The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-R75 Rx is being discontinued  (Read 33700 times)
WA2ONH

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »

The Icom IC-R75 is being discontinued as reported on The SWLing Post ...

http://swling.com/blog/2016/03/the-icom-ic-r75-is-being-discontinued/
and
Dave's Radio News ...
http://webpages.charter.net/n9ewo2/news.html

"Icom has discontinued the IC-R75 HF receiver. It had a great 16 year run on the market. I would NOT look for Icom to replace the model.  As I type this entry most US Icom dealers had limited remaining stock. ICOM has only 2 wide band sets left in the receiver line up, the super expensive IC-R9500 and IC-R6 handheld. (Updated : Mar 05,2016 )"

Yes, I do use mine for SWLing.

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:23:46 PM »

The Icom IC-R75 is being discontinued as reported on The SWLing Post ...

http://swling.com/blog/2016/03/the-icom-ic-r75-is-being-discontinued/
and
Dave's Radio News ...
http://webpages.charter.net/n9ewo2/news.html

"Icom has discontinued the IC-R75 HF receiver. It had a great 16 year run on the market. I would NOT look for Icom to replace the model.  As I type this entry most US Icom dealers had limited remaining stock. ICOM has only 2 wide band sets left in the receiver line up, the super expensive IC-R9500 and IC-R6 handheld. (Updated : Mar 05,2016 )"

Yes, I do use mine for SWLing.

Wow, that was probably the last rx-only tabletop left on the market. Most hams use transceivers now, there is very little market for rx tabletops, and people who still use them aren't in the market for a new one.
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »

I got 2 of them use them to monitor hf aircraft and there performance is excellent compare to other receivers also got the R70,R71A and other icom wideband receivers.

Regards Lino.
K0KZO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:38:09 AM »

I pounced and ordered one. A new classic in my shack.  Win win for sure.   Something old (analog R75) something new (digital SDRplay)!

Doug NG0K
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »

Never got one, never wanted one, but it's sort of sad to see tabletop receivers go the way of the dinosaur.

Just another example of the long, steady decline of HF and SW broadcasting.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »

Alinco still has one. I don't think the audio is very good but gotta beat a portable. It is that it just costs a little more to get the transceiver so 'why' just the receiver.(?) Other factors but just a basic radio..(?)
K9RZZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:01 PM »

For me, I've been a ham 40 years now. Not much interest in making QSOs at this time, but I still listen quite a bit so a receiver only fits my needs perfectly. I got my R75 used off Craigslist and love it.   Cheesy
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:43 PM »

Never got one, never wanted one, but it's sort of sad to see tabletop receivers go the way of the dinosaur.

Just another example of the long, steady decline of HF and SW broadcasting.

First off, you may be right about desktop receivers going the way of Dinos, BUT!!, my Flex 6300 can absolutely devastate some of the best desktop receivers ever conceived, save for a few. It is not going away, only changing. Though I do agree 100% if you are a non licensed SWLr you should not have to purchase a $2500 HAM radio if you want to listen to SW. This may be a problem moving forward.

As far as HF and SW broadcasting.... it might have slowed down but it is going to come back strong. 

HF and SW broadcasting is the most available and listened too medium on the entire planet. Since most of the planet consists of third world nations, the main medium for information broadcast is shortwave radio. Whilst there appears to be a decline in stations, there are still more listeners sitting in mud huts in Africa and other nations that rely on SW to listen too for their outside world information. While we (1st world) may not appear to receive many of the SW broadcast from 3rd world countries, namely because of the lower power out put of said stations, they still exist. When you install appropriate antenna systems, some wire, some directional, with proper and sensitive receivers you will find that there is more out there than you would consider given the average casual SWLr setup. Yes a small receiver with a telescopic antenna can receive a 500kw watt station 500 miles away, a VERY long beverage antenna with a properly dialed in receiver can find stations several thousand miles away at minuscule power outputs provided celestial conditions support propagation.

Also consider that we are also at a solar minimum which harshly and negatively affects short medium and long wave transmissions. We have a hard enough time fighting 160m and 80/75m propagation on the HAM bands, 2200m and all that stuff is even worse for long range due to solar conditions.

I thoroughly tend to find pirate broadcast stations more enjoyable anyways. Most American SW stations after dark are all religious screaming and yelling and fire and brimstone preaching. I do enjoy a little coast to coast AM though.

All of this is just opinion and nothing more. People are starting to get tired of digital stuff, smart phones are being out down more and more, regular dumb phones are being purchased at fast and faster rates, people are tired of government spying, tired of TV media controlling everything, people are going back to older methods of communications. The digital system is slowly eroding because humans are animals and we are not robots. We can't thrive on digital data, we are social animals, we are naturally falling back to more primitive forms of communication because it what works. Natural selection is going to pick the strongest traits, most of which already exisit, we just ignore them in favor of lazy digital dependence. Again natural selection will determine that we as a race can't survive if we plug our brains into digital thingamajiggers all day long. I get tired of all the digital stuff too and find myself in the woods hiking more and more the older I get.

Just wanted to throw a positive thought out there. I could be totally wrong. Who knows.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:39:02 PM by KK4YDR » Logged
W4JOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »

Picked one up last week on an open box deal at HRO; it will go along with my Kenwood R-2000 and my antique Hallicrafters SX-130.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »

Re: KK4YDR.

. I get tired of all the digital stuff too and find myself in the woods hiking more and more the older I get.

Just wanted to throw a positive thought out there. I could be totally wrong. Who knows.
[/quote]

Welcome to the club, just check out the Bushcraftusa.com site and throw a MFJ Cub into your backpack.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 08:40:12 AM »

I bought my r75 from HRO back in 2008. I am so glad I have one now. I run it in rotation with my r71a, DX160, and SX-88 through the course of the week.
Most SWLs now are buying the small carry-along portables for SWL like Degan, Kaito,Tecsun etc. to do everything the r75 does for SSB, MW DXing and even LW in a few. Some aren't bad at doing the job, and it seems they are the newest iteration of HF getters along side SDRs.
But to me, nothing can replace the satifying feel of operating a good old tabletop base receiver.
Although my r71a gets used the most because of its analog feel and stuff, that r75 fills that base receiver expectation very well.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:08:41 PM »

Anyone ever compare an R75 with the receive side of a Kenwood 590SG?  Any notable differences in reception, operation, or sound?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »

I don't agree with the notion that people are getting tired of digital gadgets. It's getting more and more pervasive. They don't really care about the media, government, etc. They'll complain, perhaps, but they'll keep buying the stuff. Can't find dumb phones in the stores -- just smart phones and mini-smart phones. Everyone knows their email is datamined, yet we all use it.

I also disagree that HF/SW broadcasting is going to make a return. As the digital and cell data networks expand, and FM broadcasting takes over more and more of the planet (as it has in Central and South America, for example), HF is simply going to disappear.

I'm not saying I like any of it necessarily. Just stating the reality.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »

I also disagree that HF/SW broadcasting is going to make a return. As the digital and cell data networks expand, and FM broadcasting takes over more and more of the planet (as it has in Central and South America, for example), HF is simply going to disappear.

Not disappear, but most remaining stations will be in Asia, especially China.  China has a whole network of regional stations on shortwave that isn't going away anytime soon.  Of course, if you don't speak Chinese, they won't be of much use other than as DX catches.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »

^^^^^ I agree. China also is targeting the third world countries with HF.

Sometimes CNR-1 has some slick sounding programming, and I used to enjoy hearing their service to Inner Mongolia. Very different sounding programming.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: