The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu receiver question  (Read 17536 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »

Not sure if my Yaesu qualifies as a true boat anchor, but it is 'older'......

I recently purchased a nice FR-101D receiver. I have the Operation Manual but is appears there was never a Service Manual. Is this correct?
The Op Manual has some voltage readings/adjustments, but..... I like to acquire as much documentation as I can for my stuff.

Thanks in advance..

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »

Ron,

Correct - no service manual. The Operator's Manual contains all the alignment procedures and test points. There are three pieces of documentation I'm aware of for this receiver: The analog RX Op Manual, the schematic for same and the FR-101D Digital Readout manual. All can be found on Fox-Tango's website.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »

Thank you John.
I don't yet have the radio, so been doing some 'research'. One confusion (so far) is the radio does have the FM board, but it appears the FM filter is missing from the NB board.
Not much in the manual about this area, but found some good info via Google.

tnx agn
ron
N4UE

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »

Not sure if my Yaesu qualifies as a true boat anchor, but it is 'older'......

I recently purchased a nice FR-101D receiver. I have the Operation Manual but is appears there was never a Service Manual. Is this correct?
The Op Manual has some voltage readings/adjustments, but..... I like to acquire as much documentation as I can for my stuff.

Thanks in advance..

ron
N4UE

I have an operators manual if anyone wants it. I will mail it to you. I never had the radio. So I don't recall how I got the manual. email me at my QRZ email.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »

Thank you John.
I don't yet have the radio, so been doing some 'research'. One confusion (so far) is the radio does have the FM board, but it appears the FM filter is missing from the NB board.
Not much in the manual about this area, but found some good info via Google.

tnx agn
ron
N4UE

The manual is a bit misleading in that it shows places for two FM filters: One on the NB/Mix Board (where it acts as both a filter and a pulse stretcher for the noise blanker circuit) and another on the IF Board. As far as I can tell, only the NB/Mix Board is supposed to have an FM filter (XF-30D) installed.

I just got hold of an analog (FR-101S) version with all options and its FM Option Board doesn't have a spot for a filter, though I know Yaesu has incorporated filters on FM boards for other models (2nd-generation FM Option Board for FT-901DM and FT-902, as an example). I thought one of my earlier FR-101s had a filter installed on that board but it's been a while since I saw the inside of them.

The XF-30D shows up on eBay from time to time.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 04:54:10 PM »

No affiliation to the seller, but here ya go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAESU-XF-30D-FM-Filter-FT101-FR101-more-or-use-for-HiFi-AM-Receive-/111927017560?hash=item1a0f5ec058:g:t40AAOSwu1VW200d
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

N8YX, thank you again for your help. I found a chap on eHam that has a lot of parts and purchased the whole NB board with the filter.
It appears that my original NB board has the caps in place of the filter and it works. There is no place on the IF board for the FM filter (that I can see).
I spent a few hours detailing the receiver today and it works spectacular! I have 100 or so receivers here, so that's quite a compliment. ha ha
This radio is as sensitive as any I can remember.
Still a little 'confused' about the 'calibrate' function, sure is different than my usual Drakes, etc,,,,,

ron
N4UE

G3YRO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »

I was an Engineer and ended up running the Service Dept at the UK's Yaesu importer back in the days when the FR101 came out.

Basically the FL101 transmitter and FR101 receiver were separates brought out to replace the valve FR400 and FL400. They were totally based on the original FT101 series transceiver.  In other words, nearly all the circuitry is the same as the FT101, in fact the last in the model line, the FT101E.

However, I'm not aware that Yaesu ever produced any Service Manuals back in those days. I guess they figured that the information contained in the Owner's Manuals was comprehensive enough to fix any problems!

The receiver in the FT101E and FR101 is certainly one of the most sensitive ever built, and pretty good in all other respects too. I still have my FT101E I bought back in those days, and have worked over 200 countries on 160m with it.

We had a custom 250Hz CW filter made for these rigs, and I fitted one in mine (in preference to Yaesu's 600Hz bandwidth one)

To be honest, the FR101/FL101 didn't sell very well, only because by those days most people preferred a one-box rig, ie a Transceiver . . . plus it worked out a lot cheaper, of course. (I think they were the last matching "separates" that Yaesu produced)

However . . . all the accessories designed for the original FT101 series (ie NOT the Z) will also match and work with these . . . including the SP101 external speakers and the YC601 digital frequency display (if your receiver doesn't have one built in)

Wonder why you're having problems using the calibrator function?

Roger G3YRO
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:11:53 AM by G3YRO » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »

I was an Engineer and ended up running the Service Dept at the UK's Yaesu importer back in the days when the FR101 came out.

Basically the FL101 transmitter and FR101 receiver were separates brought out to replace the valve FR400 and FL400. They were totally based on the original FT101 series transceiver.  In other words, nearly all the circuitry is the same as the FT101, in fact the last in the model line, the FT101E.

However, I'm not aware that Yaesu ever produced any Service Manuals back in those days. I guess they figured that the information contained in the Owner's Manuals was comprehensive enough to fix any problems!

The receiver in the FT101E and FR101 is certainly one of the most sensitive ever built, and pretty good in all other respects too. I still have my FT101E I bought back in those days, and have worked over 200 countries on 160m with it.

We had a custom 250Hz CW filter made for these rigs, and I fitted one in mine (in preference to Yaesu's 600Hz bandwidth one)

To be honest, the FR101/FL101 didn't sell very well, only because by those days most people preferred a one-box rig, ie a Transceiver . . . plus it worked out a lot cheaper, of course. (I think they were the last matching "separates" that Yaesu produced)

However . . . all the accessories designed for the original FT101 series (ie NOT the Z) will also match and work with these . . . including the SP101 external speakers and the YC601 digital frequency display (if your receiver doesn't have one built in)

Wonder why you're having problems using the calibrator function?

Roger G3YRO

Hi Roger, well, the calibrator issue was due to a dead 100kHZ rock. Got the 'new' FM board (with the FM Xtal filter on board) installed.
I've been doing some side-by-side testing of the FR-101 against some other radios here.
Early observation so far shows the Drake R8A not faring too well against the old Yaesu, especially on 6M and 2M. I paid more for the Drake VHF board than the 'loaded, mint' FR-101.

Fun indeed!

ron
N4UE

G3YRO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »

Jolly good !

Of course we had no 6m over here in those days, so I used to modify the 6m convertors to 4m (our 70Mhz band) before we sold them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: