM »

.... I see these little upside down fire cracker sized cylinders ...

just a simple question,........... if you don't know what they are, how do you know they are upside down? Roll Eyes
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:10:39 AM »

I read 'I see these little upside down fire cracker sized cylinders with a 2 or three inch wire coming out.' as a description.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »

Sounds like an auto engine ignition points capacitor.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 04:19:01 AM »

Sounds like an auto engine ignition points capacitor.

Being old, I replaced a crap load of those and never saw one with more than one wire.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 07:21:17 AM »

little upside down fire cracker sized cylinders with a 2 or three inch wire coming out.

Hopefully they're not blasting caps!  Wink
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »

8P:  The attachment  to the case is the "second" wire or ground.  We're just guessing, right?

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
DELETED-USERNAME-009

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »

I'm beginning to think that this is something the city put up for some sort of monitoring. I have seen them in the city I live, Glendale ca.. TO describe them better,, about 3 inches long, grey plastic tube and from the bottom a single wire always hangs out about 2"or 3" I know I have seen one mounted on a wooden utility shed, also on some decorative lamp posts, and I have even see them on signs on the median of a main road. I wonder if they are monitoring humidity. I will get one or take a picture. Now that I have started this post I must end it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: