The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fast food drive-ins  (Read 9439 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2016, 06:04:52 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
hmmm...where does this belong ?

I have been playing with my Baofeng's and to me they are ok just to listen to VHF/UHF.

Question though ? Does anybody know if McDonalds/Burger-King/Wendy's/etc. still use radio at the drive-in ?

If so is it listenable ? -- or just data or ? I seem to get signals in 460mhz range but data-data-data...
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »

Did you finally get tired of listening to the numbers stations?

KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »

Not sure but if you do a search on FCC data base on-line you can load a freq range for your QTH and find every licensed  user and call sign. Yes, even burger joints are on it. See RadioRefference.com also for more info. Good bunch there.
And yes, I'd like to know where there are any CW numbers stations to hear myself! Please advise.  VY 73 lane de n8aft sk..
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »

(...)
And yes, I'd like to know where there are any CW numbers stations to hear myself! Please advise.  VY 73 lane de n8aft sk..

Frankly, I'd rather watch paint dry...but hey, whatever rocks your boat!

The Enigma 2000 group publishes information on numbers stations.
Active Stations List (Fev.2016) (see page 11 for CW stations).
http://www.apul64.dsl.pipex.com/enigma2000/docs/ENIGMA%202000%20Active%20Station%20List.pdf

Frequencies used are not in the list but in periodic Newsletters published by the group. There is a link to the Newsletters on the group's main page.
http://www.apul64.dsl.pipex.com/enigma2000/

The March 2016 Newsletter lists several Morse frequencies currently in use.
http://www.apul64.dsl.pipex.com/enigma2000/newsletters/En93.pdf

If you can't find any on-air stations, Enigma has some recorded transmissions, including CW.
http://www.apul64.dsl.pipex.com/enigma2000/samples03.html
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
hmmm...where does this belong ?

I have been playing with my Baofeng's and to me they are ok just to listen to VHF/UHF.

Question though ? Does anybody know if McDonalds/Burger-King/Wendy's/etc. still use radio at the drive-in ?

If so is it listenable ? -- or just data or ? I seem to get signals in 460mhz range but data-data-data...
  The big question is can I order my burger via radio, while I'm waiting behind a bunch of cars at the drive through??  Smiley
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:31:34 AM »

The big question is can I order my burger via radio, while I'm waiting behind a bunch of cars at the drive through??  Smiley

You also need to find out if the place uses LOTW--it'll save you a lot of time and bother QSLing.

Get your WAFF (Worked All Fast Food) much easier if you don't have to use paper QSLs.  Maybe even get the "Taco Bell endorsement" sticker for your certificate!  Wink

"CASHIER PLS CAN YOU GO TO 15M RTTY BK"
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:46:47 AM »

I did that at a McDonalds years ago when they had their window system in the 150 MHZ band.  I ordered a whole bunch of stuff and then watched the fun. Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »

There was a guy named Tony who owned a pizzeria back in the Bronx many years ago.  Not sure if he was a Ham, but he had a CB rig in the back that was always on, and a "Super Magnum" antenna on top of the place!  The local CBers would all flock there, and often would call in their orders over the air!!   Smiley
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 05:55:29 PM »

-just curious about radio waves around town/city.....

It seems nobody knows if the fast-food drive-in still uses such. A joke I could imagine is besides odd orders INSULT the staff and observe reactions.

Well..I have a small airport around here that gives weather, etc. 24/7 if you can understand it. (AM of coarse)
N8YB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »

There was a story of a ham in the late 1980's that use his modified dual band radio to cross band Wendy's drive up window orders to the Burger King across the street.
 Grin Grin Grin Grin
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »

They were supposedly 150 mhz area on one of those MURL? frequencies.  I hear nothing about such anymore.

I do not advocate bad jokes but just thinking of the potentials.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 05:52:08 PM »

There was a guy named Tony who owned a pizzeria back in the Bronx many years ago.  Not sure if he was a Ham, but he had a CB rig in the back that was always on, and a "Super Magnum" antenna on top of the place!  The local CBers would all flock there, and often would call in their orders over the air!!   Smiley
That is exactly what the CB band was originally intended for.

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 08:47:57 AM »

There was a story of a ham in the late 1980's that use his modified dual band radio to cross band Wendy's drive up window orders to the Burger King across the street.
 Grin Grin Grin Grin
I am somehow reminded of the legendary story of the late Don Wallace W6AM. 

If I recall correctly, during the 1950's (and possibly 1960's) he had a KW AM mobile setup in his car.  When he would arrive at a certain department store to pick his wife up, he would transmit "Would Mrs. Don Wallace please report to the front of the store?" (or words to that effect).  The store's PA system would pick up the transmission, broadcast it throughout, and that's how Mrs. Wallace knew her ride home had arrived.
KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »

When I was a teenager, back around 1980, several of my friends and I had CB radios and overdriven amplifiers. We learned that we would bleed over to the local Wendy's drive through one day. The Wendy's would have the drive thru audio loud so that you could easily hear it if you were at the counter. One of our group was in the store when others were talking on the radio in the parking lot and he heard it coming through. The Wendy's staff just called it "the ghost". Well, we created a CB character called the ghost who would go park near the store and start ordering through the drive thru. We made it more elaborate as time went on by sending a scout inside to observe and report back employee names, specific things they talked about, etc. Observing was tough to keep a straight face. Thanks for bringing back the old memory.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »

When I was a teenager, back around 1980, several of my friends and I had CB radios and overdriven amplifiers. We learned that we would bleed over to the local Wendy's drive through one day. The Wendy's would have the drive thru audio loud so that you could easily hear it if you were at the counter. One of our group was in the store when others were talking on the radio in the parking lot and he heard it coming through. The Wendy's staff just called it "the ghost". Well, we created a CB character called the ghost who would go park near the store and start ordering through the drive thru. We made it more elaborate as time went on by sending a scout inside to observe and report back employee names, specific things they talked about, etc. Observing was tough to keep a straight face. Thanks for bringing back the old memory.
  I got one for ya!  Back in the '60s a CBer bought a linear and hooked it up to a homebrewed antenna up on his roof.  Only problem was that he lived next door to a nursing home, and every time he keyed all the seniors would start hearing "voices" through their hearing aids!  For a while the staff thought that all the residents were going insane!!!   Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: