The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-2900r programmed by PC.  (Read 8764 times)
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »

I bought a new Yaesu FT-2900r to replace my older 2 meter rig in the shack. Having enjoyed pc assisted programming for other handheld and mobile rigs I ordered the software from one source and the cable from another. Cable came from ebady and was listed specifically for this radio and also came with a driver disc. Loaded driver and attached cable. Radio keys instantly. Removed cable from laptop and it still keys radio as soon as the RJ-12 jack is inserted. Before I go any further and start a tail chasing tornado, can someone here tell me if that is normal with a approved, working, active USB to RJ-12 cable?
Thanks, Jeff
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »

I program 3 Yaesu radios with my laptop. Never have they keyed up when I plugged in the cable. None that I have use a RJ12 for programming though. I bought the RT Systems kits for each radio. Some will whine about them being a little expensive but they work. It comes with cable and software.

VE6MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »

Some cables may not be mixed and matched with software. For example, I believe RT systems cables only work with their software...

Tino, VE6MB
Calgary, AB
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:22:45 AM »

Some cables may not be mixed and matched with software. For example, I believe RT systems cables only work with their software...

Tino, VE6MB
Calgary, AB

While not saying you are wrong, I am scratching my head a little. The RT Systems cable for my FT-857D works fine as a CAT cable to control the radio with HRD. I have not tried other programming software though.

KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »

I program 3 Yaesu radios with my laptop. Never have they keyed up when I plugged in the cable. None that I have use a RJ12 for programming though. I bought the RT Systems kits for each radio. Some will whine about them being a little expensive but they work. It comes with cable and software.

The mic connector is also known as a RJ12, hence my reference to it. How were you attaching your pc to the 3 radios you mentioned? Regarding price, I now read that "Chirp" supports the FT2900.

RJ45: 8P8C = 8 Position 8 Contact – used in Network Wiring
RJ12: 6P6C = 6 Position 6 Conductor – used in System phones
RJ11: 6P4C = 6 Position 4 Conductor – used for ADSL, telephone, and modem cables etc.
RJ9 / RJ10 / RJ22: 4P4C = 4 Position 4 Conductor – used for Telephone Handset cables.

The RJ11 and RJ12 are the same size, even though they have a different number of contacts.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »

The mic connector is also known as a RJ12, hence my reference to it. How were you attaching your pc to the 3 radios you mentioned? Regarding price, I now read that "Chirp" supports the FT2900.

RJ11: 6P4C = 6 Position 4 Conductor – used for ADSL, telephone, and modem cables etc.
RJ9 / RJ10 / RJ22: 4P4C = 4 Position 4 Conductor – used for Telephone Handset cables.

The RJ11 and RJ12 are the same size, even though they have a different number of contacts.

The programming cables for the FT-857D and FT-8800 plug into the CAT port . The one for the handheld, FT-60R, plugs into the mic port.

VE6MB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »

Tino, VE6MB
Calgary, AB

While not saying you are wrong, I am scratching my head a little. The RT Systems cable for my FT-857D works fine as a CAT cable to control the radio with HRD. I have not tried other programming software though.

No worries, it was a little unclear from the initial post what cable and/or software was being used. Whether they were genuine Yaesu or some other manufacture... Thanks for the info re: cables..... I know some of the RT cables may be proprietary, but I haven't tried their products on all of my radios.
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:05 AM »

The programming cables for the FT-857D and FT-8800 plug into the CAT port . The one for the handheld, FT-60R, plugs into the mic port.

Well that's all well & good for those models. The FT-2900r has no CAT port. Yaesu don't make a cable for programming but they show how you may clone one 2900 to another, via the mic connector (pg 69). The software I bought was developed by G4HFQ. My first USB cable was some nameless chinese item said to work with my model of radio, it didn't. I have another cable coming from Utah (Valley Enterprises) that is Ham tested. I'll report back after this weekend regarding function. Jeff
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »

Well that's all well & good for those models. The FT-2900r has no CAT port. Yaesu don't make a cable for programming but they show how you may clone one 2900 to another, via the mic connector (pg 69). The software I bought was developed by G4HFQ. My first USB cable was some nameless chinese item said to work with my model of radio, it didn't. I have another cable coming from Utah (Valley Enterprises) that is Ham tested. I'll report back after this weekend regarding function. Jeff

RT Systems sells a cable for the FT-2900. https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/USB-29F-Programming-cable-p/usb-29f.htm

KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »

OK, the new USB cable worked as expected. It came from Valley Enterprises of Idaho. You can find them on ebad. The software from G4HFG in the UK works extremely well and if you activate the standard presets for USA it loads the offsets. Drop downs are provided for Tone type and frequency and they will populate with 1,2 or 3 keystrokes for standards. No complaints on cable or program. The cable was $20 and $15 for the software.

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/index.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391223964007?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: