The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6300 is an awesome SWL  (Read 11339 times)
KK4YDR

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:45:25 PM »

So I never post in this forum. I do SWL a lot and wanted to let folks know that I have been the owner of a Flex Radio 6300 signature series for a few days now and have been SWL with fantastic results. In addition to rag chewing on the ham bands which is amazing on this radio, it also doubles as a fantastic short wave radio when you play with the filtering right and other things. It takes a little getting used to but if anyone out there is wanting a good HAM radio that can also perform stellar on SWL enjoyment the Flex radio series, assuming all models, are fantastic. I know this isn't an informative thread by any means but just wanted to let people know how much I am actually enjoying shortwave listening via my Flex radio.

I used to own a SDRPlay SDR receiver only and it was also an awesome SW radio also if you guys haven't thought about that one. I think they cost $150 usd right now and can outperform many expensive desktop receivers.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:04:25 AM »

Have you tried your Flex 6300 on longwave? I see that it's rated down to 30 kHz. From 4-land you should be able to easily pick up the French AM broadcaster on 162 kHz late at night and the German/French station on 171. Have you tested it on our 600-meter ham band around 473 kHz?

I have a Flex-5000 which is useless below the AM BCB where I'm forced to use a converter. The 5000 works fine for SWLing.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:47:32 AM by K0OD » Logged
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »

I will give it a try tonight. I do not speak French and thus will not be able to understand what is spoken.
N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »

The 6300 is very similar to the 6500 so they should be more or less the same on LF and below. The 6500 performs excellent down below 500 kHz. Seeing and hearing WWVB at 60 kHz is a piece of cake too. And of course there are tons of NDBs easily seen on the display, and they are all an easy click to tune in. All that I'm using for an antenna down there is my 80/75/40M parallel dipole.

Even more fun is that I have been routinely running WSJT-X WSPR-2 mode and having it decode the beacons that are on the 630M band. And then be simultaneously be running Fldigi on one of the HF bands decoding PSK-31, and then be tuning around and listening to SSB signals on perhaps yet another different HF band. The radio itself could do even more than that. So there is no need to have to pick one mode or band or the other, you can do several of them all at the exact same time with just the one radio. The 6300 would be more limited with just two bands or modes at the same time, but the same basic multi-mode multi-bands at the same time capabilities do apply to it too.

And yes the 5000 doesn't work well at all below the AM BCB, the 6K series is a completely different story.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 12:13:50 AM »

The Flex bandscope is useful down there. I see blips on 162 and 171 kHz and other European AM channels even when I can't hear those broadcasts. Sometimes I see a weak blip on 1521 kHz which I presume is the high power broadcaster in Saudi Arabia. There's no way I could ID that station from Missouri with it being 1 kHz off a US channel.

WWVB's digital signal on 60.000 kHz is loud here day and night. Heck, some wristwatches were made to pick it up. 
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »

I am mildly interested in an SDR for SWL and MW-DX. I have read the reviews for Flex and Winradio models. I may consider an older used one.
I would like to try a model with DSP as RFI is pretty bad here at times. Noise limiters/blankers on conventional receivers just aren't effective for some noise types.
I do enjoy listening to GlobalTuners.com and the WebSDR receiver available at the University of Twente (its almost like owning your very own SDR, but it's free  Grin): http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
 Using someone else's antenna on another part of the planet and in a different time zone offers an interesting perspective on reception/propagation.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 10:43:56 AM »

Can your hear the BBC on 198khz ?
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »

I can constantly hear DJD -.. .--- -.. over and over and over in morse on 410khz which I believe is a NAVAID for Aircraft

I think I am limited right now by use of my 160m HAM loop I use for transmission on.

I am going to build a beverage just for SWL sometime in the next few weeks.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »

Can your hear the BBC on 198khz ?

I used to be able to hear the BBC on 198 weakly. I'm not sure its on the air anymore. The French powerhouse station on 162 kHz is in some danger of shutting down. That would be a big loss. It's hard for those LW stations to buy 2 megawatt tubes with RadioShack mostly gone. LOL!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »

I can constantly hear DJD -.. .--- -.. over and over and over in morse on 410khz which I believe is a NAVAID for Aircraft

I think I am limited right now by use of my 160m HAM loop I use for transmission on.

I am going to build a beverage just for SWL sometime in the next few weeks.

The DJD non-directional aircraft beacon is listed to be in Canton GA and transmits on 415 kHz
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

LW NDBs are easy to pick up, especially at night. Just about any antenna will work for them. i've heard some >1,500 miles away. Most run very small antennas and low power, but some are better equipped. They are gradually going extinct. 
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »

BBC 4 is still there on 198kHz.
 Radio France Int'l is on 162kHz.
 They come in loud and clear on the WebSDR link that I posted. Try it.
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »

What rcvr and antenna system are you using? Curious. I will try and see if I can them in the next few days. Solar weather appears awful tonight for SW bands.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:33:29 PM »

Isn't that web SDR located in Holland? No wonder the 2 Megawatt French station on 162 kHz is loud.  The distance is a few hundred miles. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_Inter

"France Inter broadcasts on FM transmitters across France, via the internet, and available in many parts of Western Europe on longwave on 162kHz. The 162kHz transmitter is scheduled to be closed in 2016, saving €13m. A petition has been started to attempt to reverse Radio France's decision to close the transmitter.[1]"
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:43 AM »

What rcvr and antenna system are you using? Curious. I will try and see if I can them in the next few days. Solar weather appears awful tonight for SW bands.

I'm using their receiver and antenna at the University of Twente in Holland while sitting at my desktop in Rochester, NY. See reply #5 for the link.
 I use the waterfall view and the station ID markers take away a lot of guesswork of what is available out there.
 There are things there that you can't listen to here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: